Most consecutive 100 degree days in Waco

4,828 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TechDawgMc
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
UBBY
I'll never forget 2011. I was a lifeguard that summer at the Waco Water park, man it was hot.
trey3216
UBBY said:

I'll never forget 2011. I was a lifeguard that summer at the Waco Water park, man it was hot.

There were two other streaks in 2011 that were high teens. The 44 day and 22 day streaks were broken up by a single day of 99 where we had a stray afternoon "shower" come out of nowhere for just long enough to keep it from getting 100. I think overall, there were 90+ 100 degree days that summer. Absolutely miserable.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bexar Pitts
trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

There were two other streaks in 2011 that were high teens. The 44 day and 22 day streaks were broken up by a single day of 99 where we had a stray afternoon "shower" come out of nowhere for just long enough to keep it from getting 100. I think overall, there were 90+ 100 degree days that summer. Absolutely miserable.
That was the summer we had "rolling blackouts" from the power company. The Texas grid couldn't handle the load stress, so they had to cut power by grid sections during peak heating. I recall being in a Waco HEB when a blackout occurred, and everybody was a bit taken back. HEB had to send for generators from San Antonio or risk losing huge dollars from thawing/ spoiling cold and frozen items. They made it under the wire! Remember being told not to plug in anything, even a hair dryer, that wasn't absolutely necessary. With our population growth and increasing power demand over the last 10 years, we'd probably go through the same or worse if another heat wave of that magnitude occurred.
SSadler
#2 1980 I was living in an un-airconditioned garage apartment in Fort Worth trying to finish seminary and working midnight shift as a Teamster on the Yellow Freight dock in Irving, and driving a worn out Celica with no A/C. Brutal trying to get home, driving, sweat, shower, sweat, get to class, nap during class in the AC of Seminary, etc. etc. I remember a number of 113, 112, 113 degree days.

#3 1969 I was grunting out my senior 2 aday football practice under an old school coach who believed in "only one gulp of water"--no wet towels--nothing during 2+ hours of full pads/scrimmages ended with 15-20 50 yard sprints

I think my body and brain have been dehydrated ever since.
trey3216
SSadler said:

#2 1980 I was living in an un-airconditioned garage apartment in Fort Worth trying to finish seminary and working midnight shift as a Teamster on the Yellow Freight dock in Irving, and driving a worn out Celica with no A/C. Brutal trying to get home, driving, sweat, shower, sweat, get to class, nap during class in the AC of Seminary, etc. etc. I remember a number of 113, 112, 113 degree days.

#3 1969 I was grunting out my senior 2 aday football practice under an old school coach who believed in "only one gulp of water"--no wet towels--nothing during 2+ hours of full pads/scrimmages ended with 15-20 50 yard sprints

i was born 3 weeks late on Oct 3, 1980. My mother still *****es about how awful that pregnancy was. Haha
Brian Ethridge
Staff
2011 was a beating
forza orsi
SSadler said:

1969 was hot for a long time but also had some real extremes. I was kid living in Charlotte in 1969, but I still remember getting a letter from my grandmother in Waco with a newspaper photo of the thermometer on the First Federal Savings sign registering 116 degrees. I know it wasn't that officially, but whatever the official temperature was, it was a brutal day.
forza orsi
trey3216 said:

SSadler said:

i was born 3 weeks late on Oct 3, 1980. My mother still *****es about how awful that pregnancy was. Haha

Sounds like my wife. August/September 1985 isn't on the list because there were 3 or 4 times the high dropped below 100, but there were quite a few 103-106 days. My wife was 8 months pregnant with our first daughter, teaching school in Waco ISD with no A/C. The doctor sent her home about September 7, two weeks before giving birth. He seemed to think she was nuts for being there! My daughter still hears about that at appropriate times. I don't know how many times I've heard her say "and Waco was the hot spot in the nation more than one day in that stretch."
trey3216
forza orsi said:

trey3216 said:

SSadler said:

Sounds like my wife. August/September 1985 isn't on the list because there were 3 or 4 times the high dropped below 100, but there were quite a few 103-106 days. My wife was 8 months pregnant with our first daughter, teaching school in Waco ISD with no A/C. The doctor sent her home about September 7, two weeks before giving birth. He seemed to think she was nuts for being there! My daughter still hears about that at appropriate times. I don't know how many times I've heard her say "and Waco was the hot spot in the nation more than one day in that stretch."

