Famous Train Crash Just Outside of Waco

2,359 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 3rd String Kicker
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well sort of... I had never heard of it until today.

But apparently a famous train crash that was deliberate took place near Waco 123 years ago yesterday (Sept 15th) that was the first of it's kind, drew the largest crowd (at the time) in state history, became the deadliest publicity stunt in the nation's history, and made the town have the highest population in TX (for that day).

The stunt was to crash two locomotives with 6 boxcars each into each other at a "town" created just for the event, just outside of West but the boilers blew up after impact and sent debris into the crowd killing two.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/New-book-tells-the-story-of-the-catastrophic-Crash-at-Crush-560271711.html
Brian Ethridge
Staff
There's even a country song about it.

Go to Village Bakery and they have original pictures of it in West.
Mr Tulip
A feat of genius that wouldn't be rivaled for sheer brain-dead audacity until Oregon 1970

ABC BEAR
They wouldn't have had to stage events like this for excitement if Cornhole Tournaments had been around then.
jbbear
cowboycwr said:

Well sort of... I had never heard of it until today.

But apparently a famous train crash that was deliberate took place near Waco 123 years ago yesterday (Sept 15th) that was the first of it's kind, drew the largest crowd (at the time) in state history, became the deadliest publicity stunt in the nation's history, and made the town have the highest population in TX (for that day).

The stunt was to crash two locomotives with 6 boxcars each into each other at a "town" created just for the event, just outside of West but the boilers blew up after impact and sent debris into the crowd killing two.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/New-book-tells-the-story-of-the-catastrophic-Crash-at-Crush-560271711.html
Aggies being Aggies.....
emiddleb2
Village Bakery has been closed for at least six months. The owner (Mimi) suddenly passed away and now the business is in the hands of lawyers as she didn't have a will.

For those that don't know, Village Bakery is the oldest Czech bakery in Texas, and always had the best kolaches.

Slightly good news: My family found out at Westfest that the former Village Bakery chef now works at Slovacek's. This would explain how their kolaches have improved immensely in recent months.

As a West resident most of my life (my family has been here since the 1880s), I would say this is the current Kolache Power Rankings in West when you are visiting:

• Cefco (It's true. It is the best kept secret and never busy. Located on northbound side of 35)
  • Slovacek's
  • Gerik's
  • Czech Stop
WILLIS
Came here for the train, but walked away with the best kolache info I've seen in awhile. Thanks
Brian Ethridge
Staff
emiddleb2 said:

Village Bakery has been closed for at least six months. The owner (Mimi) suddenly passed away and now the business is in the hands of lawyers as she didn't have a will.

For those that don't know, Village Bakery is the oldest Czech bakery in Texas, and always had the best kolaches.

Slightly good news: My family found out at Westfest that the former Village Bakery chef now works at Slovacek's. This would explain how their kolaches have improved immensely in recent months.

As a West resident most of my life (my family has been here since the 1880s), I would say this is the current Kolache Power Rankings in West when you are visiting:

• Cefco (It's true. It is the best kept secret and never busy. Located on northbound side of 35)
  • Slovacek's
  • Gerik's
  • Czech Stop

I thought her granddaughter was going to take it over?

Still the best when it reopens.

I won't stop at Czech Stop if the others are open.
Yogi
Village Bakery was the best.

The Pecan Rolls were the closest I ever had to grandma's.

Next favorite is Gerik's.

For you blood-Moravians, Gerik's is probably the most authentic in West right now.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
3rd String Kicker
Live podcast on this event Wed night at 7 pm @ Pinewood Pub

https://wacohistorypodcast.com/the-crash-at-crush-live-podcast-recording/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.