Relocating to Waco

6,115 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by BearVerdad
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cowboycwr said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

It is headed the right direction, finally and slowly.

In the last 6 weeks, a couple of eyesores have been torn down, Showtime being one of them.

New stuff is coming.
Showtime is gone???

LIQR will need a new spot to attend.....
First Sue #2s and now Showtime has been leveled. A part of my teen years ripped away. Nothing left on Lasalle anymore.
Edmond Bear
SmallMan1209 said:

I heard awhile ago that La Salle was supposed to get a pickleball restaurant. That would be a good start for some positive development

Like this? If so, that would be amazing.

BUgolfbear
Went to Chicken N Pickle in Wichita couple of years ago. Awesome experience, but not sure how it would work with TX heat.
Edmond Bear
BUgolfbear said:

Went to Chicken N Pickle in Wichita couple of years ago. Awesome experience, but not sure how it would work with TX heat.

That pic is from the one in OKC. It's a lot of fun.

Heat is not too much different than Waco.
Localbear
There are at least two of them in Dallas so heat definitely is ok
Coke Bear
Waco would need significantly more shade structures that the photo above.
LIB,MR BEARS
Edmond Bear said:

BUgolfbear said:

I'm guessing the humidity that accompanies that heat is different. Just my guess.

That pic is from the one in OKC. It's a lot of fun.

Heat is not too much different than Waco.

CTbruin
The city doesn't "build up" LaSalle. It private capital money that builds anything worthwhile. I have been here a long time. LaSalle has improved. But it's more commercial.
Edmond Bear
CTbruin said:

The city doesn't "build up" LaSalle. It private capital money that builds anything worthwhile. I have been here a long time. LaSalle has improved. But it's more commercial.

This is not how city development works. Public money starts first. And then, private follows.

The City of Waco has a sizable economic development office. They have a strategic plan that governs development in Waco. They provide develop incentive programs (i.e. TIF, Tax breaks, etc) to get private money to do business Waco and typically push them to develop in specific areas. The Riverfront is a great example.

They also reach out to private entities to convince them to open manufacturing, retail, hotels, restaurants, office, etc in areas of town that they want to push.

LaSalle is dead because the city hasn't decided it needs to put money there to develop it. Private money doesn't show up out of nowhere and decide it needs to develop an area.

Here is Waco's Economic Development Strategic Plan developed in 2023: https://www.waco-texas.com/files/content/public/v/49/departments/economic-development/2023-04-20-waco-edsp-final.pdf

FrankFallonCalling
This pickleball club is going up in Belton https://www.facebook.com/thecommonwealthtexas/. Seems like scale-appropriate model for Waco.
Edmond Bear
FrankFallonCalling said:

This pickleball club is going up in Belton https://www.facebook.com/thecommonwealthtexas/. Seems like scale-appropriate model for Waco.

That would look good on LaSalle but their business model is a private club with annual dues.

That might go well in Woodway or Hewitt.
FrankFallonCalling
Edmond Bear said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

That would look good on LaSalle but their business model is a private club with annual dues.

True. Memberships would be tough there. The size and amenities/retail mix seem like they might be a good fit for the Baylor crowd.
LIB,MR BEARS
FrankFallonCalling said:

Edmond Bear said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

True. Memberships would be tough there. The size and amenities/retail mix seem like they might be a good fit for the Baylor crowd.
how about just across the river from the Hilton? Lots of improvements in that area.
whitetrash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Edmond Bear said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

how about just across the river from the Hilton? Lots of improvements in that area.
Pickleball would be a whole lot more interesting if you never knew when the Lipsitz car crusher was going to drop a 2004 Hyundai on the court.
LIB,MR BEARS
whitetrash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Edmond Bear said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Pickleball would be a whole lot more interesting if you never knew when the Lipsitz car crusher was going to drop a 2004 Hyundai on the court.

Timing your serve with the occasional exploding fuel tank can be very intimidating
Wacoraisedbear
Edmond Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

Y'all are nuts. La Salle is fantastic with La Familia, El Charro, La Milpa, and the dude selling tamales across the street from the flea market all gracing us with their presence.

El Charro is mid. Taco Z and the food truck dude selling quesobirria and tamales are amazing.

The fact that you called taco Z Amazing just ruined your whole argument they are horrible me being Hispanic my standards are probably a little different than yours taquisa in route 77 food park is acceptable you got that one right el charro is good depending on what you get caldo and carne guisada can't go wrong with
4th and Inches
BUgolfbear said:

there is one in the grapevine area
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
BigGameBaylorBear
Might be late to the conversation but I heard that Waco is trying to relocate the homeless out of downtown to La Salle by moving the Salvation Army over there. Haven't been to Waco in months though so idk
LIB,MR BEARS
BigGameBaylorBear said:

Might be late to the conversation but I heard that Waco is trying to relocate the homeless out of downtown to La Salle by moving the Salvation Army over there. Haven't been to Waco in months though so idk
Correct.