My poor wife is 7.5 months pregnant rt now, and this homestretch is really wearing on her. I've been sleeping in the guest bedroom or the couch for a few days now. She just can't get comfortable or cool. Guess I'm already prepped for waking up all night, because she's been waking me up 15 times/night for over a month now.

She's also back to school this week, think the kids come back next week. Luckily she'll only be with them for about 3 weeks before she has to isolate for 3 weeks prior to due date thanks to Seor Covid.
whitetrash
forza orsi said:

SSadler said:

1969 was hot for a long time but also had some real extremes. I was kid living in Charlotte in 1969, but I still remember getting a letter from my grandmother in Waco with a newspaper photo of the thermometer on the First Federal Savings sign registering 116 degrees. I know it wasn't that officially, but whatever the official temperature was, it was a brutal day.
Actual high that summer was 112 on Aug 10 I think. I was 6 and remember being downtown when the sign outside Citizens National Bank showed 119 on the thermometer.

1980 held the record for continuous heat (the 100 degree days started in early June) until 2011 blew it out of the water.
BCL79
I remember in the middle of the 1980 heat wave, weather guy puts up highs around the world .... Waco was hotter than a lot of places in north Africa and Middle East.

One night around 1am several of us had been hanging out at our apt in Village Green (out by the lake). We went out to the pool and the water was too damn hot to even think about a relaxing dip into the pool .....
UBBY
I remember in 2011 we threw blocks of ice in the 6 lane pool at the water park in the evening around 10:30 or so at night to try and cool the water off by 6:00 the next morning. It didn't work.
Robert Wilson
Ain't no 2011, but this week and the next few days gonna suck pretty bad.
LionBear
whitetrash said:

forza orsi said:

SSadler said:

Actual high that summer was 112 on Aug 10 I think. I was 6 and remember being downtown when the sign outside Citizens National Bank showed 119 on the thermometer.

1980 held the record for continuous heat (the 100 degree days started in early June) until 2011 blew it out of the water.
1980 was brutal. Worked construction that summer. Misery.
Coyote Bear
I was living in Wichita Falls in 2011. We officially had over 100 straight days of 100 degrees. It was hell.
Edmond Bear

I move my daughter into Brooks this Friday. Should I bring a fire suit?

PartyBear
An added element to the 2011 situation is that, at least by my rain gauge , we only got an inch of rain from about the beginning of April until almost October of that year.
Robert Wilson
We may not be breaking records right now but it sure does suck.
Pronto Tonto
LionBear said:

whitetrash said:

forza orsi said:

SSadler said:

1980 was brutal. Worked construction that summer. Misery.
Indeed, 1980 was awful. My summer job was working in a warehouse unloading trucks.
MrGolfguy
High of 91 today, this streak is over
HarryMehre
If I recall correctly the summer of 1979 wasn't too bad. I remember the news in September talking about it was the first summer (maybe in recorded history???) without an 100 degree day in Waco. Sure enough, around September 25th...... 100 degrees.

1980 was brutal for a lot of the country.
whitetrash
HarryMehre said:

If I recall correctly the summer of 1979 wasn't too bad. I remember the news in September talking about it was the first summer (maybe in recorded history???) without an 100 degree day in Waco. Sure enough, around September 25th...... 100 degrees.

1980 was brutal for a lot of the country.
Actually the only 100 degree day in 1979 was Oct 2, which I think was the latest 100 degree day ever (at the time).
TechDawgMc
BCL79 said:

I remember in the middle of the 1980 heat wave, weather guy puts up highs around the world .... Waco was hotter than a lot of places in north Africa and Middle East.

One night around 1am several of us had been hanging out at our apt in Village Green (out by the lake). We went out to the pool and the water was too damn hot to even think about a relaxing dip into the pool .....

I worked outside for an apartment complex that summer and then also ran my own lawn mowing service. It was unbelievably hot.

I remember that we ran water into the pool pretty much every day just to cool it off and make it feel somewhat comfortable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.