Bear Ridge reopens this Friday

16,856 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CTbruin
sipembeers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trey3216 said:

I play Lake Waco a lot because I like the layout of the course for afternoon summer rounds when no one wants to play because it's too hot. It's not in great shape, but it's not terrible either. Most of the greens are in solid shape, with a few that have bad dead spots in them. But that's not surprising. It desperately needs to have the clubhouse/19th re-done.

I live off of 12 at lake Waco. Richards son has really taken the lead on the course and is throwing some money into it. I don't think you see much change this year, but hopefully next spring it will be in better shape.

They are watering (greens) regularly, since the water pump has been replaced. Overseeding and fertilizing greens and fairways.
SSadler
When the new golf practice facility went in on University Parks, what happened to the "Bailey Practice (Building) and Range at Bear Ridge?
CTbruin
It was purchased by a local real estate guy. Made it his office
southtexasbear
Played yesterday. It's definitely improved. Greens are still bumpy. It'll settle soon. Really enjoyed our round.
CTbruin
southtexasbear said:

Played yesterday. It's definitely improved. Greens are still bumpy. It'll settle soon. Really enjoyed our round.

Thanks for the update
trey3216
sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

I play Lake Waco a lot because I like the layout of the course for afternoon summer rounds when no one wants to play because it's too hot. It's not in great shape, but it's not terrible either. Most of the greens are in solid shape, with a few that have bad dead spots in them. But that's not surprising. It desperately needs to have the clubhouse/19th re-done.

I live off of 12 at lake Waco. Richards son has really taken the lead on the course and is throwing some money into it. I don't think you see much change this year, but hopefully next spring it will be in better shape.

They are watering (greens) regularly, since the water pump has been replaced. Overseeding and fertilizing greens and fairways.

Weston and I played today. It is in better shape than it's been in a long time. Even better than 3 weeks ago when I played. Grass on the greens was long, which I understand, so it made for some difficult putting. Some greens have dead spots in them, which I knew would be the case, but otherwise the course is playable for sure. We had a damn good time
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BaylorHistory
SSadler said:

BaylorHistory said:

4yrletterbear said:

What happened to the Connelly Golf Course? Still around?

Dead and gone for years. I do believe the land is for sale though.
Much of the land is already built out residential, but I've only gotten as far as the old entrance so I'm not sure how much of the far side is built.
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot. There is a big plot of land between Concord Cemetary and Sanderson Farms on Aviation Pkwy that is for sale. Is that where the course was at?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
WILLIS
BaylorHistory said:

SSadler said:

BaylorHistory said:

4yrletterbear said:

Much of the land is already built out residential, but I've only gotten as far as the old entrance so I'm not sure how much of the far side is built.
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot. There is a big plot of land between Concord Cemetary and Sanderson Farms on Aviation Pkwy that is for sale. Is that where the course was at?

https://goo.gl/maps/tNkwihL5itmARthb8

Hit the satellite view. You can still make out the whole course, cart paths etc. Someone could probably reopen it if they reallyyy wanted to. The layout is still there.
sipembeers
trey3216 said:

sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

Weston and I played today. It is in better shape than it's been in a long time. Even better than 3 weeks ago when I played. Grass on the greens was long, which I understand, so it made for some difficult putting. Some greens have dead spots in them, which I knew would be the case, but otherwise the course is playable for sure. We had a damn good time

Going to have to inspect the windows when I get home now.
BaylorHistory
WILLIS said:

BaylorHistory said:

SSadler said:

BaylorHistory said:

4yrletterbear said:

Hit the satellite view. You can still make out the whole course, cart paths etc. Someone could probably reopen it if they reallyyy wanted to. The layout is still there.
Ah cool thanks. That's like 2 minutes from my office

...I coulda been a golf boy!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
WILLIS said:

BaylorHistory said:

SSadler said:

BaylorHistory said:

4yrletterbear said:

My old home course. Tee up on #7 and hit the cart path about 250 out and you might get the green at 320.
SSadler
Sheesh, Louise !

