Why so little River front housing?

2,821 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by william
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco has the Brazos and Bosque rivers running through it. Normally, that would be hot property. But, the vast majority is farmland.

I know one new development is going in but very little housing will actually front the river. And, there is another development off Gholson Road.

Is there so little housing because of flooding? Farmers not interested in selling? Something else?
Marlin3030
I hope it never gets developed.
Stranger
Edmond Bear said:

Waco has the Brazos and Bosque rivers running through it. Normally, that would be hot property. But, the vast majority is farmland.

I know one new development is going in but very little housing will actually front the river. And, there is another development off Gholson Road.

Is there so little housing because of flooding? Farmers not interested in selling? Something else?

flooding
I'm a Bearbacker
GoBearsGo
Flooding
CTbruin
Flooding?

Common sense posting is discouraged here
BylrFan
Flooding
southtexasbear
So we're saying flooding?
Edmond Bear

I'm sensing a theme here.

OsoCoreyell
Almost all of the part you see as farmland is in the flood plain. And you can't just build a berm and start building houses on it.
CTbruin
There is some very nice residential development north of Waco on the Brazos. Art Briles had a very nice home there.
cowboycwr
CTbruin said:

Flooding?

Are you saying flooding is not an issue?
boxster
and as recently posted, a big residential development next to the river is in the works.
boxster
So I don't think flooding is the answer as much as the demand sufficient to justify incurring the costs to handle the flooding has not been there.
CTbruin
cowboycwr said:

CTbruin said:

Flooding?

Are you saying flooding is not an issue?

No
cowboycwr
As already mentioned there is some development along the river north of Waco. The houses just aren't on the water/river as they are a little bit off (about 100 yards in most cases) and very large lots (usually).

One reason could be the lack of roads going along the river/towards the river which would increase the cost of any development, especially if it now involves building a new road and talking to multiple land owners.

Also, somewhere north and south of Waco the Brazos stops looking like it does through town and looks more like other Texas rivers. This means that in the middle of summer it is a trickle in many places and you can take your shoes off to cross without your knees getting wet. At other times (like now) it is full, flowing and can get pretty wide.

Finally, at times like now you can see spots where it washes away parts of the banks causing many parts of the river to have banks that have a steep drop down to the actual river, again unlike Waco where it is pretty flat with the banks. The river in Waco stays pretty constant because of the dams, that prevent flooding like can be seen in old photos
SteamedHams
Here's your reason.
chorne68
CAB had a home on the Brazos River. It was great with a beautiful view.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
It's been interesting to see thoughts on this topic.
TenBears
Water moccasins crawling in bed with you?
SmallMan1209
SteamedHams said:

Here's your reason.

This is the Brazos, right?
SteamedHams
No,this is the South Bosque as it passes under Highway 84 next to Bear Ridge Golf Course.

Yogi
Easy. One of my clients lives off the river and the water got to her back yard last week.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
cowboycwr
SteamedHams said:

Here's your reason.

Where is that?
SteamedHams
cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

Here's your reason.

Where is that?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SoEAJLJXEuK67L6v7

cowboycwr
SteamedHams said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

Here's your reason.

Where is that?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SoEAJLJXEuK67L6v7

Thanks. I should have finished reading the thread before posting as you already answered it.

My apologies.
RealEstateBear
Many land owners along the Brazos are farmers going way back in the day. Farmers rarely liquidate and when they do it's for stupid high $$$$. I've reached out to several and threw out my price opinions on them but to no avail. Some close to a million.

william
beavers guild.

- kkm

{ sipping coffee }
pro ecclesia, pro javelina
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.