Waco Christmas 1966, the painting

2,802 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PartyBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Waco Christmas 1966, the painting is called
Makin' The Drag. The teenage thing to do was drive up and down
Austin Ave and circle the courthouse to see who you could see.
The original painting was 24X36.

[url=https://ibb.co/rx3gCKt][/url]
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
CTbruin
And I was there. A junior at Midway High School. Oh the memories. The "drag" was the place to be.......
boxster
And then someone turned it into a walking mall...smh.
Wichitabear
Yep. My home town had a Main Street where my brother dragged then they turned it into a walking Main Street. We had the Christmas decorations hung up like that going from one side of the street to the other. Great memories.
BUbearinARK
The vehicles are beautiful.
BaylorHistory
boxster said:

And then someone turned it into a walking mall...smh.
I've lived here all my life and didn't know this until last year.
Liteitup
One way, two way, pedestrian only...the answer is always to make it something it isn't.
Yogi
By the time I was born, they ruined downtown with the Austin Ave mall. There was nothing down there in my memories. I do remember the last Christmas at the old Sears in 1979. But most of my early memories of downtown Waco were like a ghost town. Amazing to see where it is today by comparison.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
hodedofome
Does somebody sell a print of this?
JDGorham
Artist is Charles Wallis, Waco native, Baylor grad and now lives in College Station. We have a fabulous bear painting of his. He sells prints as well as original artwork. He has a face book page Charles Wallis Art Space. If you have trouble reaching him, let me know and I'll try to help you connect with him. Darlene
JDGorham
See answer below, forgot to reply. Sorry.
BUgolfbear
Love the print. My wife is from the original Cruise town of Modesto CA, home of George Lucas and setting for American Grafitti. Every summer the town hosts Grafitti Weekend- tons of classic cars and music.
PartyBear
BUgolfbear said:

Love the print. My wife is from the original Cruise town of Modesto CA, home of George Lucas and setting for American Grafitti. Every summer the town hosts Grafitti Weekend- tons of classic cars and music.

Great movie.
CutTheTVoff
That's cool. I wonder if prints are available
KEBasketball
Anyone remember the days of cruising Forest Lane in Dallas? A friend of mine who was a year ahead of me in high school had a feature article written about him in Texas Monthly as one of the notable personas of the Forest Lane cruising scene...wonder if I can find a link to that article all these years later?

Great painting! Would find a place for a larger reproduction in our Waco space if it were available...

- KEB
PartyBear
I assume that is an accurate depiction of that spot in 66? There are parking lots located where the closest buildings in the fore front today. I knew there had been buildings there looking at old photos. I just assume the tornado took those out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.