Baylor Name, Monuments

2,430 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by saabing bear
DrDean
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not living in Waco tends to put me outside the loop on how events of the current American crisis are affecting Waco. Someone in the know please enlighten me as to things like the name of Baylor, the statue of Judge Baylor and any other things about the university that might be at risk.
jason_cook
The Chairman of the Board said Friday that the name of Baylor University will not change.
Redbrickbear
They are gonna produce some PC report that shows that (shocker of shocker) Baylor's leaders in the 1800s had racial views that don't line up lock step with modern liberal views in 2020.

I expect they will be like all the other cowardly school administrators in the country (cave into the pressure)....and re-name some buildings but leave the Judge Baylor statue but with some added historic plaque with some info about how he owned a few slaves and how terrible this makes white rich 60 year old Baylor regents feel bad.
GhettoHEBear
Yale University was named after a freaking slave trader. If they aren't gonna change their name then Baylor has nothing to worry about
Baylor Mafioso
Redbrickbear
GhettoHEBear said:

Yale University was named after a freaking slave trader. If they aren't gonna change their name then Baylor has nothing to worry about
Yep...pure capitalist move.

I have no doubt that if millions (billions in the case of Yale) had not been spent over the past hundred years in marketing and name recognition...the names would probably be changed as well.

Nothing more gutless than a university board. But the name change is just too expensive in simple branding terms alone.
Robert Wilson
Redbrickbear said:

GhettoHEBear said:

I have no doubt that if millions (billions in the case of Yale) had not been spend over the past hundred years in marketing and name recognition...the names would probably be changed as well.

Nothing more gutless than a university board. But the name change is just too expensive in simple branding terms alone.

They're trying to cut off the name change with this first maneuver. The main thing protecting us is Yale, Stanford, etc..

But if the cultural winds blow everyone in that direction, don't think we won't follow. We always do. We generally just come around a little later. I'm not sure what point that actually makes. We end up looking more like a slightly more stubborn version of TCU than we do a Notre Dame.
GhettoHEBear
Robert Wilson said:

Redbrickbear said:

GhettoHEBear said:

I have no doubt that if millions (billions in the case of Yale) had not been spend over the past hundred years in marketing and name recognition...the names would probably be changed as well.

They're trying to cut off the name change with this first maneuver. The main thing protecting us is Yale, Stanford, etc..

But if the cultural winds blow everyone in that direction, don't think we won't follow. We always do. We generally just come around a little later. I'm not sure what point that actually makes. We end up looking more like a slightly more stubborn version of TCU than we do a Notre Dame.
I have no doubt that if pressure became too great that the BU Board of Regents would fold like a cheap suit

I just don't think the Ivies and Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc are going to do it. Those brands are worth billions
Baylor Mafioso
Bearly Interested
GhettoHEBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Redbrickbear said:

GhettoHEBear said:

I have no doubt that if pressure became too great that the BU Board of Regents would fold like a cheap suit

I just don't think the Ivies and Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc are going to do it. Those brands are worth billions
Agree. Or, if they do cave -- could we just find some guy named Jerry Stanford and name the school after him?
Robert Wilson
Bearly Interested said:

GhettoHEBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Redbrickbear said:

GhettoHEBear said:

Agree. Or, if they do cave -- could we just find some guy named Jerry Stanford and name the school after him?
When Stanford gets forced to change their slaveholder name, we could re-name ourselves after Allen Stanford and try to steal some of that prestige.
Tiny Elvis
Nm
BaylorHistory
jason_cook said:

The Chairman of the Board said Friday that the name of Baylor University will not change.
(Don) Baylor University
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Michibear
Just change it to "BEH-lor," then all the sports announcers will pronounce it correctly.
saabing bear
We could just name it after either Don or Elgin Baylor.

Several years ago Jeff Davis Middle School in San Antonio changed to Davis Middle School and said it was named after an African American former member of the city council.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.