Old pic of Lake Air Tower

10,709 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BCL79
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Lake Air Tower, 4924 Cobbs Drive, Waco, Texas. This photo is from the 1967 Richfield High School Yearbook.

[url=https://ibb.co/hdN4mpV][/url]
cowboycwr
Looks pretty much the same today....
PTGHUNTER
Anybody know much about this building?

I see units come up for sale fairly frequently but they also seem to sell fairly frequently.
MrGolfguy
Reminds me of where Jody and Buffy lived with Mr French on Family Affair.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
4th and Inches
PTGHUNTER said:

Anybody know much about this building?

I see units come up for sale fairly frequently but they also seem to sell fairly frequently.
i think it is an over 55 age restricted comminity
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
PTGHUNTER
I had not seen that before. If true then I have a few years before I can worry about what goes for sale.

It intrigued me because it is one option in town that I could lock and leave if I am not there all the time.
BaylorGuy314
I'm not sure it's age-restricted anymore. I swore - and I could be remembering incorrectly - that an acquaintance who was in his late 30s purchased in there.
IASIP Rocks
Looks nicer inside than I thought it would...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4924-Cobbs-Dr-APT-9C-Waco-TX-76710/52093629_zpid/
Moondoggie
You can't pull up under the awning and take your grocers into the lobby. You have to park and then carry your things in. I'd never go for that.
But, what an awesome pic. I grew up less than a mile away and went to lake air junior high across the street.
Yogi
pitchman said:

You can't pull up under the awning and take your grocers into the lobby. You have to park and then carry your things in. I'd never go for that.
But, what an awesome pic. I grew up less than a mile away and went to lake air junior high across the street.
What years?

My grandmother's house was near the intersection of Bishop and Meadow near Mountainview Elementary.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BaylorHistory
IASIP Rocks said:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4924-Cobbs-Dr-APT-9C-Waco-TX-76710/52093629_zpid/
Pretty good view too.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
BU99
BaylorHistory said:

IASIP Rocks said:

Pretty good view too.

Whoever recently remodeled that listing needs to find a new line of work. Talk about ugly and dated.
PTGHUNTER
You don't want a different flooring in every room?

Ludwig von Missi
Yogi said:

pitchman said:

What years?

My grandmother's house was near the intersection of Bishop and Meadow near Mountainview Elementary.
That's right near my hood.
JDGorham
We bought & moved in 3 months ago & love it. No age restrictions though average age is older. Many active 60+, including us. There are several young professionals here as well as some 80+. We chose for convenient location & the "lock & leave capability. . Many owners use as 2hd place & come for BU related events. Happy to answer questions or show you our place if you want. I don't know how to post pics or I would do that.
cowboycwr
Wow those are bigger than I thought they would be.

They are also way more expensive than I thought they would be.

I have never understood the draw of condos. You own a fraction of the building for an outrageous price. You still have neighbors above, below, to the side and in my opinion little to no privacy.

For $184K you can get a really nice house in the area.
JDGorham
Condo living is not for everyone but is the lifestyle we want now. Once we're inside our unit, it doesn't feel or look like a condo. It's nice & quiet. We downsized to 1900 sq feet, no maintenance, security of home when we are traveling,, great pool that we just enjoy without any work on our part. . There is an HOA fee, we did a s spreadsheet to compare costs for expenses in our home that are now covered by the HOA fee. Costs a bit more per month but worth it to us.
ABC BEAR
cowboycwr said:

Wow those are bigger than I thought they would be.

They are also way more expensive than I thought they would be.

I have never understood the draw of condos. You own a fraction of the building for an outrageous price. You still have neighbors above, below, to the side and in my opinion little to no privacy.

For $184K you can get a really nice house in the area.
Unless I'm mistaken, you only own the air space between the walls, ceiling and floor. I still believe in terra firma and mineral rights.
PTGHUNTER
I sent you a PM.
Lund Vernquist
I've had a couple friends in the 40-60 age set who live(d) there. Lots of appealing elements to it but personally I get a little claustrophobic with the low ceilings.
FirmBear24
My grandmother has lived here since it opened. She turned 101 on Saturday. Fond memories of playing in the pool in the summers. Had birthday parties there too.
Yogi
I'd love to have a condo as a Waco house. And you just don't have that many options for a high rise condo in the Waco area.
Yogi
Wasn't there once a Griddle location across Cobbs? There used to be some restaraunt there across from First United Methodist and the Fire Station...
boxster
Yogi said:

I'd love to have a condo as a Waco house. And you just don't have that many options for a high rise condo in the Waco area.
I'd love to know the economics that led to the Lake Air Tower development. Hard to imagine it was a money-maker for the developer, but maybe it was. Just interesting that something done once hasn't been replicated in Waco in the 50 years since.

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
Yogi
boxster said:

Yogi said:

I'd love to know the economics that led to the Lake Air Tower development. Hard to imagine it was a money-maker for the developer, but maybe it was. Just interesting that something done once hasn't been replicated in Waco in the 50 years since.
I've always thought the same thing. Maybe it has something to do with the same reason that the condos were built at the same time and the same color brick as the United Methodist Church across the street.

Maybe they had this whole Methodist community thing going because they couldn't find another place to share alcohol in Waco at the time...
PartyBear
Something like this being built now downtown would probably do well.
whitetrash
Yogi said:

Wasn't there once a Griddle location across Cobbs? There used to be some restaraunt there across from First United Methodist and the Fire Station...
Dairy Queen and a gas station on the corner of Lake Air & Cobbs where the FUMC parking lot is now.
Yogi
whitetrash said:

Yogi said:

Dairy Queen and a gas station on the corner of Lake Air & Cobbs where the FUMC parking lot is now.
That's right. It might have been a Gulf station; right?

Grandma used to take me to that Dairy Queen for dipped cones... Thanks, Grandma!
SoonerFrogs
used to attend church at 4201 Cobbs Dr. Drove by that place at least once a week. Looks exactly the same.
TenBears
I remember as a kid thinking how chic and out of reach it was and how cool it was when I got an invite to the pool or someone's unit. Do the top floors have legit lake views?
JDGorham
There are legit & wonderful lake views if your unit is on that side of the building. The large steeple from 1st Methodist is also part of that view. Great views from upper floors, even if it's not the lake.
Moondoggie
Yogi said:

pitchman said:

What years?

That's awesome! I grew up right next to Mountainview Elementary. Years I was at lake air was 82-84 I think.
william
MrGolfguy said:

Reminds me of where Jody and Buffy lived with Mr French on Family Affair.
... and they all gradually "offed" themselves over the next decade.

- KKM

"this fame thing, I don't get it".

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
PartyBear
Johnny Whitacker is still alive. He oddly looks like somewhat like Brian Keith now.
wacoraised
The Tower was developed by Mr. Sligh, who also did the Lake Air Mall, Deerwood, and many other projects. I don't know how successful, but I believe the tower was profitable.
No clue why no one else duplicated the concept, but pretty sure Mr. Sligh completed them towards the end of his career.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.