WHAT'S OPEN IN WACO?

3,617 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1outawayBear
shosgd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wanted to make a trip to Waco this weekend. What is open?
WacoKelly83
Are you talking touristy stuff or restaurants and shopping? Bars and most restaurants are open with limited capacity. Patios are the hot thing at restaurants for sure.
shosgd
Thank you! What about the touristy stuff?
CTbruin
Golf
Bear Doc
We are doing a river cruise tonight with Waco Tours. Not something we normally would have done being locals, but they have a BOGO offer through the end of the month as they get ramped up again.

https://www.waco-tours.com/our-tours/post/all-tours-river-cruise-tour

The Promo code is: WELOVEWACO

Would probably be too expensive/not worth it without the code, but a 2.5 hour cruise on the Brazos for 2 people for about $80 I think is a pretty good value!
CammoTX
Bear Doc said:

We are doing a river cruise tonight with Waco Tours. Not something we normally would have done being locals, but they have a BOGO offer through the end of the month as they get ramped up again.

Would probably be too expensive/not worth it without the code, but a 2.5 hour cruise on the Brazos for 2 people for about $80 I think is a pretty good value!

So, would you recommend?
Bear Doc
CammoTX said:

Bear Doc said:

So, would you recommend?

Yeah it was awesome. They have great pontoon boats that they use and it was a very relaxing evening. I would do it again in a heartbeat, especially with a BOGO coupon.
IASIP Rocks
I like Waco. I live in Waco. I don't understand the premise of traveling here other than for Baylor sports in normal circumstances, and that goes doubly now.
Bexar Pitts
Why travel to Waco? If you're looking for a great place to retire, you might consider selling your $1,000,000 home in a large Texas metro area...putting $700,000 in the bank....and buying a comparable home in Waco for $300,000. That disparity has been narrowing, but it still exists to some degree. Just one reason to come and visit our fair city. Guess I should also say that I've lived in Waco for 70 years, so I might be a tad subjective in my opinion! :-) Sic 'Em!
trey3216
Bexar Pitts said:

Why travel to Waco? If you're looking for a great place to retire, you might consider selling your $1,000,000 home in a large Texas metro area...putting $700,000 in the bank....and buying a comparable home in Waco for $300,000. That disparity has been narrowing, but it still exists to some degree. Just one reason to come and visit our fair city. Guess I should also say that I've lived in Waco for 70 years, so I might be a tad subjective in my opinion! :-) Sic 'Em!

Yeah, not quite the case anymore. A lot of areas in Waco are seeing similar $/sq ft as some of the more popular suburbs in TX. I've had friends move here from Plano and The Woodlands they paid more for their house here than they sold for in those areas, and we're talking nice, 3500-4200 ft homes.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bexar Pitts
I've heard similar stories as well..Still, I think there are opportunities now to make a nice real estate "swap" from DFW , Houston, or Austin. Of course, the heyday of these deals was several years ago , in the BM ( Before Magnolia} period of Waco's history.
Boernebear
Waco is a great town to visit! It's unique, friendly and has great things to do for families. We like it so much that we have a place in Waco for game weekends and occasional getaways. In fact, we have been enjoying our time in Waco this weekend, and it has been a nice change of scenery. I can certainly understand the appeal and that's before you even take into account the Magnolia effect.

This weekend, we have enjoyed some of our favorite restaurants, walked around downtown and took evening walks along the river. Our favorite restaurants - George's, Ninfa's and Franklin Ave Mac House - have been spot on! We've tried a couple places that we haven't been to before including Helberg BBQ and Cajun Craft and both were awesome.

We're hoping to get back once more before football season starts. We just enjoy being in Waco and love supporting the local economy!
Boernebear
Also forgot to mention another favorite worth trying if you haven't been - Revival Eastside Eatery. Really incredible sandwiches and burgers and extremely friendly service on the redeveloping Elm Ave corridor.
T-REX
Scruffs is open and all ages 18+ are welcome to come stimulate the economy and your liver
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Yeah, not quite the case anymore. A lot of areas in Waco are seeing similar $/sq ft as some of the more popular suburbs in TX. I've had friends move here from Plano and The Woodlands they paid more for their house here than they sold for in those areas, and we're talking nice, 3500-4200 ft homes.
Yep - we are under contract on a waco home that is very similar to the houses we were looking at in plano and allen...actually a tad higher than the comparables in those areas.
1outawayBear
Boernebear said:

Also forgot to mention another favorite worth trying if you haven't been - Revival Eastside Eatery. Really incredible sandwiches and burgers and extremely friendly service on the redeveloping Elm Ave corridor.
menu looks great. will have to try it when we go back
Bexar Pitts
1outaway, I congratulate you on the decision to buy in Waco. As a city, Waco has a lot to offer its citizens. As with other growing Texas cities, home pricing is certainly sensitive to location. Magnolia, in my opinion, has brought a great deal of interest in living in Waco, and our real estate prices have been catching up to the areas from which our new residents are coming from. Just a normal course of business. I think Magnolia isn't the only reason that we've seen home prices increase, but it did serve as a legitimate catalyst. To my original comments on Waco real estate costs, I still think that there are areas of the city where wonderful homes can be purchased at lower per square ft. pricing than DFW, Houston, or Austin. If you're new to McLennan County, a good realtor can guide you to these homes now on the market. Just as an example, the NW section of Waco (Meadow Wood, Harry Lewis additions, etc} occasionally still offer 3000 and above sq ft.homes at reasonable prices) Worth checking out if you're looking at moving here.Again, very happy to know you've chosen Waco as your home! Sic 'Em!
1outawayBear
Boernebear said:

tried it today with the family, really enjoyed it thanks for the rec
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.