A Taste of Laos - New Location

2,466 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Yogi
ARbear13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A Taste of Laos recently opened their new location on Hewitt Drive.

I've tried almost every Asian restaurant in Waco, and it is head-and-shoulders above the competition. If anything, their food is even better than it was at their previous location. Clay Pot is a strong second, but they have a few misses on their menu. A Taste of Laos hits on every dish I've tried. They are a little more expensive than they used to be (still not very expensive), but the huge portion size and quality more than makes up for it.

Waco's restaurant scene has improved tremendously over the past 10-15 years, but its Asian options are still lagging behind pretty badly. I hope we can ensure that an excellent local place like A Taste of Laos succeeds.

They are open for lunch and dinner until 8:00 on every day except Sunday. They also work with DoorDash, if you'd prefer to have your food delivered.
Yogi
Thanks for the tip.

I will try and make it next time I am in town.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BaylorHistory
Where are they at on Hewitt Drive? Google is giving me the old location.
ARbear13
BaylorHistory said:

They're in the old shopping center where Pee Wee's used to be, past Midway Middle School. It's right behind the "Celestial Metaphysical" crystal shop that closed.
trey3216
ARbear13 said:

BaylorHistory said:

They're in the old shopping center where Pee Wee's used to be, past Midway Middle School. It's right behind the "Celestial Metaphysical" crystal shop that closed.
I live not far from there and still don't know where you're talking about. lol

and I"m still a fan of Bangkok Royale. Their green curry is dynamite.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
ARbear13
trey3216 said:

ARbear13 said:

BaylorHistory said:

I live not far from there and still don't know where you're talking about. lol

and I"m still a fan of Bangkok Royale. Their green curry is dynamite.
I don't know the name of the shopping center. If you're driving down Hewitt Drive, you can see a closed New Age shop that says "Celestial Sisters" or something like that. The restaurant is in the same parking lot around the corner from that store. It's on the same side of Hewitt Drive as the middle school, just a little further toward I-35.
Moondoggie
Celestial sisters? You sure the location is not in Austin?
trey3216
Moondoggie said:

My favorite 'tea'
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
ARbear13
Moondoggie said:

Yeah, I always thought it seemed out of place in a town like Hewitt. Suburban Waco isn't exactly a hotbed of New Age metaphysical thought, lol. Not too shocking that it went out of business.
D1845
A Taste of Laos
108 Jim Drive
Hewitt, Texas
Yogi
Across from the Baylor Scott & White Clinic before you get to the car wash.
loanbear
ARbear13 said:

BaylorHistory said:

Ugh, location matters. Kept meaning to try Pee Wees, but it was in a terrible location with no visibility. The fact that you have to explain where they are located makes it a bad decision. I see too many good places fail because they have terrible locations. Will try to support this one because their food is legit.
ARbear13
Yeah, it's not a great location, but it's still much better than their previous one. At least this place is actually accessible without making a major detour.

A Taste of Laos started as a home business in the owner's kitchen, so they've come a long way. Maybe they'll be able to afford an even better place if their business keeps growing like it is.
Yogi
loanbear said:

ARbear13 said:

BaylorHistory said:

Ugh, location matters. Kept meaning to try Pee Wees, but it was in a terrible location with no visibility. The fact that you have to explain where they are located makes it a bad decision. I see too many good places fail because they have terrible locations. Will try to support this one because their food is legit.
Here's my take on Pee Wee's:

1. Too much fried stuff for my age and condition, but the food they served was actually really good. They had good proportions as well.

2. The price was fair for the food served, but I think a majority of the Waco market would not see the offerings as a good value given the prices. I personally didn't have an issue with the prices, but that was the biggest complaint I heard from people in the area.

3. The location is terrible. You're hidden. If you're not facing Hewitt Drive, then you're pretty much in the industrial district. I will venture to guess that a majority of people in the Waco metro never knew Pee Wee's even existed - and that's a shame.

Also with the location: it was small and really had no charm to it. I think they did the best they could with the budget they had on that place. I think if Pee Wee's was in the Central Texas Marketplace or even in one of those spaces near the intersection of Valley Mills and Waco Drives, it would have done much better. Would it have survived? The market has to know who you are and that you are open for business.
SteamedHams
Love Taste of Laos, been probably 15 times in the gas station. The 5/5 spice level will cause your insides to burst into flames. In a good way.

New location here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/mfJyW2nb9kkLeYj78

WacoKelly83
Pee Wee's is now called Armstrong's and moved into the new Union Grove in Woodway.. They trimmed down their menu and are doing quite well. The gumbo and eutoufee are my favorites.
BaylorGuy314
SteamedHams said:

The 5/5 spice level will cause your insides to burst into flames. In a good way.

There is no good way for your insides to burst into flames.
ARbear13
WacoKelly83 said:

Pee Wee's is now called Armstrong's and moved into the new Union Grove in Woodway.. They trimmed down their menu and are doing quite well. The gumbo and eutoufee are my favorites.

I didn't know that Armstrong's was the same restaurant as PeeWee's. I agree about their etoufee. I also really like their Bayou pasta.
BaylorHistory
BaylorGuy314 said:

SteamedHams said:

The 5/5 spice level will cause your insides to burst into flames. In a good way.

You sound like a man/woman who has never enjoyed a bout of diarrhea on a Saturday afternoon when you had nothing in the world to do.
RightRevBear
WacoKelly83 said:

Their spicy shrimp boil with sausage and corn is delicious too.
Moondoggie
Well damn, am i trying "A taste of laos" or "Armstrong's" today?!?

Just LOVE spice!
Yogi
BaylorHistory said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

SteamedHams said:

You sound like a man/woman who has never enjoyed a bout of diarrhea on a Saturday afternoon when you had nothing in the world to do.
Yeah, but when it happens on Sunday mornings, the preacher doesn't seem to be terribly amused...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.