What Local Restaurants Will Not Survive the Kung Fu Hysteria?

4,444 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EnglishBear
Kyle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not local anymore, but there likely will be dozens of local business lost to Kung Fu hysteria? What do you think is the most vulnerable?
bularry
Isn't Kung Fu an old TV show?
william
bularry said:

Isn't Kung Fu an old TV show?
grassahoppa - u must walk on rice-uh pape-ah................

- KKM

order take out. drive thru.

not that hard.

take arby's for instance.....

D!
Kyle
Does Fat Ho Burger make it?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
It lasted around 6 months total in two locations and has been closed 8 years. Get to Waco much?
MrGolfguy
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

It lasted around 6 months total in two locations and has been closed 8 years. Get to Waco much?
Believe in Reincarnation?

kxxv.com/hometown/mclennan-county/fat-ho-burger-food-truck-spotted-in-waco
4th and Inches
5 guys didnt make it
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Kyle
I know - low information loud mouths are still loud mouths. Talk first, think second.
Kyle
At this rate, all of Waco might disappear.
Sampi82
“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
Yogi
Pizza Planet.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
baylrballa
The pho place that Waco finally got a month ago.
BUbearinARK
Don't see how the chicken shack can take a hit like this

Edit: op, the title of this thread is as absurd as my restaurant selection. Not for pc reasons (because I kinda the name wuhan flu personally), but because you clearly think this is 'hysteria' rather than reasonable and measured response. But carry on. This isn't the great kung fu debate thread, after all.
Flaming Moderate
I have a bad feeling any non-chain restaurants in Waco will not survive. This little places don't have the capital to sustain months without customers.
dave714
Yogi said:

Pizza Planet.
Died 40 years ago in Waco. Corner of lake air and bosque.
MrGolfguy
dave714 said:

Yogi said:

Pizza Planet.
Its been awhile but it wasn't 40 years, closer to 30.
Yogi
Flaming Moderate said:

I have a bad feeling any non-chain restaurants in Waco will not survive. This little places don't have the capital to sustain months without customers.
The reason coronavirus is actually not a bad thing for big business and large chains.
Yogi
dave714 said:

Yogi said:

Pizza Planet.
Somewhere in that vicinity. I went there as a kid.

Down the street at New Road and Bosque was Dunkin Donuts and then Polar Bear Ashburn's ice cream.

I seem to remember going to Pizza Planet for dinner followed up by Polar Bear Ashburn's for dessert.
BCL79
In restaurant business mags, blogs, etc, I've seen estimates from at least 3% to 30%. I think less than 10% is a miracle. In general restaurant margins are thin. Many who look OK are really operating out of cash flow. Shutting down for a month? They're dead.
Bear Doc
Flaming Moderate said:

Which is why we are currently not going to any chains when we get take-out food.

Interestingly, we want to Fuddruckers last night to get some grill at home burgers (they are a local franchise, not corporately owned) and the employee told me that by pivoting to selling bread and other grocery items directly to the public they have been able maintain their normal levels of business. They changed their entire model very quickly and certainly have benefited from being agile.
whitetrash
Article in the WTH this morning about how the local Vietnamese restaurant downtown is selling toilet paper and other household staples, which gives new meaning to their name "Clay Pot".
Flaming Moderate
Bear Doc said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Which is why we are currently not going to any chains when we get take-out food.

Interestingly, we want to Fuddruckers last night to get some grill at home burgers (they are a local franchise, not corporately owned) and the employee told me that by pivoting to selling bread and other grocery items directly to the public they have been able maintain their normal levels of business. They changed their entire model very quickly and certainly have benefited from being agile.
I hope you're right, but I think there is 0% chance any business can sustain pre-quarantine levels. The world is going to look very different, and those closed businesses will impact rents, property values, etc. This likely is not going to unwind for years. It is going to take a really long time for new entrepreneurs to get capital to replenish all those small businesses wiped out.
EnglishBear
Yogi said:

dave714 said:

Yogi said:

Pizza Planet.
Somewhere in that vicinity. I went there as a kid.

Down the street at New Road and Bosque was Dunkin Donuts and then Polar Bear Ashburn's ice cream.

I seem to remember going to Pizza Planet for dinner followed up by Polar Bear Ashburn's for dessert.
It's also the only restaurant mentioned or shown (their delivery truck) in every Pixar movie except the Incredibles.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.