Proposal for large development in Lorena

4,067 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Coke Bear
Bearicade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jdt797TmbVKHuExFen7GNM9RqzXw2oAt/view?fbclid=IwAR1IcdDFFTvD2srXlK_KahwmGBUUiVT2jlzfZMDuUNCbvwkPHxwonBZcfjA
UBBY
That woul be a bigtime development for Lorena. How much would it cost?
Bearicade
UBBY said:

That woul be a bigtime development for Lorena. How much would it cost?
No idea, but Rick Sheldon is behind it.
geewago
Lorena fixing to be the next Hewitt. I used to harvest wheat all over the Hewitt area where you now see The School and all the restaurants. Red Maddox had nearly every field leased around there. If they develop this area I will be able to say the same. We were harvesting the field right behind the lodge and the Church of Christ one time and ran into some mighty big marijuana plants that had been planted all the the way through the big draw that runs through the middle of the field. Somebody lost some big money there.
Grimm
Are they going to be stupid little tiny lots like the rest of the new developments?
ABC BEAR
Lorena is certainly being thrust into the big time. What they need now is a Buc-ee's and a superconducting super-collider coming to town.
s
BaylorHistory
Grimm said:

Are they going to be stupid little tiny lots like the rest of the new developments?

I hate that
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Damn Geewago. That explains a lot.

Just joking. I hauled hay several summers also on fields that are now developed.
i remember finding little plots of weed back on the trails between Woodway and the lake. The general area was called the N_____ Church Trails. Anyone remember trying to ride their motorcycle up Vulture Hill?
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
PartyBear
That is nice. It really is. But serious question. What is going to fuel this transformation of tiny rural town to large suburban area? Rapidly I mean. Is something expected to cause Lorena to suddenly boom from a population of about 1800 to about 40,000 or so? It took Woodway/Hewitt about 40-45 years to become what it is now.
geewago
I suspect that my great grand kids will see the day that one can drive from the Red River to San Antonio and never see a corn field or a pasture with cows. It will be one big 400 mile city. The only way you'll know what town you're in is when you see a sign.
PartyBear
I don't know how old you are but that may be the case 35 years. I'm trying to figure out the demand for all of this plan above for Lorena in the immediate future.
4th and Inches
Grimm said:

very likely yes... every developer will use economy of scale. The more houses per acre, the more money they make...
Volunteer
I can't imagine that this happen. At least not in the next 10-15 years.
Sachimo
Broke Amigo
With the City of Waco on the verge of implementing impact fees this is going to push the new developments to outlying cities. The City of Waco is proposing a water, sewer, and roadway impact fee on new developments.

The timing for this proposed development is right in step with the impact fees the City of Waco is trying to get passed thru council next month.
sipembeers
Broke Amigo said:

With the City of Waco on the verge of implementing impact fees this is going to push the new developments to outlying cities. The City of Waco is proposing a water, sewer, and roadway impact fee on new developments.

The timing for this proposed development is right in step with the impact fees the City of Waco is trying to get passed thru council next month.

Thank goodness. Will hopefully slow the growth on China spring.
CorsicanaBear
Need more growth in retail in CS. Especially need a new HEB in that direction. Better yet would be somebody to compete with HEB (kroger, whoever).

Illigitimus non carborundum
Weston Rogers
CorsicanaBear said:

Need more growth in retail in CS. Especially need a new HEB in that direction. Better yet would be somebody to compete with HEB (kroger, whoever).

