Old pic of Lake Air Tower

10,785 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BCL79
AGFEVER
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yogi said:

boxster said:

Yogi said:

I'd love to have a condo as a Waco house. And you just don't have that many options for a high rise condo in the Waco area.
I'd love to know the economics that led to the Lake Air Tower development. Hard to imagine it was a money-maker for the developer, but maybe it was. Just interesting that something done once hasn't been replicated in Waco in the 50 years since.
I've always thought the same thing. Maybe it has something to do with the same reason that the condos were built at the same time and the same color brick as the United Methodist Church across the street.

Maybe they had this whole Methodist community thing going because they couldn't find another place to share alcohol in Waco at the time...
The elder Mr. Janes, of the Leroy Bank & Trust (yes, that bank) was also a real estate speculator and donated the land on that corner to FUMC to build their church.

Uh, WHOOP!!

FEV
forza orsi
wacoraised said:

The Tower was developed by Mr. Sligh, who also did the Lake Air Mall, Deerwood, and many other projects. I don't know how successful, but I believe the tower was profitable.
No clue why no one else duplicated the concept, but pretty sure Mr. Sligh completed them towards the end of his career.
I think Charles Sligh & George Nokes developed all those together. Nokes used to be president of Lake Air National Bank.
ABC BEAR
AGFEVER said:

Yogi said:

boxster said:

Yogi said:

I'd love to have a condo as a Waco house. And you just don't have that many options for a high rise condo in the Waco area.
I'd love to know the economics that led to the Lake Air Tower development. Hard to imagine it was a money-maker for the developer, but maybe it was. Just interesting that something done once hasn't been replicated in Waco in the 50 years since.
I've always thought the same thing. Maybe it has something to do with the same reason that the condos were built at the same time and the same color brick as the United Methodist Church across the street.

Maybe they had this whole Methodist community thing going because they couldn't find another place to share alcohol in Waco at the time...
The elder Mr. Janes, of the Leroy Bank & Trust (yes, that bank) was also a real estate speculator and donated the land on that corner to FUMC to build their church.

Uh, WHOOP!!

FEV
Go Ags - Beat Auburn
saabing bear

I think you can purchase mineral rights there but the carpet replacement fee is outrageous.

I remember seeing that building when my family moved to Waco in '59.
BCL79
boxster said:

Yogi said:

That high rise is just another example of Waco. A city that has had more highs and lows than almost any town in Texas (maybe excepting Galveston). Cotton, military, Sky scraper, bridge, Solar energy, Chip & Jo, Word, Central Freight, etc ..... and well, the lows, I'll not mention any of those ...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.