Hurd Welcome Center

5,140 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CammoTX
clcrash29
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this still a go to start construction soon or did the pandemic delay this for a while?
Redbrickbear
They have statues to take down and buildings to rename...that takes cash now.

Welcome center will have to take a back burner.
Michibear
I think the only construction project moving forward right now is the renovation of Tidwell since there was gift money in hand to pay for it.
Stranger
Don't forget the Tiny Arena.
Boernebear
I believe it is still a go and in the design and bid stage. I also don't think they want it to open until all the awful I-35 construction is complete adjacent to the site. I expect we will see sitework begin the first half of next year.
jason_cook
Architecture and planning work are still underway with the Hurd Welcome Center.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
jason_cook said:

Architecture and planning work are still underway with the Hurd Welcome Center.
Thanks Jason
Edmond Bear

Still like the Hurd Howdy Hut.

jbbear
Edmond Bear said:

There's a huge ugly campus just down the road that will welcome your "howdy" all day long.
boxster
Stranger said:

Feel better?
Stranger
boxster said:

Stranger said:

Feel better?

Sometimes this place needs a shot of reality. Without a full season of football and Baylor facing budget cuts across all departments I would imagine the Tiny Arena is on the back burner for a while.
Edmond Bear
jbbear said:

Edmond Bear said:

There's a huge ugly campus just down the road that will welcome your "howdy" all day long.

So, we're changing our culture to unfriendly, cryptic, and randomly angry. Got it.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Stranger said:

boxster said:

Stranger said:

Feel better?

Sometimes this place needs a shot of reality. Without a full season of football and Baylor facing budget cuts across all departments I would imagine the Tiny Arena is on the back burner for a while.
It is like the Hurd Welcome Center, in the planning stages. Also in negotiations with the areas it will be built. Does Waco want it in one of several locations or does Baylor build it next to the FC? With all the hotels going in downtown, Waco should want it near them, but I'm not on a board in Waco to make the decision or speed up their processes.
Stranger
Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

boxster said:

Stranger said:

Feel better?

It is like the Hurd Welcome Center, in the planning stages. Also in negotiations with the areas it will be built. Does Waco want it in one of several locations or does Baylor build it next to the FC? With all the hotels going in downtown, Waco should want it near them, but I'm not on a board in Waco to make the decision or speed up their processes.

Excellent idea
jbbear
Edmond Bear said:

jbbear said:

Edmond Bear said:

So, we're changing our culture to unfriendly, cryptic, and randomly angry. Got it.

What? Your response is more lame than your original post.
Yogi
Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

boxster said:

Stranger said:

Feel better?

I'm telling you, place the arena where the visitor's center is planned and call it IVY SQUARE GARDEN...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Yogi said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

boxster said:

Stranger said:

Feel better?

I'm telling you, place the arena where the visitor's center is planned and call it IVY SQUARE GARDEN...

I'd be all for it
4th and Inches
Yogi said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

boxster said:

Stranger said:

Feel better?

would there ba a Shoneys entrance on the north end and an IHOP entrance on the south?
CorsicanaBear
Would the Ivy Square Garden video board show the Rocky Horror Picture Show?
Illigitimus non carborundum
Bearlythere
Great memories of my first viewing of Brad, Janet and Tim Curry in action at the iconic Ivy Square Theater in '77.
Grumpy
Saw the movie "Glory" at the Ivy Twin in '89. Whenever someone opened the theater door the lights from the hallway dimmed the movie screen. But it was still great!
bularry
Yogi said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

boxster said:

Stranger said:

Feel better?

that would be the best
bularry
Grumpy said:

Saw the movie "Glory" at the Ivy Twin in '89. Whenever someone opened the theater door the lights from the hallway dimmed the movie screen. But it was still great!
Saw an Eddie Murphy movie there in '87, the Golden Child. I think my rommate and I were the only white people there. Good time!

Met the future Mrs. bularry at Baylor Landing
Redbrickbear
Yogi said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Stranger said:

boxster said:

Stranger said:

Feel better?

Regardless of what you would call it.

Having the new basketball stadium be in that location (right by I-35, and the freshman dorms) would be great.
NOVA Bear
Grumpy said:

Crazy. I saw Glory there in '89 also. Probably the only movie I ever saw there.
Grinnin bear
Personally, I wish they would fuse the new Welcome Center and the new Arena somehow.

My true ideal would be new basketball arena, new welcome center, new Baylor Sports Hall of Fame, new SUB, and new Baylor Bookstore all under one golden roof near 35. Could be pretty special, imo.
jbbear
Grinnin bear said:

Personally, I wish they would fuse the new Welcome Center and the new Arena somehow.

My true ideal would be new basketball arena, new welcome center, new Baylor Sports Hall of Fame, new SUB, and new Baylor Bookstore all under one golden roof near 35. Could be pretty special, imo.
Can we throw in a new bear pit while we're at it?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
plans for the basketball pavilion are also still moving forward. I heard some optimistic news on that front this week. Probably delayed a year due to COVID, but still on track.
FrankFallonCalling
Ashley Hodge said:

plans for the basketball pavilion are also still moving forward. I heard some optimistic news on that front this week. Probably delayed a year due to COVID, but still on track.
Might the news have included a hint on location?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
FrankFallonCalling said:

Ashley Hodge said:

FRO this week
FrankFallonCalling
Ashley Hodge said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Ashley Hodge said:

FRO this week
ABC BEAR
We tazed a perfectly good IHOP for this? In the future I wish the administration would be more sensitive to the needs of students who are working off a hangover before returning to campus. What if a student craves all-you-can-eat pancakes at 3:00 AM, where do they go?

CammoTX
ABC BEAR said:

We tazed a perfectly good IHOP for this? In the future I wish the administration would be more sensitive to the needs of students who are working off a hangover before returning to campus. What if a student craves all-you-can-eat pancakes at 3:00 AM, where do they go?

Czech Stop
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.