City gives Hawaiian Falls $500,000 break on its rent to build new 12-slide attraction

2,267 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by trey3216
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/local/city-gives-hawaiian-falls-break-on-its-rent-to-build/article_93d79c8d-014c-5de6-93dd-534ed5b41b92.html#tncms-source=infinity-scroll-summary-siderail-latest

The Waco City Council approved the lease abatement agreement Tuesday for Store Master Funding, the firm that holds the park's lease, waiving $500,000 in rent spread over seven years to offset the cost of a new structure with 12 water slides.

The city owns the water park property and structures and operated the park itself, as the Waco Water Park, until 2011. It has operated as a Hawaiian Falls park since then, and ProParks Management took over operations in Waco, along with four other Hawaiian Falls locations in Texas, in 2018.

The new play structure is slated for completion before the upcoming operating season. During Tuesday's council meeting, City Manager Wiley Stem III said the structure would belong to the city after its construction.

"I think it's a wise use of our funds to make sure that we are thinking strategically about the breadth of our tourism industry, and making sure that Hawaiian Falls is a premier water park for the entire region is important," Councilman Dillon Meek said.

UBBY
I woked there as a lifeguard back when it was called the Waco Waterpark from 2007-2011 when I was in college.
baylor1999
City is spending like a million on some statues along the Brazos. Waste of money, I think
Yogi
If you are familiar with Hawaiian Falls parks, you know that this structure are the signature attraction in their parks.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
3rd String Kicker
I can't remember exactly how much, but I read somewhere that at least half to 3/4 of the funds were made up of private donations, led by Clifton & Betsy Robinson.
PTGHUNTER

I saw those last weekend driving into Cameron Park. I don't know how much they cost but I thought they were cool looking and a nice touch, along the walking trail and river.

Old300Bear
I may be totally off base on this but I thought Clifton Robinson donated a significant part of the funding of those. I remember reading that he finished the longhorns and cowboys and had seen a similar display at another zoo.
Fred Barber
trey3216
Old300Bear said:

I may be totally off base on this but I thought Clifton Robinson donated a significant part of the funding of those. I remember reading that he finished the longhorns and cowboys and had seen a similar display at another zoo.
There are going to be more statues up and down UParks leading into Cameron Park.

Clifton did donate much of the money for the ones right by the Suspension Bridge.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.