Waco
Sponsored By

2nd St/Clay Ave

2,149 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by trey3216
FranchiseBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was in town Wed/Th this week. St James United Methodist Church across from Residence Inn and Hotel Indigo looks vacant and marquee says 'Future Restaurant & Venue'.

Anyone locals have an idea what is going on there?
BaylorGuy314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.2ndandclay.com/
FranchiseBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks! Very interesting - and a very ambitious project for Waco.
boxster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know it's the free market at work, but it saddens me to see old, classic, community fabric strengthening church properties converted to yet another restaurant/bar...or pretty much any other secular use for that matter.

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

That website is interesting. It makes it seem like the chef is randomly coming to Waco. But, a Baylor prof is actually the developer and is the person bringing the chef. My daughter had his class and they held class there a couple of times.
FranchiseBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The positive seems to be that an old building is being repurposed vs being torn down as is many times the case. I am curious as to the economics on making this happen. It is a fairly large structure - cost to upgrade mech/elect/plumbing systems, add commercial kitchen, etc. is going to be significant. All that before you make any cosmetic changes which are likely to be a tall order as well.

forza orsi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The guy behind it is one of our own. It sounds very intriguing!
https://sicem365.com/forums/27/topics/48037/replies/1231094
IASIP Rocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very excited about this project. The building was just listed in the National Register of Historic Places:

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/local/former-st-james-church-building-downtown-gets-national-register-designation/article_e2cdfe05-ac50-5dd7-8d69-b7d72585a0b8.html
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Once upon a time in my youth in the 40s, 50s, 60, 70s St James UMC was the leading Black church in Waco.
The church sent 20-30-40 young men and women.
Unfortunately because of segregation as a youth leader myself in the early 60s I did not know any of these outstanding young people.
Then in 1964 I attended a youth leadership training at Mt Sequoyah in Fayetteville, Arkansas. It was our desegregated event in the south. I was stunned that these were Wacoans and as active in the UMC as me.
I also began to understand my own racism better. MLK and Dad had begun my journey but this encounter at a personal level changed me completely.
Waco1947
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco1947 said:

Once upon a time in my youth in the 40s, 50s, 60, 70s St James UMC was the leading Black church in Waco.
The church sent 20-30-40 young men and women.
Unfortunately because of segregation as a youth leader myself in the early 60s I did not know any of these outstanding young people.
Then in 1964 I attended a youth leadership training at Mt Sequoyah in Fayetteville, Arkansas. It was our desegregated event in the south. I was stunned that these were Wacoans and as active in the UMC as me.
I also began to understand my own racism better. MLK and Dad had begun my journey but this encounter at a personal level changed me completely.

I appreciate your honesty.

I don't appreciate that you assume your racism applies to anyone but yourself. The vast majority of us that are younger than you never started looking at individuals through racist eyes.


Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Once upon a time in my youth in the 40s, 50s, 60, 70s St James UMC was the leading Black church in Waco.
The church sent 20-30-40 young men and women.
Unfortunately because of segregation as a youth leader myself in the early 60s I did not know any of these outstanding young people.
Then in 1964 I attended a youth leadership training at Mt Sequoyah in Fayetteville, Arkansas. It was our desegregated event in the south. I was stunned that these were Wacoans and as active in the UMC as me.
I also began to understand my own racism better. MLK and Dad had begun my journey but this encounter at a personal level changed me completely.

I appreciate your honesty.

I don't appreciate that you assume your racism applies to anyone but yourself. The vast majority of us that are younger than you never started looking at individuals through racist eyes.



If you were raised in the south like then you were raised with racism. Denial of and blindness to racism keep you locked up in it. Believe me people look through racist eyes. It's better but black parents still caution and pray for their black sons who drive at night. How many black pastors white Baptist or non denominational churches?
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Once upon a time in my youth in the 40s, 50s, 60, 70s St James UMC was the leading Black church in Waco.
The church sent 20-30-40 young men and women.
Unfortunately because of segregation as a youth leader myself in the early 60s I did not know any of these outstanding young people.
Then in 1964 I attended a youth leadership training at Mt Sequoyah in Fayetteville, Arkansas. It was our desegregated event in the south. I was stunned that these were Wacoans and as active in the UMC as me.
I also began to understand my own racism better. MLK and Dad had begun my journey but this encounter at a personal level changed me completely.

I appreciate your honesty.

