Taco C

3,625 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by william
StacyLynn624
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/01-13-20-taco-cabana-closes-19-texas-stores/?fbclid=IwAR2VUDhlRjSSoaTjMNQoivei7GcV9e-8n9Ow7i6NBCSJcqaJr78V-LdXMAQ

Saw this about our local Taco C closing, and it says at the bottom there were also closures in Waco. Is the one on 6th street the only one in Waco? Did it close?
Yogi
StacyLynn624 said:

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/01-13-20-taco-cabana-closes-19-texas-stores/?fbclid=IwAR2VUDhlRjSSoaTjMNQoivei7GcV9e-8n9Ow7i6NBCSJcqaJr78V-LdXMAQ

Saw this about our local Taco C closing, and it says at the bottom there were also closures in Waco. Is the one on 6th street the only one in Waco? Did it close?
That would suck.

I love Taco C.

We had two in Waco when I went to Baylor.

There was one in the parking lot of the Lake Air Mall (was a Hartz Chicken prior).

Used to love playing sand volleyball out in the area and then running to Taco C for some grub.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
StacyLynn624
According to the Taco Cabana website, there are no locations in Waco. They also closed one in College Station, but the one one Bryan remains. That's sad. We spent a lot of time in the late-night drive through at Taco Cabana.
Boernebear
The service was amongst the worst in Waco (that's really saying something) but I still loved it. It will be missed!

Now long live Fuego!
BaylorGuy314
I have so many memories of the Taco C in Waco. Back in the early 00s, when I was a student, Taco C and Whataburger were the only two spots for late night munchies after drinking. I attribute my 20lbs gained during college to their queso and tortillas.

The service in Waco has been horrible for a while but a big part of that is staffing. It has been very understaffed - I suppose because they've been underperforming financially- and it definitely created a frustrating experience.

It was very common to have only 2 people working - 1 person working the kitchen and order prep and the others taking orders at both the counter and drive-thru and also working order prep. That's fine until you have a line at both the counter and drive thru and the one kitchen staff is just trying to keep up with food. Everything else - the dining area, salsa bar, drink area, etc, all became unkept quickly because of it.

I stopped at the one in College Station one night at about 9pm about a month ago. There was one person working. One. I know because I asked and he was the only one in the entire building. Working drive thru, inside counter, kitchen, and prep. There were 5-6 people waiting inside and several cars in drivethru. I asked him if that was normal and he said it wasn't that uncommon. I gave the kid a tip and kudos. He was working his butt off.

Yogi
The Temple location on Interstate 35 next to BJ's remains open.

BellCountyBear
I got breakfast tacos at the one in Waco (on 6th) last week.
transmit5by9
I can't speak for other cities, but virtually every restaurant in Waco has a help wanted sign posted.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
Dia del DougO
Yogi said:

The Temple location on Interstate 35 next to BJ's remains open.

I used to go there pretty regularly. Haven't been in a couple of years.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Big12Bear
Taco C service isn't just bad in Waco, but the few Dallas locations I've tried in the last few years have all been excruciatingly bad. The food is not good, salsa is at its watery worst. It's a late night memory from college or Lower Greenville - nothing more. I'm almost embarrassed its from Texas, trying to represent tex-mex, even if its "fast" food, that's not fast.
Big12Bear
Big12Bear said:

Taco C service isn't just bad in Waco, but the few Dallas locations I've tried in the last few years have all been excruciatingly bad. The food is not good, salsa is at its watery worst. It's a late night memory from college or Lower Greenville - nothing more. I'm almost embarrassed its from Texas, trying to represent tex-mex, even if its "fast" food, that's not fast.
Check that - even the famous Lower Greenville location is closing down.
Boernebear
Places like Torchy's, Fuego, Velvet Taco, etc are really running circles around Taco C. Taco C used to be the go to late night food option along with Whataburger, but the competition is updated with good service and Taco C has made mediocre attempts to adjust.

I doubt the chain is around in 5 years, which makes me sad. Fond memories...
WILLIS
Boernebear said:

Places like Torchy's, Fuego, Velvet Taco, etc are really running circles around Taco C. Taco C used to be the go to late night food option along with Whataburger, but the competition is updated with good service and Taco C has made mediocre attempts to adjust.

I doubt the chain is around in 5 years, which makes me sad. Fond memories...

Also the fact that anglos now (way more than in the past anyways) go and eat real authentic tacos that taste a bazillion times better alongside their tejano brethren at authentic taco stands.
BealBear
RIP Queso the cat....
PartyBear
Yogi said:

StacyLynn624 said:

That would suck.

I love Taco C.

We had two in Waco when I went to Baylor.

There was one in the parking lot of the Lake Air Mall (was a Hartz Chicken prior).

Used to love playing sand volleyball out in the area and then running to Taco C for some grub.

I thought I remembered one there. I think it opened about the time the one by Baylor opened (around 92). The one on Bosque didn't last long. Is the old Taco C building still there converted to something else or is it gone. I can't tell now.
4th and Inches
It was a cool place but it got passed by with places like Fuego, Torchys, and Freebirds/Chipolte
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
hodedofome
I love Taco C and crave it anytime I am south of Austin. That's where Taco C is still legit and so good. North of Austin it's just bad. I live in Waco and want it so bad but just can't bring myself to go there. It just doesn't taste the same. The tacos are all soggy and gooey with grease.

If I'm in San Antonio or San Marcos, you know where I'll be.

It was started in San Antonio so you just gotta be close to their home base where they keep tabs on what's going on.

Mama Margies in San Antonio came out of Taco C. It's supposed to be fresher and less cookie cutter than Taco C, but I still like the flavor of the meat at Taco C more.
Sampi82
hodedofome said:

I love Taco C and crave it anytime I am south of Austin. That's where Taco C is still legit and so good. North of Austin it's just bad. I live in Waco and want it so bad but just can't bring myself to go there. It just doesn't taste the same. The tacos are all soggy and gooey with grease.

If I'm in San Antonio or San Marcos, you know where I'll be.

It was started in San Antonio so you just gotta be close to their home base where they keep tabs on what's going on.

Mama Margies in San Antonio came out of Taco C. It's supposed to be fresher and less cookie cutter than Taco C, but I still like the flavor of the meat at Taco C more.

The original TC in San Antonio located at the corner of W. Hildebrand and San Pedro.
Yogi
BealBear said:

RIP Queso the cat....

Underrated post.
PartyBear
Cha Cho's in SA is better. However, it has not expanded outside of SA.
IASIP Rocks
I can confirm it's permanently closed. Super bummer. My wife and I would still pick up taco c to go up until like a month ago when we had late night munchies. In college, before tests, I would study till the library closed down (I think 2:00a) and then go post up at taco c. Of course, hit it up on Friday and Saturday nights too. So sad it's gone, end of an era.
Wineguy89
Yet LJS lives on huh? Amy must spend max bucks there when she's in town.....

Big12Bear
Wineguy89 said:

They're on a short leash. I noticed an OG location shut down in Dallas. Taco C famous Lower Greenville location is toast. Nostalgia.
BearChick
Big12Bear said:

Wineguy89 said:

They're on a short leash. I noticed an OG location shut down in Dallas. Taco C famous Lower Greenville location is toast. Nostalgia.

Both Frisco locations also closed last week.

Vaya con Dios, Eggs Mexicana platter.
william
TC is basically crap these days.

First started eating there 40 years ago. It was a unique concept at the time - and managed really well.

Should just close them all down. They'll be out of business before long.

- KKM

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.