Baylor Drug store

6,882 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by auditbear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Baylor Drug
1501 South Fifth

Baylor Drug closed December, 1980 to prepare for the construction of the Bobo Spiritual Life Center.

Photo contributed by Lynda McCown .
CorsicanaBear
Was a sad day in Baylor history.
Illigitimus non carborundum
toughbear
toughbear
The place that my parents first met
CTbruin
It was an icon. Along with Pete's College Inn and Baylor Chuck Wagon.

Memories!!
Stranger
Roger Edens and his father-in-law, "Mister Penn" Pennington. Great guys, great place!
I'm a Bearbacker
Bexar Pitts
Thanks for putting that photo up! Remember Ruby? Little woman ran the food and drink counter...Robert made great ham and cheese clubs..Cut Chapel..play pinball and smoke Marlboros! And Pete was mentioned! Anybody ever "Put it on the Book? " SissyBurger French Fry ..Pick It Up! " Pinball in front! Shoot a little snooker with Willard at the "Que" next door? Sometimes it seems like yesterday..and sometimes like another life altogether..Thanks a million for the memories !
SSadler
Bexar Pitts said:

Thanks for putting that photo up! Remember Ruby? Little woman ran the food and drink counter...Robert made great ham and cheese clubs..Cut Chapel..play pinball and smoke Marlboros! And Pete was mentioned! Anybody ever "Put it on the Book? " SissyBurger French Fry ..Pick It Up! " Pinball in front! Shoot a little snooker with Willard at the "Que" next door? Sometimes it seems like yesterday..and sometimes like another life altogether..Thanks a million for the memories !
Pete Dreis of Pete's College Inn

"Chicken fried 'all - a - fries' " (Greek accent). (Could very well have played Belushi on SNL)

Open tab for those he knew from across the street ran open-ended until you could pay.

It was not a myth: in the final days before closure it was a night time date event to stroll to the closed Pete's and watch through the large front windows as the rats had run of the place.
SSadler
If you could read the paver inserts in the contrete entrance to front door of Baylor Drug it read "Hex Tex".
beardoc
SSadler said:

Bexar Pitts said:

"Chicken fried 'all - a - fries' " (Greek accent). (Could very well have played Belushi on SNL)

Open tab for those he knew from across the street ran open-ended until you could pay.

It was not a myth: in the final days before closure it was a night time date event to stroll to the closed Pete's and watch through the large front windows as the rats had run of the place.
On previous Baylor sites, there was a poster named GrillRat in honor of the above mentioned nocturnal animals. Anybody know what happened to him?
Bexar Pitts
SSadler said:

If you could read the paver inserts in the contrete entrance to front door of Baylor Drug it read "Hex Tex".
In 1970, we were in the middle of the Beall era..We played Texas one helluva game here, and only the dirt outside the goal line kept Laney Cook from turning the corner and scoring the game tying TD. He simply slipped. Game ended 21-14, with Texas on top. Mr. Edens managed to alter the Sunday Waco paper and had the headline reading "Baylor Beats Texas 21-14!" He framed it , and it hung on the wall behind the front cash register.
Mr. Edens was the ultimate Baylor Fan. and a great guy! Thanks for more great memories!
PartyBear
I think Baylor has made a mistake getting rid of these types of places. Particularly that area that used to run parallel to the 35 frontage road across from Brooks. With Common Grounds and another similar place right by that area as well, that whole area could have developed into a mini version of the Drag that borders the western border of the UT campus by now. But Baylor wanted grass there instead.
TenBears
Man I'm older than dirt and only vaguely remember the drug store. Where was Pete's?
CTbruin
notbubbleboy said:

Man I'm older than dirt and only vaguely remember the drug store. Where was Pete's?

