North Valley Mills Restaurant Row

3,578 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 53 min ago by forza orsi
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I remember a Gattis also on the other end of VM near 35 kind of next to where Marstellar Motor was. This would have been from about the time span of 84-91/92 that I remember it being there.
Delmar 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

I remember a Gattis also on the other end of VM near 35 kind of next to where Marstellar Motor was. This would have been from about the time span of 84-91/92 that I remember it being there.

I believe it lasted there until approx 2005, I remember going there in the early 2000's.
I ain't quite as dumb as I seem
-- (P.C. 1974)
Eleven-League Grant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harrison Bergeron said:

Do you guys remember the old "restaurant row" on South Valley Mills: it included J.T. McCords and Steak & Ale. I thought there were 1-2 other restaurants in that little strip ... anyone remember what other restaurants were there?

I'll date myself a bit here, but I recall in the 1983-1985 time period there was a place just to the south of J.T. McCord's on the same side of the street.

It always seemed a bit run down, but I had friends at the time tell me it was pretty good. My memory keeps pulling up 'Frogs' or something like that. I'm afraid that's all I've got to add on this.

Not much, but there it is.
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eleven-League Grant said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Do you guys remember the old "restaurant row" on South Valley Mills: it included J.T. McCords and Steak & Ale. I thought there were 1-2 other restaurants in that little strip ... anyone remember what other restaurants were there?

I'll date myself a bit here, but I recall in the 1983-1985 time period there was a place just to the south of J.T. McCord's on the same side of the street.

It always seemed a bit run down, but I had friends at the time tell me it was pretty good. My memory keeps pulling up 'Frogs' or something like that. I'm afraid that's all I've got to add on this.

Not much, but there it is.


There was a seafood place about where the Ferguson showroom is now that opened in around spring 1983 or so. Had a wooden deck and trees IIRC. Was the hottest spot in town for about 3-4 months. Supposedly they trucked fresh seafood up from the gulf coast, but lost their supplier after a few months and it went downhill rapidly. I think it was gone in less than a year. Have no recollection of its name.
Grinnin bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I sure have some great memories from Pancho's Mexican Buffet. Their chile rellenos were [chef's kiss].
Eleven-League Grant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

There was a seafood place about where the Ferguson showroom is now that opened in around spring 1983 or so. Had a wooden deck and trees IIRC.

Bingo. That's the place.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.
GoldenBear03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.


According to Gemini, the place you're thinking of is Pelican's Wharf.

Other restaurants of the time it mentions being on "Restaurant Row" are Western Sizzlin, Shakey's Pizza, and A&W Drive-In.
Harrison Bergeron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TechDawgMc said:

Coke Bear said:

Mr Tulip said:

Chili's was in the parking lot of Sack n Save (used to be Woolco). The building was built on the remains of an old filling station / car battery shop. The dirt was too polluted to build, so it had to be remediated. My wife (then girlfriend) was an original waitress when they opened. It's another grotty chicken tender chain now.

I, too, was one of the original hires when they opened. My clock number was #14. I have no clue why I still remember that other than thinking that I was the 14th person hired when they opened.

Chili's has changed significantly since the '90's. Gone are the actual glass mug for drinks. They're all cheap plastic now. The chicken tenders are the cheap breaded ones that you can buy at Sam's. They used to be fried in a light and fluffy Tempura batter. Gone are the curly fries. My wife and I ordered from the "new" one near I-35 around the Covid time frame. I won't be back. Too many other quality restaurants in town.

I doubt there is another restaurant that has managed to make as many dishes that I really liked, and then killed them off the menu. Chili's has shown a remarkable talent for that. There probably are at least 7-8 different dishes -- plus one dessert. When you consider how many places almost never change their menu, it's a bit of an accomplishment.

