Bear Ridge reopens this Friday

16,682 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CTbruin
CTbruin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just stopped by to check on the new greens on my way home. I walked to the putting greens and it looked good. Not 100%, but certainly ready to play.

I checked in the pro shop and was told the full course with reopen this Friday, July 17.

Congrats to Tommy !
MrGolfguy
Thanks for the report. When Bear Ridge is lush & green with regular quality maintenance its the best course in Waco.
Hubbs
My dad is fired up!
1outawayBear
1outawayBear
someone in the neighborhood did aerials and posted them to the neighborhood group
BaylorBear20
Huge need for Waco. Cottonwood is nice but the city is too big for 1 good course. Having to viable places to play in the area will be huge
WILLIS
How is Lake Waco these days?
CTbruin
WILLIS said:

Unplayable goat pasture
MrGolfguy
CTbruin said:

WILLIS said:

Unplayable goat pasture
Such a shame because it has been a really nice course (at times) over several decades, i've got a lot of memories at that course and have really enjoyed playing it. It also has the history of hosting an LPGA event for about 8 years, so the potential out there is pretty high.
BaylorBear20
Complete ass lol. Sammons park is next best option within 30 mins of campus
MrGolfguy
BaylorBear20 said:

Complete ass lol. Sammons park is next best option within 30 mins of campus
Sammons, now that's a throwback. Haven't been there in years, it was called Temple Central Park back then. They've built a new clubhouse on the other side of the property and totally redone the routing of the course since i've played it last.
BaylorBear20
Played it last weekend. Good price for college student on weekend ($28) some pretty nice holes with a good layout. Then some that's pretty much playing a your local park.
CTbruin
Played my first round of golf ever at Lake Waco in 1962. Was hosting a LPGA event then. I thought it was Augusta
CTbruin
We need a report if anyone plays Bear Ridge today
1outawayBear
CTbruin said:

We need a report if anyone plays Bear Ridge today
I will go play tomorrow morning if my work schedule holds up to what it is looking like currently. will report back.
SSadler
Drove by Bear Ridge coming and going to McGregor today. Nobody on the course, but then it was high noon.

Quite green with only patches of lighter tan grass on the greens.

Would play it if I still played . . . but I'm retired from that STUPID game !

Anybody remember a 9 hole golf course that sat on the east side of LaSalle circa 1965???
CTbruin
SSadler said:

Drove by Bear Ridge coming and going to McGregor today. Nobody on the course, but then it was high noon.

Quite green with only patches of lighter tan grass on the greens.

Would play it if I still played . . . but I'm retired from that STUPID game !

Anybody remember a 9 hole golf course that sat on the east side of LaSalle circa 1965???

Yes. In the 60s

It was called Huaco
SSadler
That's the name I've had in mind, but that's also the name of the club that was over on 20-something street whose clubhouse burned. Did the golf part of that club move over to LaSalle or just a coincidence of same naming?

The first time I ever played was somewhere in '66 ? Our church youth director took me there. By '68-'69 it was gone, I think, or maybe it had become a driving range only.. GHS golf team always played at Connally but once I think we hit balls at the LaSalle site.

Too many years and too many dead brain cells for me to remember 55 years ago.

thanks, ct.
CTbruin
Huaco was on 12tg street off LaSalle. I played it in 64 right after I got my drivers license. I got stopped by Waco PD because I didn't look old enough to drive.

It was an attempt to reopen an old course. Didn't last very long. Was pretty bad with no water, etc.
forza orsi
SSadler said:

That's the name I've had in mind, but that's also the name of the club that was over on 20-something street whose clubhouse burned. Did the golf part of that club move over to LaSalle or just a coincidence of same naming?

The first time I ever played was somewhere in '66 ? Our church youth director took me there. By '68-'69 it was gone, I think, or maybe it had become a driving range only.. GHS golf team always played at Connally but once I think we hit balls at the LaSalle site.

Too many years and too many dead brain cells for me to remember 55 years ago.

thanks, ct.
The Huaco Club at 29th & Sanger, with golf, tennis, and a clubhouse. Opened in 1912. Some cool photos at the link below. It burned not many years after it opened. It was sold for a subdivision and my grandparents built a house on what was former golf course land.
https://wacohistory.org/items/show/87
Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

Huaco was on 12tg street off LaSalle. I played it in 64 right after I got my drivers license. I got stopped by t Waco PD because I didn't look old enough to drive.