Across from Brooks and Kokernot
TheOldRanger
I don't know how old that picture is, but it was before my time and I was at Baylor 1960-1965. There was no building next door either, and the Tidwell Bible Building was just a short ways from there. I remember studying in the library across the street, leaving my books on a work table, walking across at the intersection, getting a chocolate malt, then heading back to my research efforts. I don't know which was the worst distraction... watching some of those Baylor co-eds walking by or thinking about that malt. The campus has changed so much since my time there, that I swear I'm at a different school. My freshman class 1960 was the largest entering group in Baylor history at that time, we were 2000 strong, but 600 went home at semester break and didn't come back. We lost another 600 by the time our soph year started, and we graduated 650. I stayed on that extra year because I had 3 majors and a minor and just couldn't get it all done in 4 years. Now my dorm Kokernot has been taken over by the women, but I remember looking out my dorm window (south side) and looking at Ruth Collins Hall (about 2 blocks away). I also wondered whatever happened to old George at the Chuckwagon with his Greek accent and the pizza place across the street from Kokernot and Brooks, and George the Chinese guy who did his "eat 2 large pizzas in an hour" challenge. After the second time I won, he wouldn't let me take the challenge any longer. Mr Meyers was the Kokernot director (good family man). Sometimes it is difficult to believe that was 60 years ago. GO BEARS !!

I also remember Fred Marberry who owned the little pool hall across from Brooks. He was a major league pitcher in his day, but lost his left arm in a car accident later. It was fun chatting with him, and I often would sweep the floors just to chat with him.
Shamgar
TheOldRanger said:

I don't know how old that picture is, but it was before my time and I was at Baylor 1960-1965. There was no building next door either, and the Tidwell Bible Building was just a short ways from there. I remember studying in the library across the street, leaving my books on a work table, walking across at the intersection, getting a chocolate malt, then heading back to my research efforts. I don't know which was the worst distraction... watching some of those Baylor co-eds walking by or thinking about that malt. The campus has changed so much since my time there, that I swear I'm at a different school. My freshman class 1960 was the largest entering group in Baylor history at that time, we were 2000 strong, but 600 went home at semester break and didn't come back. We lost another 600 by the time our soph year started, and we graduated 650. I stayed on that extra year because I had 3 majors and a minor and just couldn't get it all done in 4 years. Now my dorm Kokernot has been taken over by the women, but I remember looking out my dorm window (south side) and looking at Ruth Collins Hall (about 2 blocks away). I also wondered whatever happened to old George at the Chuckwagon with his Greek accent and the pizza place across the street from Kokernot and Brooks, and George the Chinese guy who did his "eat 2 large pizzas in an hour" challenge. After the second time I won, he wouldn't let me take the challenge any longer. Mr Meyers was the Kokernot director (good family man). Sometimes it is difficult to believe that was 60 years ago. GO BEARS !!

I also remember Fred Marberry who owned the little pool hall across from Brooks. He was a major league pitcher in his day, but lost his left arm in a car accident later. It was fun chatting with him, and I often would sweep the floors just to chat with him.

Pool Hall was the Golden Cue in 73. Guy that ran it went by "Big Daddy".
william
CTbruin said:

notbubbleboy said:

Across from Brooks and Kokernot
that's chanello's.

- tbp*
POE.
4yrletterbear
I played every defensive series in that 1970 BU loss to tu.
Bexar Pitts
4yrletterbear said:

I played every defensive series in that 1970 BU loss to tu.
You guys put some bumps and bruises on UT that they didn't soon forget..Not sure anybody that year played them as tough as the Bears. You were ready. Great, great job!
Tiny Elvis
TheOldRanger said:

Fred also ran a car dealership in Mexia
Yogi
Here's the color version. I got this at an antique store in Kerrville years ago.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Bexar Pitts
Great photo...Trivia question: What former BU quarterbacks coach..and a good one.. sold insurance from the Fidelity office shown nextdoor to the Drug? You've gotta be pretty old to remember that! Edit: Quick hint....hired by Sam Boyd late 50's..stayed at BU with John Bridgers...coached Buddy Humphrey, Don Trull, and Terry Southall.....hope I didn't bore you too bad with an old geezer's trivia..Let me say I hope all of you have as many great memories of your home town and college life as I do! ..Coach Chuck Purvis was the man..IMO, one of the best QB coaches BU ever had..
ABC BEAR
The old pool hall contributed somewhat to my misspent youth, though it was a long walk from the Riverside Apartments. Couldn't pass on the $1 an hour rates and the camaraderie. Luckenbach, Texas was playing on the juke one night when someone said, "Hey, lets drive down to Luckenbach." So I did, with two guys I'd never met before.
chorne68
SSadler said:

Bexar Pitts said:

I got my parents to buy meal cards. When I needed money, they would hole punch the card and give me cash. Dead dog...pick it up.
Redbrickbear
Yogi said:

Here's the color version. I got this at an antique store in Kerrville years ago.

Obviously this is before my time Yogi.

Was Baylor drug where the new Mcmullen-Connally faculty center sits today?
CorsicanaBear
Across Speight from Carroll Library, where the Bobo Spritual Life Center is now.

Baylor Drug was a significantly better use of the space than Bobo.
SteamedHams
In December 1980, Baylor Drug closed its doors as the university began construction to change the intersection of 5th Street and Speight Avenue. Originally opened as Barnett's Pharmacy in 1926, the store was known for embodying the Baylor spirit and tradition, displaying portraits of Homecoming nominees and courts. Students often ran to Baylor Drug to have a study break at the soda fountain. It came down in 1981 to make way for what is today the Bobo Spiritual Life Center.

This is an aerial shot from 1920-1921 era. You can see the collection of buildings a little more than halfway down on the far right side (across from Carroll Library).

Redbrickbear
SteamedHams said:

This is an aerial shot from 1920-1921 era. You can see the collection of buildings a little more than halfway down on the far right side (across from Carroll Library).

Man it would have been interesting if Baylor had left the football stadium right where it was to the left of Burleson Hall (are we still allowed to call it Burleson?) and built it up over the decades.

Would be a very different game day dynamic.
SteamedHams
Redbrickbear said:

SteamedHams said:

Man it would have been interesting if Baylor had left the football stadium right where it was to the left of Burleson Hall (are we still allowed to call it Burleson?) and built it up over the decades.

Was our baseball, football, and track stadium. Good use of the space, that's for sure.

Redbrickbear
SteamedHams said:

Redbrickbear said:

SteamedHams said:

Was our baseball, football, and track stadium. Good use of the space, that's for sure.

Love it....I know there was probably not enough space but man I wish they had left it in that location.
Greenboy232
Several have mentioned pinball at the drug store. It was before my time at Baylor, but today I collect, restore and sell vintage pinball machines as a hobby. Curious if any old timers remember any of the game titles they had?
WacoKelly83
My memories of the Baylor Drugstore are of Saturdays at Tidwell hanging with my dad while he caught up on paperwork. I would inevitable tire of running up and down the hallways and beg Dad for some snack money. Being a normal 10 year old, I would take the money and buy the latest edition of Aggie Jokes or Son of Aggie Jokes at the Drugstore. This was late 60's early 70's.
Moondoggie
Grew up in church with Roger and Penny

edens( owners). A nicer couple you could not meet, and I miss them. Thanks for starting this thread so I could remember them.
BCL79
SteamedHams said:

Redbrickbear said:

SteamedHams said:

WOW, I've never seen these pictures! Also, finally I understand exactly where Minglewood Bowl was situated.

From my time at BU, '75 thru '79, I also remember just across and down 5th from Baylor Drug .... Baylor Records. I also had many meals at Pete's College Inn. Loved Pete and I also helped support him further by being a tenant of his for about 3 years. He owned a lot of property around 9th St.
insurancebear
Are you referring to Pete Dris?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.