In my town, Chili's is packed seven days a week. I am shocked how well it still does given Bennigan's and Friday's are gone.
4th and Inches
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harrison Bergeron said:

TechDawgMc said:

Coke Bear said:

Mr Tulip said:

Chili's was in the parking lot of Sack n Save (used to be Woolco). The building was built on the remains of an old filling station / car battery shop. The dirt was too polluted to build, so it had to be remediated. My wife (then girlfriend) was an original waitress when they opened. It's another grotty chicken tender chain now.

I, too, was one of the original hires when they opened. My clock number was #14. I have no clue why I still remember that other than thinking that I was the 14th person hired when they opened.

Chili's has changed significantly since the '90's. Gone are the actual glass mug for drinks. They're all cheap plastic now. The chicken tenders are the cheap breaded ones that you can buy at Sam's. They used to be fried in a light and fluffy Tempura batter. Gone are the curly fries. My wife and I ordered from the "new" one near I-35 around the Covid time frame. I won't be back. Too many other quality restaurants in town.

I doubt there is another restaurant that has managed to make as many dishes that I really liked, and then killed them off the menu. Chili's has shown a remarkable talent for that. There probably are at least 7-8 different dishes -- plus one dessert. When you consider how many places almost never change their menu, it's a bit of an accomplishment.

In my town, Chili's is packed seven days a week. I am shocked how well it still does given Bennigan's and Friday's are gone.
chilis is a very popular restaurant among all three major age groups over 18.

It is actually first in the 18 to 29 range.
Adopt A Bear 2026

94 Palmer Williams

2025:
Ray Guy Award Watch List
• Preseason Second-Team All-America (Phil Steele)
• Preseason Third-Team All-America (Athlon)
• Preseason All-Big 12 (Big 12 Media)
• Preseason First-Team All-Big 12 (Athlon, Phil Steele)
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoldenBear03 said:

PartyBear said:

I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.


According to Gemini, the place you're thinking of is Pelican's Wharf.

Other restaurants of the time it mentions being on "Restaurant Row" are Western Sizzlin, Shakey's Pizza, and A&W Drive-In.


Interesting, Pelican's Wharf does sound familiar and now vague or perhaps even false memory of a sign with a Pelican is popping up. However I'm certain I never ate there I don't remember the building described here.
Harrison Bergeron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

GoldenBear03 said:

PartyBear said:

I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.


According to Gemini, the place you're thinking of is Pelican's Wharf.

Other restaurants of the time it mentions being on "Restaurant Row" are Western Sizzlin, Shakey's Pizza, and A&W Drive-In.


Interesting, Pelican's Wharf does sound familiar and now vague or perhaps even false memory of a sign with a Pelican is popping up. However I'm certain I never ate there I don't remember the building described here.

Pelican's was on the north side of Lakeshore Drive. It was kind of near Water Works. It burned down, but its sign was there through the early to mid-90s.
GoldBoy232
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chili's is actually having a renaissance of sorts. You can find several articles and CNBC segments over the last year or so about their comeback. Their CEO has really done a good job turning the company around financially in a big way simplifying the menu, improvingthe food quality, and the service quality, and the restaurants themselves. If you haven't tried it lately, I'd give it a shot. I mean, it's still Chili's, but it's definitely better than it was maybe five years ago.
Nguyen One Soon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harrison Bergeron said:

PartyBear said:

GoldenBear03 said:

PartyBear said:

I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.


According to Gemini, the place you're thinking of is Pelican's Wharf.

Other restaurants of the time it mentions being on "Restaurant Row" are Western Sizzlin, Shakey's Pizza, and A&W Drive-In.


Interesting, Pelican's Wharf does sound familiar and now vague or perhaps even false memory of a sign with a Pelican is popping up. However I'm certain I never ate there I don't remember the building described here.

Pelican's was on the north side of Lakeshore Drive. It was kind of near Water Works. It burned down, but its sign was there through the early to mid-90s.

