Waco Tourism drops a skosh

3,343 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Edmond Bear
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last year, Waco hit 2.6m visitors which is 4.6 times higher than 2013 when Fixer Upper debuted. This year, Waco is on track to finish around 2.48m.

However, 2019 has brought drops in 8 of the 11 reported months when compared to the same month last year (i.e. Mar 2019 v Mar 2018). The year started strong with Jan/Feb and April all showing increases. But, the last 7 months have consistently been 20-30k lower than the same month last year.

What is the difference?
1) I-35 construction started in April
2) what else?

https://wacoheartoftexas.com/tourism-research-and-statistics/
whitetrash
#1: I-35 construction
#2: see #1
Boernebear
It's going to be up next year - Magnolia expansion will open, the Magnolia network will debut and the Baylor Bears will be the hottest thing around with men and women's basketball going to the Final Four and football going to the CFP.
BylrFan
figured it would be higher with the success of baylor sports as well.

ex: women's bb, men's bb, and football this year
BUbearinARK
BylrFan said:

figured it would be higher with the success of baylor sports as well.

ex: women's bb, men's bb, and football this year
+vb
ImwithBU
Well there isnt much to see in Waco so there is that. Fixer upper place is vastly overrated and the Elite food was average at best. Ive been here a few months and have already hit 90% of the things to do in Waco. Once it warms up I will hit the ZOO and eventually the Dr. Pepper Museum
BellCountyBear
The whole Magnolia craze is going to die down. Probably another 3-4 years left on its lifecycle.
bularry
ImwithBU said:

Fixer upper place is vastly overrated
"overrated" as compared to what, exactly? and you mean the store when you say "fixer upper place"?
southtexasbear
The show has been on reruns for what1-2 years? (I don't recall when it wrapped up). So people aren't as enamored. But like mentioned above when the network launches, it'll surpass previous peak numbers.
OsoCoreyell
Scosche
ImwithBU
bularry said:

ImwithBU said:

"overrated" as compared to what, exactly? and you mean the store when you say "fixer upper place"?
The store is what I am referencing. It has a lot of buzz around it, kudos to them. Several of my nurses (Clemson Grads) traveled to Waco when A&M played Clemson a few years ago. They enjoyed the trip, but said Joanna is proud of her stuff (basically saying the things their were overrated). I went as soon as I moved back to this area and was not impressed at all, but to each their own. They single handed have expanded Waco tourism, but reality is there is not much to keep people coming back once they visit that place. Waco needs to do stuff to want people to return.
Edmond Bear

Waco, weirdly, has become a girls weekend destination for 35-65+ with money. We have friends from OKC that have been several times. It's not just Magnolia, it's the other stores around it. Without Magnolia, that all goes away.

But, Chip and Jo have become pretty dang good at building hype and following up with money making commerce.

I'm sure the new channel will follow up with retail for different shows, maybe supported by the Magnolia distribution center and IT systems, to make Waco a bigger destination.

bularry
ImwithBU said:

bularry said:

ImwithBU said:

The store is what I am referencing. It has a lot of buzz around it, kudos to them. Several of my nurses (Clemson Grads) traveled to Waco when A&M played Clemson a few years ago. They enjoyed the trip, but said Joanna is proud of her stuff (basically saying the things their were overrated). I went as soon as I moved back to this area and was not impressed at all, but to each their own. They single handed have expanded Waco tourism, but reality is there is not much to keep people coming back once they visit that place. Waco needs to do stuff to want people to return.

What did you expect? I find this fascinating. Like going to the mall and saying it is overrated.

I don't know what retail home decor stores are "rated" or how one makes that assessment.
hodedofome
The silos get people to Waco, but all the other shops here keep people around for the weekend. Waco is becoming a home goods destination and that's going to continue to build momentum, especially when the new network is in place. People are gonna come here from all over the country to buy stuff and go shopping.
OsoCoreyell
hodedofome said:

The silos get people to Waco, but all the other shops here keep people around for the weekend. Waco is becoming a home goods destination and that's going to continue to build momentum, especially when the new network is in place. People are gonna come here from all over the country to buy stuff and go shopping.
Waco isn't experiencing a Magnolia boost; it's experiencing a Magnolia-led boost. There's a lot more going on.
Edmond Bear

One of the nice things about Magnolia is that there is a specific target market. So, if you are a company that has the same market, you know where to go. And, it all feeds on itself.

Marketing is specific. Word of mouth is specific.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.