Carry gun for wife

3,164 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tyrie13
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife wants to get her LTC.

What should she get? Shield? Glock?
Tyrie13
Im a glock guy but you cant go wrong with a shield or a G 43/45 for her... The best Carry Gun is the one shes most comfterble with. Take her to hold them and see which one feels best in her hand. Maybe she will like the Taurus.
KajunKarlsdad
G 43 is a great option. I have one and for a compact is pretty accurate.
KajunKarlsdad
Sorry for the double or triple post, computer went crazy.
KajunKarlsdad
GoBearsGo
Take her to a gun store/range. Let her hold AND fire several guns. My wife ended up with a SigP238 and loves it. Next big thing is she needs to really practice not just shooting live rounds, but dry fire the **** out of it. Load and unload the clip. Practice pulling it out of her purse, jeans etc. Really get to know the gun. Makes a world of difference.
trey3216
I think the S&W Bodyguard .380 is a great carry weapon for your wife. But yes, take her to a gun store and let her try out several to hold, and then to an indoor range where you can shoot several different models.

Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
4th and Inches
trey3216 said:

I think the S&W Bodyguard .380 is a great carry weapon for your wife. But yes, take her to a gun store and let her try out several to hold, and then to an indoor range where you can shoot several different models.

sig 938 or a S&W bodyguard 380 are good choices. As already stated, really needs to shoot several to find her comfort
Michibear
I'm torn.

Maybe this . . .

or this. . .
CammoTX
So real decision is between a 454 raging bull and desert eagle .50...
syme
Just this week my wife went with a Springfield 911 .380. Comfortable and soft shooting. 9mm had a little too much snap.

4th and Inches
syme said:

Just this week my wife went with a Springfield 911 .380. Comfortable and soft shooting. 9mm had a little too much snap.

looked at that one this weekend at the local hardware store.
Grimm
Is she looking for on body carry? I have gone down to a gen one LCP because it's small enough for me to not notice it. I have two shields, and a few other compacts, but eventually I get tired of carrying them. My wife likes to shoot the bersa 380 but she doesn't carry it.
Volunteer
I highly recommend the Walther PK380 for the ladies. Not all, but many ladies have difficulty operating the slide on most handguns. The slide on the Walther is easy to manipulate and every lady I've seen test out the PK380 has felt very comfortable with operating the weapon. Additionally the gun is lightweight and compact - but not so compact that it is difficult to control when firing.

GoBearsGo
qualify with a semi automatic and not a revolver. I was always told a snub nosed .38 was the way to go. No slide or magazine. aim and pull the trigger.
Pecos 45
Double action .38 special revolver.
Carry it with hammer on an empty chamber, all others loaded.
Take out of purse, pull the trigger.
Very simple. No safety to disengage, and I never heard of anyone finding a dead man with a jammed revolver in his hand.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
bularry
syme said:

that's a good looking little pistol
Mr Tulip
Pecos 45 said:

Double action .38 special revolver.
Carry it with hammer on an empty chamber, all others loaded.
Take out of purse, pull the trigger.
Very simple. No safety to disengage, and I never heard of anyone finding a dead man with a jammed revolver in his hand.
Only use a revolver when it absolutely HAS to fire when you press the trigger.
Pecos 45
Women have trouble pulling the slide back on an auto, and if it should jam, or misfeed, they struggle to clear it.
With a double action .38 revolver, they just pull the trigger.
Get one with a lighter trigger pull.

I have a Walther PPK, and a 1911 Colt ACP as well as an S&W .38 Special and a Colt Python.
My wife's favorite gun by far is the Python revolver because she never struggles to fire it.
As much as people are enamored with autos, they WILL jam or misfeed.
You just don't know when it will happen, and it could come at the worst possible moment.

With a double action revolver, you just pull the trigger.
If it doesn't fire, pull it again!!!!
Malcolm Forbes
Mr Tulip
Shooting, obviously, can be an enjoyable hobby for some people. I have a friend that, among other things, owns a Barrett .50cal rifle with the 12x scope. I think he's invested like $12k in the setup. Each round is like $5. He has pistols for speed, for accuracy, etc.

If you look at your weapon as a tool, and in this instance we want our tool to accomplish the mission of "there's a human next to me, and he's trying to kill me! I want him not to do that!" (I hope you're not deploying deadly force for any other reason), then the .38 double action revolver checks all the boxes.

It's small enough that you'll keep it around without making special accommodations. It's safe enough that you won't hurt something inadvertently. It's speedy enough to provide instant access. Critically, it's going to work when it needs to.

Even if you haven't hit your target, it's loud enough that a human attacker will get the message - as will anyone in the area. You WILL get attention quickly!
Pecos 45
Mr. Tulip understands.
Malcolm Forbes
mlb60
Take a look at the hammerless S&W Airweight .38. Pull it out, pull the trigger, and it fires, regardless of when it was last oiled, dust bunnies, etc.... It's accurate enough at typical defensive handgun use distances.
And the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days.—Ray Wylie Hubbard
WILLIS
Have a S&W bodyguard in a .380. Some hollow point rounds in the mag. It's extremely concealable. Don't love to shoot it at the range but that's the sacrifice for concealing so well.
Tyrie13
Even if you think your in a safe place lock your vehicle. This happened to me about 2 hours ago. Thankfully Woodway PD was on point and we saw the guy leave my truck.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.