Source: Waco, BU in talks about possible downtown site for new arena

4,931 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FrankFallonCalling
vg1984
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Source--Waco-BU-in-talks-about-possible-downtown-site-for-new-arena-568022991.html
atomicblast
So if Baylor and Waco go in together, would Waco chip in some money for the arena?
Old300Bear
Probably sewer lines, water lines, electrical, sidewalks, streetlights, etc. which add up.
Fred Barber
Kyle
If the Ferrell Center really in that need of replacing? It has been a long time since I've been there, but it seems like a great venue.
MrGolfguy
No, the FC is more than adequate as has been proven many times, Sat being the most recent.
Big12Bear
It's an arms race.

Off the top of my head in the state of Texas, you have had either:

major renovations (SMU, TCU, Houston)
Fairly new arena (Tech)
Future new arena (BU, UT)

Reed Arena in BCS is not all that old - 20 years??
PartyBear
Reed Arena is 10 years younger than Ferrell Center.
Ludwig von Missi
Kyle said:

If the Ferrell Center really in that need of replacing? It has been a long time since I've been there, but it seems like a great venue.
The Ferrell Center is among the worst venues in all of college basketball...at least in terms of teams that are serious about competing. It is terribly outdated, too big, and has oval shaped seating around a rectangular court.
beardoc
atomicblast said:

So if Baylor and Waco go in together, would Waco chip in some money for the arena?
Someone in Waco might.
PartyBear
The problem here with a Waco partnership is that the venue is going to be small. Waco's actual interest would be hosting concerts or other types of shows like the Erwin Center does. That said I'm sure they will get some TIFF money either way. McLane got a substantial amount.
baylrballa
MrGolfguy said:

No, the FC is more than adequate as has been proven many times, Sat being the most recent.
I always hope to strive for adequacy.
IamBaylorOne
Probably partner with Waco so they can sale alcohol in the venue and claim "its the City" and not us good Baptist.
Yogi
Texas Tech opened United Supermarkets Arena in 1999, so it is also 20 years old.

It is going through expansion with new practice courts being added.

The nuts and bolts of that arena are fine, though it was overbuilt for basketball. It is great, however, for concerts and graduations.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
beardoc
the practice courts are across the street about 100 yards away. I have been to both concerts and bball games there. Concerts are better
Redbrickbear
PartyBear said:

Reed Arena is 10 years younger than Ferrell Center.
Reed arena looks like it's from the 1970s on the outside.

And inside it is never full.

Aggy always builds ugly buildings that are to big.
Edmond Bear
Crash Davis said:

Kyle said:

The Ferrell Center is among the worst venues in all of college basketball...at least in terms of teams that are serious about competing. It is terribly outdated, too big, and has oval shaped seating around a rectangular court.

The Ferrell Center design pushes seats away from the court reducing fan connectedness and energy.

Because of a lack of club or luxury amenities, the athletics department can only sell court proximity as an incentive. That group happens to be the lowest energy and most likely to show up intermittently.

The concession hallways are narrow and ugly.

The whole thing works together to suck the energy out of the arena. There is no there there. No party. That keeps students away.

Beardown1919
Yogi said:

Texas Tech opened United Supermarkets Arena in 1999, so it is also 20 years old.

It is going through expansion with new practice courts being added.

The nuts and bolts of that arena are fine, though it was overbuilt for basketball. It is great, however, for concerts and graduations.

United Supermarkets Arena is a great arena. Reed Arena is crap. Hilarious they opened a year apart.
Stefano DiMera
Its all about revenue streams and club seating. Think Reunion Arena.
Edmond Bear
Stefano DiMera said:

Its all about revenue streams and club seating. Think Reunion Arena.

Agreed - Club seating lets more businesses that may not be affiliated with Baylor buy-in...with seats away from the court.

Locating downtown makes it even easier for businesses to jump in. Think Magnolia instead of just Chip and Jo. Lots of insurance companies, law firms, and banks within a few blocks of the proposed downtown location to sell to.

Bearly
Front page story today in Trib about the Brazil's Promenade project moving forward. It appears to be adjacent to Robinson Tower, eliminating any chance of a a downtown basketball venue.
Edmond Bear

Webster and University:
https://www.wacotrib.com/business/riverfront-development-gets-million-infrastructure-boost-march-start-date/article_68d5904b-0b2e-59bb-9d99-1125015d71a9.html

I guess we can quit talking about a downtown location.

So...let's start a petition to combine the stadium with the Hurd Visitor Center so it can go right next to freshman dorms and I-35.
FrankFallonCalling
Edmond Bear said:

Webster and University:
https://www.wacotrib.com/business/riverfront-development-gets-million-infrastructure-boost-march-start-date/article_68d5904b-0b2e-59bb-9d99-1125015d71a9.html

So...let's start a petition to combine the stadium with the Hurd Visitor Center so it can go right next to freshman dorms and I-35.

The rumor has been for some time that the downtown location is off. Huge mistake, in my opinion.

That said, the work referenced in this article is several blocks away from where the arena would be located.
Edmond Bear

It's a shame but I get it. The city would be giving up some high tax opportunity property on the river for a low tax arena.

And, the property being discussed is at Webster and University which is next to Robinson tower.

baylrballa
Edmond Bear said:

It's a shame but I get it. The city would be giving up some high tax opportunity property on the river for a low tax arena.

And, the property being discussed is at Webster and University which is next to Robinson tower.

Wonder how many taxes they are getting from that electric sub station...
Yogi
The electric substation would be a great location because it would sandwich I-35 between two state-of-the-art athletic venues. And, Buzzard Billy's would be buzzing after basketball games. It also would have easy access to the River Walk and the Promenade.

Another alternative site could be at the corner of LaSalle and MLK.

Purchase that block, extend the river walk, and then build the arena and an indoor track facility on the land. Combine parking areas and then you've got a great parking arrangement for all the venues, including McLane.

Add another pedestrian bridge between the new arena and Ferrell Field/ Ferrell Center - Perfect.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BU99
The downtown location is not off, first hand information.
FrankFallonCalling
Edmond Bear said:

Webster and University is the old fire station. The alleged arena site would likely have been at Clay and University.

11 Webster Ave, Waco, TX 76706
https://goo.gl/maps/sSFJstcHQ29bkCaZ7
FrankFallonCalling
BU99 said:

GREAT news! Would love to see it happen.
Snuf
Edmond Bear said:

Webster and University:

I don't know if the BB facility will end up in downtown but the announced development downtown is not the same location as the BB facility.
UBBY
BU99 said:

Could they do both? The only space available is if they put it directly beside Clifton Robinson Tower. I just don't see enough room to build a fieldhouse and have enough parking put there and also a riverfront project. Unless they find a spot for another parking garage.
Redbrickbear
FrankFallonCalling said:

Edmond Bear said:

Webster and University is the old fire station. The alleged arena site would likely have been at Clay and University.

11 Webster Ave, Waco, TX 76706
https://goo.gl/maps/sSFJstcHQ29bkCaZ7
Yea Brazos place apartments used to be those crappy apartments right next to Robinson tower. Those where torn down in like 2016-2017.

So it is an open space right now and big enough I would think for a basketball Field house.
FrankFallonCalling
UBBY said:

BU99 said:

Could they do both? The only space available is if they put it directly beside Clifton Robinson Tower. I just don't see enough room to build a fieldhouse and have enough parking put there and also a riverfront project. Unless they find a spot for another parking garage.

I seem to recall at least one parking facility being included in the original development plans. Obviously, that would not be sufficient for a 7500-person arena, but it would not be beyond the scope of imagination to see those plans being expanded in a public-private partnership.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.