Pelican's was on Lake Brazos, not Lakeshore. It burned in June of 1990.
Coke Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nguyen One Soon said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

PartyBear said:

GoldenBear03 said:

PartyBear said:

I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.


According to Gemini, the place you're thinking of is Pelican's Wharf.

Other restaurants of the time it mentions being on "Restaurant Row" are Western Sizzlin, Shakey's Pizza, and A&W Drive-In.


Interesting, Pelican's Wharf does sound familiar and now vague or perhaps even false memory of a sign with a Pelican is popping up. However I'm certain I never ate there I don't remember the building described here.

Pelican's was on the north side of Lakeshore Drive. It was kind of near Water Works. It burned down, but its sign was there through the early to mid-90s.

Pelican's was on Lake Brazos, not Lakeshore. It burned in June of 1990.
"Burned" - a nice euphemism for arson. Waco's had many "burned" restaurants in its history.
Coke Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoldBoy232 said:

Chili's is actually having a renaissance of sorts. You can find several articles and CNBC segments over the last year or so about their comeback. Their CEO has really done a good job turning the company around financially in a big way simplifying the menu, improvingthe food quality, and the service quality, and the restaurants themselves. If you haven't tried it lately, I'd give it a shot. I mean, it's still Chili's, but it's definitely better than it was maybe five years ago.
have they reverted back to the original chicken tenders?

What's interest about their original service levels is that they were very specific about their training of how to properly serve a table.

Each section was a two-person team. IIRC, they wanted every table at least greater within 30 seconds of them sitting down.

If it was your teammates table, that person would walk by and say something like, "Hey, your server will be with you in a minute." If they had the time, they would even get the drink order. When suggesting a drink, we'd read the room an offer a margarita or beer and then try to upsell with Top Shelf. Always be selling.

Studies showed, even in the 90's, that customers were happy when, at least, greeted and acknowledged within 30'seconds. My kids at some point all worked food service. I told them about this and it still worked for them.

When taking the drink order, we always offered an appetizer like cheese sticks or chips and salsa.

We joked about something we called the Jedi nod. When offering the apps, we'd always nod our head. That simple subliminal heater would led to people ordering an appetizer about 80-90% of the time.

We'd try to take their order at that point, if they were ready.

If not, we get the order when we returned with the food and/or apps.

We had food runners to assist with getting the meals to the table if we could do it as soon as the meals were ready.

After dropping off the food, we come back within a minute to ensure that everything was correct or they needed anything else like napkins or refills.

We'd always suggest dessert, and if they didn't want dessert or anything else, we'd drop the bill and tell them that we were their cashier when they were ready and to take their time.

TL;DR - Chili's used to have a simple and effective training and table service system. I'm not sure what broke other than it's a different generation.
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harrison Bergeron said:

Do you guys remember the old "restaurant row" on South Valley Mills: it included J.T. McCords and Steak & Ale. I thought there were 1-2 other restaurants in that little strip ... anyone remember what other restaurants were there?

JT McCords... my first date spot circa 87-89 as frosh/soph
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

I remember a Gattis also on the other end of VM near 35 kind of next to where Marstellar Motor was. This would have been from about the time span of 84-91/92 that I remember it being there.

I remember going there with my sister when she was a student 79-83
TechDawgMc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoldBoy232 said:

Chili's is actually having a renaissance of sorts. You can find several articles and CNBC segments over the last year or so about their comeback. Their CEO has really done a good job turning the company around financially in a big way simplifying the menu, improvingthe food quality, and the service quality, and the restaurants themselves. If you haven't tried it lately, I'd give it a shot. I mean, it's still Chili's, but it's definitely better than it was maybe five years ago.

They've done a pretty good job of creating some affordable things. My wife and I will split one of the 3 for me things, and she has their "membership" thing that gets us free chips and salsa. We can eat for about $25 with the tip--cheaper than a lot of fast food places.
Harrison Bergeron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nguyen One Soon said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

PartyBear said:

GoldenBear03 said:

PartyBear said:

I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.