A year ago I drove out there on my way to Mexia and musta been ALL turned around. You've restored a part of my soul! Played that course in high and all the way thru Baylor--often 36 a day!
Stranger
My wife and I played Connally the last day it was open. I miss that fun course.
CTbruin
I got to play when it was still owned by the Air Force. Nice track and so well maintained.

After it became open to public, me and some high school buddies played it. And I will never forget throwing my driver in the lake on #6 or 7 tee box after topping my tee shot in the water. Of course I jumped in after it. Much trouble followed. And I lost the driver. More trouble when I got home.

Ahh.....the good ole days
sipembeers
sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

thought I was kidding? Walked into house after my round this afternoon to finds this.
trey3216
sipembeers said:

sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

thought I was kidding? Walked into house after my round this afternoon to finds this.

Wasn't me. I striped mine down the right side of the fairway. That day.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
sipembeers said:

sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

How did they get under your patio?
sipembeers
Brian Ethridge said:

sipembeers said:

sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

That's a great question. Thinking it hit the deck about 15 yards away and bounced. I'm about 270 from the tee and 40 yards from the fairway.

Son found the golf ball in the house and was pissed.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
sipembeers said:

Brian Ethridge said:

sipembeers said:

sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

sipembeers said:

trey3216 said:

That's a great question. Thinking it hit the deck about 15 yards away and bounced. I'm about 270 from the tee and 40 yards from the fairway.

Son found the golf ball in the house and was pissed.
2nd shot of a hacker.
BaylorBear20
Good rain today for course
trey3216
BaylorBear20 said:

I live about 4 miles away and have gotten about 14 drops total.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

BaylorBear20 said:

I live about 4 miles away and have gotten about 14 drops total.

I live in tR and it barely rained here
BaylorBear20
Dang that sucks. Campus was flooded
SSadler
Back to Connallly for a minute.

Went looking for my old stompin grounds at Connally yesterday. Many of the roads have been reconfigured due to L3 and Sherwin Williams--thus my erroneous comment about being "built out." Driving from Waco, the road I drove for years is taken up by L3. If you dive in from the east (Sanderson Farms) you can get there. But you'd have to know what you're looking for and a (still) characteristice metal swing gate into the parking lot. No signage of any kind is on the back side of the clubhouse)

Gate at the parking lot is padlocked; it's tempting to crawl under and go relive some memories. Fencerows are grownn so thick it's hard to see thru. Can't really get a sense of #18 that started elevated, funneled down to one of the creek tributaries and then back up to #18 green. You can see the old #18 footbridge and the back side of the old clubhouse (??? clubhouse ?????? that it was).

A coach and I once walked 45 holes in one day. Teed of at 7 am; would stop and get a dp and a snickers candy bar at every turn and keep going. After 36 he and I walked off #18, looked at the sun (still plenty available). Coach said, "If they're not sold out of snickers and Dr. Peppers, how 'bout another 9?"

Good times.

Hob Howell
Love threads like these. It got me thinking how I would rank the courses in Waco...

1. Ridgewood - the golden standard in Waco. Some may argue the course isn't long enough. But the greens roll truer than any course between Dallas and Austin. Incredible views along the lake. Impeccable shape.

2. Cottonwood - would argue that this course has gotten much better over the past year. Above average to good marks in everything. The Par 3 course is a great warm up before the round.

3. Bear Ridge - has the potential to be the best course in Waco, but it will take time and money. I have never played a round where there weren't dead spots throughout the fairways and greens. Frustrating. But better than...

4. Battle Lake - better than Lake Waco because the greens are actually decent now. The course was bought from the city of Mart a few years ago and has steadily improved ever since. Fairways are still mainly pasture though.

5. Lake Waco - how far it has fallen...the entire course seems like a goat pasture. Greens are scarred, slow and dead. If you play it smart, you can place a drive on the edge of someone's unfenced backyard and have a better lie off their grass than the fairway...
www.linkedin.com/in/hobhowell
BaylorHistory
SSadler said:

Back to Connallly for a minute.