Currently the shelter is a block from the Silos. They want to get them away from the downtown rebuild.
Funky Town Bear
4th and Inches said:

BUgolfbear said:

there is one in the grapevine area
It's on HWY 121 just west of DFW airport. They are constantly busy.
BearVerdad
BigGameBaylorBear said:

While that might help Downtown's problems, there are lots of student apartments off La Salle…as with most things, there's often no good solution to homeless, er, "unhoused", problems
cowboycwr
I found out this last weekend there is an indoor pickleball place in Fort Worth- courtside kitchen. Didn't get to go to it but it made me think of this thread.
BigGameBaylorBear
cowboycwr said:

I found out this last weekend there is an indoor pickleball place in Fort Worth- courtside kitchen. Didn't get to go to it but it made me think of this thread.

Awesome thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna have to check it out
Edmond Bear
BearVerdad said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

While that might help Downtown's problems, there are lots of student apartments off La Salle…as with most things, there's often no good solution to homeless, er, "unhoused", problems

The City is trading 10 acres off of LaSalle to the Salvation Army - https://wacotrib.com/news/local/government-politics/salvation-army-shapes-plans-for-new-la-salle-avenue-campus/article_7eb9be78-9f5b-11ee-9233-330a7dd957a8.html

Mission Waco is also building an 'Unhoused' Village further down University Parks - a little bit outside of the city - https://missionwaco.org/creekside-community-development/. Tiny homes are supposed to start construction this fall.

FrankFallonCalling
Edmond Bear said:

BearVerdad said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

The City is trading 10 acres off of LaSalle to the Salvation Army - https://wacotrib.com/news/local/government-politics/salvation-army-shapes-plans-for-new-la-salle-avenue-campus/article_7eb9be78-9f5b-11ee-9233-330a7dd957a8.html

Mission Waco is also building an 'Unhoused' Village further down University Parks - a little bit outside of the city - https://missionwaco.org/creekside-community-development/. Tiny homes are supposed to start construction this fall.

The Mission Waco Creekside Community is a really cool development. It's not going to solve the problem, but it is a really good step toward a sustainable solution. It will be closer to the Little League fields, so not really a part of the La Salle area at all.
Coke Bear
FrankFallonCalling said:

The Mission Waco Creekside Community is a really cool development. It's not going to solve the problem, but it is a really good step toward a sustainable solution. It will be closer to the Little League fields, so not really a part of the La Salle area at all.
No, it will not solve the problem. Our country does not have a homeless problem. We have mental health and substance abuse problems masquerading as a homeless problem.

I'm not knocking what they are doing. Kudos to them. My youngest son and his GF (social work major at BU) volunteer there.
LIB,MR BEARS
Coke Bear said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

No, it will not solve the problem. Our country does not have a homeless problem. We have mental health and substance abuse problems masquerading as a homeless problem.

I'm not knocking what they are doing. Kudos to them. My youngest son and his GF (social work major at BU) volunteer there.

BINGO!!!
Edmond Bear
Coke Bear said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Agree that the source of most chronic homelessness is substance abuse and mental health. Because of your kids' involvement, I'm sure you know Mission Waco provides multiple programs that address these issues including live-in treatment and counseling.

I cannot imagine that they would not include these programs as a part of helping people living in Creekside.

cowboycwr
FrankFallonCalling said:

Edmond Bear said:

BearVerdad said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

It won't be a step towards a solution. At least not a sustainable one. Every time a city, organization, etc. gives people free places to stay, especially ones with mental/emotional issues they tend to destroy the property.
Edmond Bear
cowboycwr said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Edmond Bear said:

BearVerdad said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

It won't be a step towards a solution. At least not a sustainable one. Every time a city, organization, etc. gives people free places to stay, especially ones with mental/emotional issues they tend to destroy the property.

It is built on a model that is working in Austin.
Lund Vernquist
Lund Vernquist
From what I have read, every resident has to pay rent. I'm sure it's a sliding scale based on various factors but everyone is required to work and no one lives for free.
Funky Town Bear
Lund Vernquist said:

From what I have read, every resident has to pay rent. I'm sure it's a sliding scale based on various factors but everyone is required to work and no one lives for free.
I have a family member in the Austin version. It is a sliding scale, but he does have to pay. Unfortunately, his head is so screwed up he will not ever get better. That ship sailed long ago.
Nguyen One Soon
Since the O'Connor v. Donaldson in 1975, we have seen an ever-growing number of mentally ill folks on the streets. That is the decision that turned loose a mentally ill guy in Florida who had been confined for 15 years. SCOTUS said people could no longer be held for safekeeping without active treatment going on. Of course, drug use exploding since then has not helped either.
T-REX
BearVerdad said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

won't really be near any of the Apts nor houses that are populated by students. Basically co.pletely different parts of Lasalle as far as I understand.
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.