According to Gemini, the place you're thinking of is Pelican's Wharf.

Other restaurants of the time it mentions being on "Restaurant Row" are Western Sizzlin, Shakey's Pizza, and A&W Drive-In.


Interesting, Pelican's Wharf does sound familiar and now vague or perhaps even false memory of a sign with a Pelican is popping up. However I'm certain I never ate there I don't remember the building described here.

Pelican's was on the north side of Lakeshore Drive. It was kind of near Water Works. It burned down, but its sign was there through the early to mid-90s.

Pelican's was on Lake Brazos, not Lakeshore. It burned in June of 1990.

I was thinking that but typed the wrong thing LOL. Thanks.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harrison Bergeron said:

PartyBear said:

GoldenBear03 said:

PartyBear said:

I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.


According to Gemini, the place you're thinking of is Pelican's Wharf.

Other restaurants of the time it mentions being on "Restaurant Row" are Western Sizzlin, Shakey's Pizza, and A&W Drive-In.


Interesting, Pelican's Wharf does sound familiar and now vague or perhaps even false memory of a sign with a Pelican is popping up. However I'm certain I never ate there I don't remember the building described here.

Pelican's was on the north side of Lakeshore Drive. It was kind of near Water Works. It burned down, but its sign was there through the early to mid-90s.


Ok so that was what I had a hazy memory of. Back to not even a hazy memory of this seafood place by JT's
Harrison Bergeron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

PartyBear said:

GoldenBear03 said:

PartyBear said:

I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.


According to Gemini, the place you're thinking of is Pelican's Wharf.

Other restaurants of the time it mentions being on "Restaurant Row" are Western Sizzlin, Shakey's Pizza, and A&W Drive-In.


Interesting, Pelican's Wharf does sound familiar and now vague or perhaps even false memory of a sign with a Pelican is popping up. However I'm certain I never ate there I don't remember the building described here.

Pelican's was on the north side of Lakeshore Drive. It was kind of near Water Works. It burned down, but its sign was there through the early to mid-90s.


Ok so that was what I had a hazy memory of. Back to not even a hazy memory of this seafood place by JT's

Life is funny - I would swear on my life there were three restaurants right together - J.T. McCords, Steak&Ale, and mystery #3 ... but no one seems to remember #3 ... Underwood's was down a bit but these 2 (or three) shared basically a big parking lot ... just like Miller's Family Steak House and Lake Brazos Steak House co-existing in the early 90s apparently my mind just made all of this up.
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harrison Bergeron said:

PartyBear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

PartyBear said:

GoldenBear03 said:

PartyBear said:

I have no recollection that f that place at all. I would have been in HS in 83. Even with the description of the place, I have no memory of something like that being there. It's not like I did t go to JTs or Steak n Ale so it seems I would have seen this place. Weird how memory is over time.


According to Gemini, the place you're thinking of is Pelican's Wharf.

Other restaurants of the time it mentions being on "Restaurant Row" are Western Sizzlin, Shakey's Pizza, and A&W Drive-In.


Interesting, Pelican's Wharf does sound familiar and now vague or perhaps even false memory of a sign with a Pelican is popping up. However I'm certain I never ate there I don't remember the building described here.

Pelican's was on the north side of Lakeshore Drive. It was kind of near Water Works. It burned down, but its sign was there through the early to mid-90s.


Ok so that was what I had a hazy memory of. Back to not even a hazy memory of this seafood place by JT's

Life is funny - I would swear on my life there were three restaurants right together - J.T. McCords, Steak&Ale, and mystery #3 ... but no one seems to remember #3 ... Underwood's was down a bit but these 2 (or three) shared basically a big parking lot ... just like Miller's Family Steak House and Lake Brazos Steak House co-existing in the early 90s apparently my mind just made all of this up.


There were. Steak & Ale building is still there as a law office next to Harmony academy in the old Albertsons.


