East Waco heating up

10,175 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fadskier
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.wacotrib.com/business/east-waco-becoming-force-for-change-development/article_0dd3bec9-9095-5cd9-ba19-72ba7ad07b77.html

Project planned for East Waco:
- Bridge Stree enhancements to create a festival venue
- coffee shop (effort led by Cody Carlson)
- a food hub that sounds really cool - caterers and food truck operators can prepare meals and fill orders to go (led by Brazos Valley Cheese and Heritage Homestead)
- three hotels
- high-end apartment complex
- restaurants
- custom boot shop
- bank branch
Colt B.
Staff
Probably something else too
baylrballa
Fieldhouse?
Michibear
Colt B. said:

Baylor Quidditch Pitch?

Edmond Bear
Colt B. said:

Sicem365 Global Domination Headquarters?

BellCountyBear
East Waco enema on schedule!
FrankFallonCalling
Colt B. said:

REALLY curious to hear more about this.
BearlyHeardFrom
They're gonna look back on this and be embarrassed.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Drove by last week and that place on the corner looks almost done.
bularry
BearlyHeardFrom said:

They're gonna look back on this and be embarrassed.
we can only hope.
GhettoHEBear
Michibear said:

Colt B. said:

Baylor Quidditch Pitch?

You just got your asses kicked by a bunch of gotdam nerds. NERDS!!!!!
Baylor Mafioso
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Anything happening with the hotels?
Boernebear
Yes, they are all under construction/framing. Really changing that side of MLK near downtown. The new apartments are about complete also.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Boernebear said:

Yes, they are all under construction/framing. Really changing that side of MLK near downtown. The new apartments are about complete also.
I drove by this weekend and noticed them putting down concrete for new sidewalks on MLK and Elm. Going to be great looking soon.
Boernebear
Yes, agreed. And the redo of Bridge St parallel to Elm is going to be incredibly nice when complete.

Great things happening and this investment in the infrastructure will lead to more businesses coming in.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Boernebear said:

Yes, agreed. And the redo of Bridge St parallel to Elm is going to be incredibly nice when complete.

Great things happening and this investment in the infrastructure will lead to more businesses coming in.
I know of one project for Bridge Street I am excited to see happen.
FrankFallonCalling
Brian Ethridge said:

Boernebear said:

That's the second breadcrumb staff has dropped on this thread.

Arena? SE365 HQ?

The Mary Ave Bridge concept that has been floated would be really cool if the funding came through. If you've been to the Highline in NYC or the 606 in Chicago, you know what I mean.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
FrankFallonCalling said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Boernebear said:

Arena? SE365 HQ?

The Mary Ave Bridge concept that has been floated would be really cool if the funding came through. If you've been to the Highline in NYC or the 606 in Chicago, you know what I mean.
A guy I know bought some acres over there and it'll be great to see it developed.

Don't think there is room for the arena.

Isn't an area being dedicated to a farmer's market or something like that over there as well?
FrankFallonCalling
Brian Ethridge said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Boernebear said:

Arena? SE365 HQ?

A guy I know bought some acres over there and it'll be great to see it developed.

Don't think there is room for the arena.

Isn't an area being dedicated to a farmer's market or something like that over there as well?
The farmer's market was on the opposite side of the river and I think is still supposed to move back once that development is finished. There was a (monthly?) little market on Elm for a while, but I think that has tapered off.

EDIT: Looks like Brotherwell is bringing it back. https://www.instagram.com/eastside.market/

Really excited to see E Waco on the come-up. As a native to McLennan County who had several recurring obligations on that side of the river, I never would have imagined this.
Boernebear
Brian Ethridge said:

Boernebear said:

Ha, I was trying to squeeze something out with that comment. Excited to see it all come together. This area has the opportunity to be amazing pre-game on football days with restaurants/bars/breweries all walkable from McLane.
Boernebear
Correct, the farmer's market is still expected to move back to the grove of trees along the river as part of the "Riverfront" development along University Parks.

There was a recent Trib article on the farmer's market as well that had a mention of moving back to that site: https://wacotrib.com/business/local/waco-downtown-farmers-market-staying-fresh-amid-challenges/article_caaea6d4-7926-50d5-a49d-8b149bd85a1e.html
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Boernebear said:

Correct, the farmer's market is still expected to move back to the grove of trees along the river as part of the "Riverfront" development along University Parks.

There was a recent Trib article on the farmer's market as well that had a mention of moving back to that site: https://wacotrib.com/business/local/waco-downtown-farmers-market-staying-fresh-amid-challenges/article_caaea6d4-7926-50d5-a49d-8b149bd85a1e.html
Cool. So much is changing there.
Old300Bear
Wife and i drove around downtown a few days ago. It is amazing how much is going on. They are building or remodeling everywhere.
Fred Barber
Weston Rogers
We will see what the long term outlook is on that neighborhood embracing the development... Let's just say it's not very popular right now.
CammoTX
A lot of Hispanics aren't super excited about what has happened in East Austin. Just saying...
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Weston Rogers said:

We will see what the long term outlook is on that neighborhood embracing the development... Let's just say it's not very popular right now.
It seemed several of the lots were empty when I took Elm to 933 out of town.
fadskier
I know it's called East Waco but isn't it really North of the river?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
MrGolfguy
Yes, and Valley Mills Dr runs east to west yet they call it N.Valley Mills & S.Valley Mills.
Robert Wilson
There's not really anything in Waco that runs a clean N, S, E, or W.
Robert Wilson
fadskier said:

I know it's called East Waco but isn't it really North of the river?
It's north of the river, it's east of the river, hell part of it is south of the river. There's not a straight line in that river, nor in Waco (largely thanks to that river).
trey3216
The river runs NW>>>SE. the Streets are pretty much oriented to the river. I-35 Southbound through Waco actually runs almost a pure Southwest rather than south. So yes, it is "north of the river", but East Waco is also East of downtown as well.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Grimm
East and West is demarcated by the river. North and South by Austin (or the city hall which is on Austin). As far as I know, Waco drive is the only one with a West designation...
PartyBear
I'm not sure if it is still the plan, but in 19 I thought the guy who built Hotel Indigo was planning another similar type hotel on the other side of the river.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Drove by yesterday and saw people moving into the place on the corner of Elm. Hotel was coming along as well.
Boernebear
Yes, that's the hotels being referenced above - there are three different hotels going up currently between Franklin and Elm along MLK.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.