IT Jobs in Waco

2,866 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lrwells50
greggor25
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Good Afternoon,

Does anyone know a good resource for IT jobs in Waco? Specifically Network Engineering/Administration.
Edmond Bear

IT is an industry that enables you to live where you want and support remotely. As more companies adopt Cloud-based systems, there is no reason to live near hardware.

You might check Dice.com for remote jobs and Upwork.com for freelance jobs. Maybe you can put a few freelance jobs together to create a great income.

I work for an IT Consulting firm, live in the OKC area and drive to the mothership in Plano every other week for a couple of days. Definitely doable.

RebelT
I don't work directly within IT, but I work in an associated field and work with IT folks on a daily basis.

What Edmond said is definitely correct, but I'd also note that from what I am seeing more and more, the specific skillsets you have and products that you've worked on largely determine the availability of jobs.

To be specific, I most often see folks that are experienced in Junos getting jobs at Juniper shops, folks that are experienced in Pan-OS getting jobs at PANW shops, etc. So, if you have specific skillsets or certifications that you can provide, that is helpful in determining options for potential employers, and I may be able to provide references for companies that you could do remote work for from Waco. If the answer is that you don't have any product-specific skillsets, that's fine too -- just putting it out there.
greggor25
I've always had a job where I've had to be on site. I'd like to have a work from home job with a little bit of travel as Edmonds said.

I have tons of experience working with Juniper and Fortinet. I was looking to move to Waco to be closer to my family.
RebelT
greggor25 said:

I've always had a job where I've had to be on site. I'd like to have a work from home job with a little bit of travel as Edmonds said.

I have tons of experience working with Juniper and Fortinet. I was looking to move to Waco to be closer to my family.

Probably around half of my clients use Juniper, so let me take a look at some of their job listings and see if they have anything open. I'll DM you if so with info on how you can apply, and in some cases I might be able to make a recommendation. No promises because I know a number of them have scaled back hiring recently, but I'm happy to take a look.
NOVA Bear
My next inside sales office is going to be in Waco. Mark it down. I. Need excuses to see games.
TXWayne
greggor25 said:

Our entire company that can work remote has been working remote since March and will be for the remainder of this year. That is over 100,000 people. Even before this we were big on allowing IT folks to work remote full time where the position allowed which is most, in fact some folks were pushed remote. They did an analysis of the card readers and if you were not in the office more than 10 days a month you had to justify why you needed to be onsite. With that said, check out our jobs listing here, https://jobs.rtx.com/search-jobs. Not sure what all is listed now as things were a bit locked down in April right after our merger. Where it will be difficult is if the position is supporting classified work, remote is not possible. Half my team in IT Security is full time remote prior to the COVID lockdown.
greggor25
RebelT said:

greggor25 said:

Probably around half of my clients use Juniper, so let me take a look at some of their job listings and see if they have anything open. I'll DM you if so with info on how you can apply, and in some cases I might be able to make a recommendation. No promises because I know a number of them have scaled back hiring recently, but I'm happy to take a look.
Thanks. I know these are trying times and appreciate you looking.
greggor25
TXWayne said:

greggor25 said:

Our entire company that can work remote has been working remote since March and will be for the remainder of this year. That is over 100,000 people. Even before this we were big on allowing IT folks to work remote full time where the position allowed which is most, in fact some folks were pushed remote. They did an analysis of the card readers and if you were not in the office more than 10 days a month you had to justify why you needed to be onsite. With that said, check out our jobs listing here, https://jobs.rtx.com/search-jobs. Not sure what all is listed now as things were a bit locked down in April right after our merger. Where it will be difficult is if the position is supporting classified work, remote is not possible. Half my team in IT Security is full time remote prior to the COVID lockdown.

Thanks, I'll take a look. It's frowned upon at my current place of work to work remote. I can get more done being remote than being in the office because of not being bothered.

I will be getting a Security degree soon too that should help.
TXWayne
greggor25 said:

TXWayne said:

greggor25 said:

Thanks, I'll take a look. It's frowned upon at my current place of work to work remote. I can get more done being remote than being in the office because of not being bothered.

I will be getting a Security degree soon too that should help.
Yea, the problem with WFH is you never leave work. Frankly I am tired of it after four months.
Yogi
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Edmond Bear

Greggor, any luck?

greggor25
Edmond Bear said:

Greggor, any luck?

Yeah, I saw a few jobs on Dice. I'm waiting to get a big project done where currently work so I can add it to my resume.
gobears20
Staff
IT jobs are hard to find in Waco. I'm still lucky enough to be in it but more the BA side. My former job that I was at for 15 years outsourced all of IT Operations to Unisys. I was lucky enough to stay on with Unisys but not my cup of tea.
TXWayne
gobears20 said:

IT jobs are hard to find in Waco. I'm still lucky enough to be in it but more the BA side. My former job that I was at for 15 years outsourced all of IT Operations to Unisys. I was lucky enough to stay on with Unisys but not my cup of tea.
The best bet in this new normal may be a position allowing remote work. I don't anticipate being back in the office till mid next year, we were big on remote work before and feel like it will only increase. IT is one of the jobs that is very conducive to remote work.
hodedofome
I work for an MSP in Waco. Send me your info. We just filled an open position but are always interested in talking.
lrwells50
Daughter #1 has been working remotely on an internal Oracle project and for the last year and a half has been able to work from home. Prior to that she flew to her project early Monday morning and flew home Thursday evening. She said the clients like to see the people they're paying for in the office. I wonder how COVID-19 has changed that?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.