Kroger and other large national chains won't touch the Waco market... Brookshire's and Brookshire Brothers are scared of doing anything around CS because HEB owns the land at 19th and Lakeshore. That shopping center is now 100% vacant and no longer taking leases so who knows HEB could be getting ready to do something there or they're just doing what they do most of the time. Sit on the land and keep comp at bay.
BaylorHistory
CorsicanaBear said:

I wish we'd get a higher end grocery, but I doubt we could support it.
Coke Bear
Weston Rogers said:

Kroger and other large national chains won't touch the Waco market... Brookshire's and Brookshire Brothers are scared of doing anything around CS because HEB owns the land at 19th and Lakeshore. That shopping center is now 100% vacant and no longer taking leases so who knows HEB could be getting ready to do something there or they're just doing what they do most of the time. Sit on the land and keep comp at bay.
This. HEB's hollow promises about building in the CS area that have echoed for years is keeping Brookshire's and his's Brother's from building there. It's a disservice the people in the area.
sipembeers
CorsicanaBear said:

We need commercial/industrial growth for an increased tax basis. School district will start to go down hill if it is only roof tops to fund the schools. We are fully occupied in both the elementary and intermediate schools now.
Coke Bear
sipembeers said:

CorsicanaBear said:

We need commercial/industrial growth for an increased tax basis. School district will start to go down hill if it is only roof tops to fund the schools. We are fully occupied in both the elementary and intermediate schools now.
I believe that you're referring to CS; however, this is how I feel about Lorena. We've got two sketch convenience stores, three jankety antique shops, a Sonic, a Bushes (that rarely helps the community) and a so-called Tex Mex joint that's adequate at best.

The development listed in the OP shows that they put a great deal of time, effort and money into it. Sadly, that vision is 20 years away unless Lorena can attract some type of industry to the area to give them the tax dollars that we need.

How they performed so well in high school sports over the last 10 years as the smallest school in the district is a mystery to me.
trey3216
Coke Bear said:

sipembeers said:

CorsicanaBear said:

I believe that you're referring to CS; however, this is how I feel about Lorena. We've got two sketch convenience stores, three jankety antique shops, a Sonic, a Bushes (that rarely helps the community) and a so-called Tex Mex joint that's adequate at best.

The development listed in the OP shows that they put a great deal of time, effort and money into it. Sadly, that vision is 20 years away unless Lorena can attract some type of industry to the area to give them the tax dollars that we need.

How they performed so well in high school sports over the last 10 years as the smallest school in the district is a mystery to me.

Yep. Lorena will turn in to Robinson 2.0.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

sipembeers said:

CorsicanaBear said:

They'll never be as good as Robinson...they may dream to one day be as good as the blue and white.
trey3216
BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

sipembeers said:

CorsicanaBear said:

They'll never be as good as Robinson...they may dream to one day be as good as the blue and white.

Their roads say otherwise
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

BaylorHistory said:

trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

sipembeers said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Their roads say otherwise
Roads are unnecessary when you have a giant phallic monument to science. I do remember when playing Lorena in basketball they had some sort of bouncy gym room in the junior high. That was pretty cool.
Showtime
What do you mean by this? Not really familiar with Robinson.
trey3216
Showtime said:

Robinson has very little commercial businesses, some of the highest property tax rates around, and they have horrific road infrastructure. It's almost Louisiana bad.
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

Showtime said:

Robinson has very little commercial businesses, some of the highest property tax rates around, and they have horrific road infrastructure. It's almost Louisiana bad.

He's not kidding. The roads are incredibly bad.
Michibear
Just looked at the plans. Mike and Chris dropped the ball with their part of the project.

Looks like lots of tiny lots with big houses and no yards.
beerman
Some of the biggest deer in a 200 square mile area reside in and around Lorena......it's amazing.

Lorena needs huge investment in city services (water and sewer) to really grow. I am not in Lorena but my friends kind of like it the way it is now.
Hob Howell
Coke Bear said:

sipembeers said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Lorena Leopards > everyone else
Yogi
Lorena was never the smallest school in that district. Mexia, Salado, and Fairfield had smaller attendance in 2018. Lorena somehow lost 75 students between 2019 and 2020.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
Lorena is going to grow. Bell County is growing at a much faster pace than McLennan and Lorena is going to feed off both metros.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
CorsicanaBear
Waco's outrageous Impact Fees in its ETJ are going to drive developers to Lorena, Robinson and Hewitt.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.