Went looking for my old stompin grounds at Connally yesterday. Many of the roads have been reconfigured due to L3 and Sherwin Williams--thus my erroneous comment about being "built out." Driving from Waco, the road I drove for years is taken up by L3. If you dive in from the east (Sanderson Farms) you can get there. But you'd have to know what you're looking for and a (still) characteristice metal swing gate into the parking lot. No signage of any kind is on the back side of the clubhouse)

Oh and on an unrelated note...if you drive about 1/4 a mile past the old golf course and stay left on the fork you'll pass a normal looking plot of brush that has a late model Jeep that is sitting there with all 4 doors open and the license plate removed and it's been sitting like that for a few months now. I don't want to get caught up in any cartel business.
1outawayBear
Took a while to play this morning bc someone had a heart attack on hole two at seven am tee time...scary stuff
MrGolfguy
1outawayBear said:

Took a while to play this morning bc someone had a heart attack on hole two at seven am tee time...scary stuff
What's the Bear look like now after a typical August of 100+ days and no rain? Still on an upward swing i hope.
CTbruin
Played last Monday. Miles better than it's been in a while. Tommy is really working at it.

Probably another six months away. Next spring should be good.
1outawayBear
MrGolfguy said:

1outawayBear said:

What's the Bear look like now after a typical August of 100+ days and no rain? Still on an upward swing i hope.

Greens dry in a few places but fairways etc looking great.
MrGolfguy
Good to know; there was a huge hole in the Waco golf scene when the Bear was 'down & out'.
boxster
Hob Howell said:

Love threads like these. It got me thinking how I would rank the courses in Waco...

1. Ridgewood - the golden standard in Waco. Some may argue the course isn't long enough. But the greens roll truer than any course between Dallas and Austin. Incredible views along the lake. Impeccable shape.

2. Cottonwood - would argue that this course has gotten much better over the past year. Above average to good marks in everything. The Par 3 course is a great warm up before the round.

3. Bear Ridge - has the potential to be the best course in Waco, but it will take time and money. I have never played a round where there weren't dead spots throughout the fairways and greens. Frustrating. But better than...

4. Battle Lake - better than Lake Waco because the greens are actually decent now. The course was bought from the city of Mart a few years ago and has steadily improved ever since. Fairways are still mainly pasture though.

5. Lake Waco - how far it has fallen...the entire course seems like a goat pasture. Greens are scarred, slow and dead. If you play it smart, you can place a drive on the edge of someone's unfenced backyard and have a better lie off their grass than the fairway...
With tourism at the level it is (pre/post Covid-19), and people with financial means moving to Waco for the 2nd half of their lives, it seems like there would be demand for another quality course with public access in the Waco area. There has to be some cheap land along the Brazos River to develop one relatively cost-effectively, within 20 minutes of downtown Waco up or downstream. Think Sugar Tree, or something similar. Gotta give the husbands something fun to keep them occupied while the wives are shopping downtown.
beerman
Not sure Waco could support another course. Bear Ridge, although improved, probably won't ever scare Ridgewood as far as condition. Chet Williams, who designed Whispering Pines among many other projects, is helping Tommy out with the rejuvenation, so I'm optimistic that it will at the very least become a viable second-option for me.

Cottonwood is just a great city course, def one of the best in Texas, we are lucky to have it as most city's bailed on golf 20+ years ago. I heard CW cancelled all of their fundraiser tourneys for the rest of 2020, would be ideal if Bear Ridge could take some of this on.......they can create a quick $15,000 of income for a course without a ton of overhead.
CammoTX
Anyone played Mill Creek lately? Is it in good shape?
trey3216
beerman said:

Not sure Waco could support another course. Bear Ridge, although improved, probably won't ever scare Ridgewood as far as condition. Chet Williams, who designed Whispering Pines among many other projects, is helping Tommy out with the rejuvenation, so I'm optimistic that it will at the very least become a viable second-option for me.

Cottonwood is just a great city course, def one of the best in Texas, we are lucky to have it as most city's bailed on golf 20+ years ago. I heard CW cancelled all of their fundraiser tourneys for the rest of 2020, would be ideal if Bear Ridge could take some of this on.......they can create a quick $15,000 of income for a course without a ton of overhead.
Cancelled them or not taking on any more tournaments? I haven't heard that. We have one on Oct 23rd that's been on the books since we had to re-schedule it from April.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.