I don't appreciate that you assume your racism applies to anyone but yourself. The vast majority of us that are younger than you never started looking at individuals through racist eyes.



If you were raised in the south like then you were raised with racism. Denial of and blindness to racism keep you locked up in it. Believe me people look through racist eyes. It's better but black parents still caution and pray for their black sons who drive at night. How many black pastors white Baptist or non denominational churches?


Clearly they have to pray for their kids because of people like you. I didn't grow up like you. Not sure why you project your feelings on everyone else.
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Waco1947 said:

Once upon a time in my youth in the 40s, 50s, 60, 70s St James UMC was the leading Black church in Waco.
The church sent 20-30-40 young men and women.
Unfortunately because of segregation as a youth leader myself in the early 60s I did not know any of these outstanding young people.
Then in 1964 I attended a youth leadership training at Mt Sequoyah in Fayetteville, Arkansas. It was our desegregated event in the south. I was stunned that these were Wacoans and as active in the UMC as me.
I also began to understand my own racism better. MLK and Dad had begun my journey but this encounter at a personal level changed me completely.

I appreciate your honesty.

I don't appreciate that you assume your racism applies to anyone but yourself. The vast majority of us that are younger than you never started looking at individuals through racist eyes.



If you were raised in the south like then you were raised with racism. Denial of and blindness to racism keep you locked up in it. Believe me people look through racist eyes. It's better but black parents still caution and pray for their black sons who drive at night. How many black pastors white Baptist or non denominational churches?


Clearly they have to pray for their kids because of people like you. I didn't grow up like you. Not sure why you project your feelings on everyone else.

Yeah you were raised just like me. You are blind to it. Racism is alive and well in our culture - the targets now include Muslims, Hispanics, LGBTQ persons. I am not projecting. I am listening and observing. Racism is so much than avoiding the n-word or w-word or the f-word. I see and it daily. Why? Because I listen to black folk and studied black history and racism. I lived among them. I hear unguarded comments in Sunday School, grocery stores, parties, etc.
I think s good example. If you think "Birtherism" was OK then you are probably blind to your racism.
If two candidates were asking for a job and they were named Shamika or Emma who would favor?
But defense of Birtherism is probably the best indicator of racism.
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

You don't know anything about me. I never advocated birtherism. I live in a town that is predominantly black. My boss is black. I don't care.

I talk to more people of Asian decent daily than whites.

Not projecting? What kind of idiot are you?
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Edmond Bear said:


You don't know anything about me. I never advocated birtherism. I live in a town that is predominantly black. My boss is black. I don't care.

I talk to more people of Asian decent daily than whites.

Not projecting? What kind of idiot are you?

Yeah you are racist - black boss or not.
You never advocated Birtherism? But you support the racist idiot who did.
So you live in a predominantly black town. Do you know any of them well enough to ask about their daily experience of racism?
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I didn't vote for Trump and never supported birtherism.

Of course I know people. What the hell is wrong with you that you make such egregious suppositions? Stop projecting your racist crap on other people.

Of course racism exists but it's not behind every bush and around every corner.

forza orsi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to be back on topic here - hoping we're not hopelessly off the rails now... It looks like it's going be upscale Italian with a quality chef and decent backing. Something we desperately need here. I'm really excited to see it coming and can't wait for it to open.
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco needs another Italian restaurant.

And, I am certain that our resident self-righteous serf will call me a "racist" now.

Edmond, you are no racist.

That man is just a generally unhappy ******* who hates everyone.

You can forgive him, you can pray him, but you need pay no attention to him.

You are among friends.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yogi said:

Waco needs another Italian restaurant.

And, I am certain that our resident self-righteous serf will call me a "racist" now.

Edmond, you are no racist.

That man is just a generally unhappy ******* who hates everyone.

You can forgive him, you can pray him, but you need pay no attention to him.

You are among friends.
"To love is to be conscious, and to be fully conscious would mean we are capable of loving. Sin always proceeds from lack of consciousness. Most people are just not aware and not fully living in their own present moment. When Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, they don't know what they're doing" (Luke 23:34), he was absolutely right." Richard Rohr
Yes, yogi, you and Edmond are racists. You know not what you do. It is sad.
Please "fully conscious" to your racism.
Waco1947
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was baptized at Clay Ave Methodist. Building is still there.
Waco1947
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco1947 said:

I was baptized at Clay Ave Methodist. Building is still there.
Good thing you were baptized prior to a proclamation of faith, because I'm not sure I believe yours.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.