It was an attempt to reopen an old course. Didn't last very long. Was pretty bad with no water, etc.
You're spot on, CT. I played it around that time,too. Strangest memory I have of the course is that it bordered a cemetery. I recall seeing services going on and hoping I didn't hook one into the proceedings. I've been around a lot of unusual settings, but that one gave me the "willies!"
trey3216
I play Lake Waco a lot because I like the layout of the course for afternoon summer rounds when no one wants to play because it's too hot. It's not in great shape, but it's not terrible either. Most of the greens are in solid shape, with a few that have bad dead spots in them. But that's not surprising. It desperately needs to have the clubhouse/19th re-done.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BaylorBear20
Drove by Bear Ridge again tonight. It's looking pretty good. Could see some dead areas but it's July in Texas. The greens I saw looked good. If they get a steady stream of golfers and continue to water it they will make it. Has a chance to be the premium public course or even better have it semi private so you have monthly cash coming in
CTbruin
I hear it is already working as semi-private. And it will become private if and when it reaches desired level members.
BaylorBear20
That would be sad. Waco needs another good public course. Thankfully I have 1 year left at Baylor so I'll get as much play out of it as I can while it's semi private
4yrletterbear
What happened to the Connelly Golf Course? Still around?
BaylorHistory
4yrletterbear said:

Dead and gone for years. I do believe the land is for sale though.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
CTbruin
trey3216 said:

I play Lake Waco a lot because I like the layout of the course for afternoon summer rounds when no one wants to play because it's too hot. It's not in great shape, but it's not terrible either. Most of the greens are in solid shape, with a few that have bad dead spots in them. But that's not surprising. I
t desperately needs to have the clubhouse/19th re-done.

Lake Waco was a successful CC 40 years ago. And it could be again with new ownership. Especially with the growth of the China Spring area.

But it will need someone like the new owner at Bear Ridge to get it done. Must have the capital, perseverance and patience to be successful.
Stranger
I would take a lot of money to bring Lake Waco CC back. The biggest obstacle is that the greens have never been rebuilt since the course was constructed sixty years ago. They have become hard and mounded over time.
Weston Rogers
Played Bear Ridge yesterday... Obviously in much better shape than when Richards owned the course, greens could use more time before they're being played, and I think Tommy would be a little grandiose thinking he can go full private(if true). The course would need to have a ton more done to it to get there, and would need amenities on the property to attract families(pool, tennis, restaurant, etc) and I don't think they have the room currently to support those items. Also their most likely clientele(homeowners in Twin Rivers) already have those amenities.

Weston Rogers
trey3216 said:

I play Lake Waco a lot because I like the layout of the course for afternoon summer rounds when no one wants to play because it's too hot. It's not in great shape, but it's not terrible either. Most of the greens are in solid shape, with a few that have bad dead spots in them. But that's not surprising. It desperately needs to have the clubhouse/19th re-done.

Let me know the next time you head out to Lake Waco, I'm just down the street and usually go over there just to get some golf in on weekday evenings, maybe we can convince Crash to tag along. Also they've started watering the property more lately, would love if they could find a buyer or group to buy and bring it back as a decent little semi private. So much potential with that property.
trey3216
Weston Rogers said:

trey3216 said:

Let me know the next time you head out to Lake Waco, I'm just down the street and usually go over there just to get some golf in on weekday evenings, maybe we can convince Crash to tag along. Also they've started watering the property more lately, would love if they could find a buyer or group to buy and bring it back as a decent little semi private. So much potential with that property.

Will do bro! Maybe sometime this coming week?
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
SSadler
BaylorHistory said:

4yrletterbear said:

Dead and gone for years. I do believe the land is for sale though.
Much of the land is already built out residential, but I've only gotten as far as the old entrance so I'm not sure how much of the far side is built.
BaylorBear20
That's encouraging to hear. Glad it was at least playable. Hopefully we get some more rain this summer and they continue to keep up with it.
Weston Rogers
trey3216 said:

Weston Rogers said:

trey3216 said:

Will do bro! Maybe sometime this coming week?

I'm in
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.