Tell me about Mac House Waco

4,693 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 4th and Inches
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How is it? Anyone a fan of fancy mac n cheese and grilled cheese?

https://www.machousewaco.com/
Bear Doc
Haven't been there since it was the Gut Pak Shak... every time I drive by it seems fairly busy though if that is any indication.
Coyote Bear
It's really good. And the owners seem like awesome folks. Go there and spend some money.
hodedofome
Cool atmosphere, good owners. I guess I'm just not a gourmet Mac and cheese guy, I'm totally fine with normal store bought mac and cheese like my momma used to make. But my 8 year old loved it.
whitetrash
Went last saturday after watching the KSt game via drive thru. There were 6-8 people waiting to order on the walkup side and it looked like the covered dining area was full. Got it for 3 of us, so we tried the Big Jim (bacon & gouda), Notorious P.I.G. (sausage, pear and gouda) and the special of the month, which had chicken. All three were very good, and enough left over for all 3 of us to have as a side dish a couple of days later. Total tab was a little over $20. Tasted authentic enough to be much better than your run of the mill kraft mac & cheese in a box.

That being said, most of the dine-in crowd appeared under the age of 30, so they grew up on microwave tubs of velveeta mac & cheese they could fix for themselves starting at about age 8.
Moondoggie
Millennials manning the outfit are super nice. I found the Mac and cheese to be too al dente for my tastes, plus it was so rich I could have hurled. Excellent!!!
SIC EM 94
Great food...get "The Perfect Couple" which consist of your choice of a couple different grilled cheese sandwiches and choice of a type of macaroni and cheese. Place doesn't have the selection of say Dallas Grilled Cheese Co. but it was good in my opinion.
OsoCoreyell
That dad gum sugar mama cookie is good.
Snuf
Cool atmosphere, good owners. I guess I'm just not a gourmet Mac and cheese guy, I'm totally fine with normal store bought mac and cheese like my momma used to make. But my 8 year old loved it.

Your mother made it via a homemade recipe, not from a box!
Yogi
I think you have to work your way through the menu.

I've had some things that are "meh", but I have also had some really good mac there.
BaylorBen2010
Its delicious!! Very friendly employees. Don't Skip the Lemonade, its worth it.
Boernebear
I made it to the Mac House for the first time today. The mac was excellent and the customer service and friendliness of the staff was top notch. I highly recommend the Uncle Rico Mac & cheese; check this place out if you haven't yet!
Boernebear
I went back again. Can confirm it's awesome. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

My wish list only includes late night hours and alcohol on the menu. But their food and service are super legit.
hodedofome
Snuf said:

Your mother made it via a homemade recipe, not from a box!

Well I still liked the Kraft sticks in a box she'd make us at the beachhouse the most.

In any case, aren't you too old to remember anything?
Edmond Bear

Finally made it over to The Mac House while visiting Waco this weekend. Had the Nortorious P.I.G. which included smoked sausage n other stuff. Grilled Cheese may be one of the best I've ever had. The combo was really good and I would definitely go again.

The smoked sausage made me think they should piggy back on the Gut Pak and make a mac-n-cheese version of it. Could be awesome.

trey3216
Edmond Bear said:

Finally made it over to The Mac House while visiting Waco this weekend. Had the Nortorious P.I.G. which included smoked sausage n other stuff. Grilled Cheese may be one of the best I've ever had. The combo was really good and I would definitely go again.

The smoked sausage made me think they should piggy back on the Gut Pak and make a mac-n-cheese version of it. Could be awesome.

I did that when I had Jasper's. Smoked Gouda and Smoked Cheddar Mac & Chz with chopped brisket and sausage. Pretty dang tasty stuff.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Boernebear
Edmond Bear said:

I like how you're thinking!
Pronto Tonto
The "Uncle Rico" is out of this world.... brisket, mac and cheese, and chopped jalapenos.

They have gluten-free mac and cheese available also - if you or someone in your family has that intolerance (my wife does). When you order gluten-free, let them know if it's an intolerance or an allergy because they will make your mac and cheese dish differently based on how you answer.

As someone said, the lemonades are great, too.

We eat there about once a month. Love it.
Yogi
Ditto on the Uncle Rico.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Gold Tron
HuecoBear said:

The "Uncle Rico" is out of this world.... brisket, mac and cheese, and chopped jalapenos.

They have gluten-free mac and cheese available also - if you or someone in your family has that intolerance (my wife does). When you order gluten-free, let them know if it's an intolerance or an allergy because they will make your mac and cheese dish differently based on how you answer.

As someone said, the lemonades are great, too.

We eat there about once a month. Love it.
I'm telling you as a physician that there is no such thing as a gluten "allergy". Intolerance is the correct word. An allergy is a specific reaction involving mast cells and eosinophils. If you haven't been diagnosed with celiac sprue, then you need to be tested or some component of your improved digestive health just might be placebo.

Rant over, I'm looking forward to trying it.

KajunKarlsdad
I need to try this place next trip to Waco. Lil Billy recommended highly
Boernebear
All in on Uncle Rico!

4th and Inches
I keep forgetting about this place... need to hit it up
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.