JT McCords was torn down and replaced by the dry cleaner and oil change place. Some of the old JT parking lot is still there behind the dry cleaner.

The third mystery seafood restaurant was either where Ferguson is or where the Underwoods building is. I think it was originally one of the old houses that used to line Valley Mills when it was the old Highway 6 that crossed the old lake where Koehne Park is now.

IIRC the mystery restaurant opened late spring 1983. We went to Europe for a couple of weeks right after May finals, and when we got back around just in time for summer school it was the hottest spot in town. By August, they lost their seafood supplier and the quality went downhill fast. I think it closed by October 1983 or so and was torn down shortly thereafter.
Bearly Interested
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was there a Senor Frogs out there or did I make that up?
blueskymesa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I always have a bit of fun when I eat at Chili's when I'm out traveling and they ask if I had eaten here before. I say no, but I have eaten at the original one in Dallas on Greenville back in the day.

I also like to say, I would like a table for 2 - non smoking please.

FirmBear24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

The JT McCords building prior to being torn down became a Mexican restaurant called Zapata's from 95- about 98, which was pretty good. Then it was a Cajun place called Le Beouff's for a short time in the late 90s.

The Underwood's I also recall being something other than a Picadilly. I never went to it but I remember the sign out front had a fish on it around 2000. I assumed it was a seafood type place. Again that was only open a year or so.


Loved Zapata's.
BaylorHistory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wasn't there a short lived Chinese Buffet on Hwy6 across from Providence Hospital where American Guaranty Title is now?
Karl, it didn't happen.
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorHistory said:

Wasn't there a short lived Chinese Buffet on Hwy6 across from Providence Hospital where American Guaranty Title is now?


Ly-Le. Same family that now has Clay Pot downtown.
Nguyen One Soon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whitetrash said:

BaylorHistory said:

Wasn't there a short lived Chinese Buffet on Hwy6 across from Providence Hospital where American Guaranty Title is now?


Ly-Le. Same family that now has Clay Pot downtown.

Is that the same building La Cabana was in after they moved from 18th and Washington, or was it a little closer to the mall?
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nguyen One Soon said:

whitetrash said:

BaylorHistory said:

Wasn't there a short lived Chinese Buffet on Hwy6 across from Providence Hospital where American Guaranty Title is now?


Ly-Le. Same family that now has Clay Pot downtown.

Is that the same building La Cabana was in after they moved from 18th and Washington, or was it a little closer to the mall?

Next door. La Cabana was in a standalone building, Ly-Le was at one end of a strip center turned perpendicular to Hwy 6.
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorHistory said:

Wasn't there a short lived Chinese Buffet on Hwy6 across from Providence Hospital where American Guaranty Title is now?

I don't remember one being there but I know there was a Mexican Restaurant there. Maybe not the same building as American Title but the one right next door.
FirmBear24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorHistory said:

Wasn't there a short lived Chinese Buffet on Hwy6 across from Providence Hospital where American Guaranty Title is now?


Taste of China.
forza orsi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whitetrash said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

whitetrash said:

BaylorHistory said:

Wasn't there a short lived Chinese Buffet on Hwy6 across from Providence Hospital where American Guaranty Title is now?


Ly-Le. Same family that now has Clay Pot downtown.

Is that the same building La Cabana was in after they moved from 18th and Washington, or was it a little closer to the mall?

Next door. La Cabana was in a standalone building, Ly-Le was at one end of a strip center turned perpendicular to Hwy 6.


Actually La Cabana did have the spot at the opposite end of the strip shopping center from Ly-Le where the physical therapy place is now, on the Bowden Street end. I think they went in there in 1986. At the same time, Holt's moved from Lake Air Mall out to a new building on Highway 6 next to that shopping center. When Holt's closed, La Cabana moved out of the small space in the strip mall, and went across the parking lot to the Holt's building. We were big La Cabana fans back in the day and were regulars both places.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.