Waco Restaurants - Best Student Cheap Eats

5,465 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1outawayBear
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for best of the best here.

Cupps? Shorty's? Someone have a weekly special that students should know about?
Stranger
Pete's Hamburger Inn on Speight- five hamburgers for a dollar on Sunday night.

El Chico on the Circle- cheese enchilada dinner for 95 cents on Wednesday night

KuKu Burger on 8th across from Collins Hall- 19 cent hamburgers every day.

The Black An(g)us on the Circle- Hungry BearSpecial. Half-price club steak on Sunday night.

Or at least that's the way I remember it . . .
I'm a Bearbacker
CammoTX
Treff's used to have $2 Tuesdays...
SSadler
Stranger, my introduction to the El Chico special, circa 1967, had the Wednesday special at $1.25. Urban myth had one BU guy as going regularly and when asked if he wanted the special his response was "I'll take TWO, thank you."

I got no hard evidence on that.

Highplains might.

Stranger
SSadler said:

Stranger, my introduction to the El Chico special, circa 1967, had the Wednesday special at $1.25. Urban myth had one BU guy as going regularly and when asked if he wanted the special his response was "I'll take TWO, thank you."

Highplains might.

My ownself and my friends would keep requesting the free chips and hot sauce. Finally after about four baskets the waitress would stop and demand, "are you boys going to order anything or just eat the free goods all night?". At that point we'd order the enchilada special.
I'm a Bearbacker
forza orsi
Not at all claiming that any of this is great, but for the money:

Lunch specials at Valles on Valley Mills.
Tom's Burgers on Sanger.
Food for Thought on Speight.
George's lunch specials
Bari's lunch specials. As far as I'm concerned on quality, meh... but it's cheap.
NashvilleBear
2 breakfast tacos and water to drink at Lolitas is about 5$!
trey3216
Good list so far. Shorty's 14" single topping on Sunday is $6. Georges lunch special with water is $7.00ish. Taco Tuesday at Rosa's (if you can stand waiting in line).

Krispy Chicken on Franklin you can get a 2 piece w/fries and a roll for $6.50, including tax (cash only. I always get a breast and a thigh, can barely eat all of it).
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
SSadler
Stranger said:

SSadler said:

Highplains might.

My ownself and my friends would keep requesting the free chips and hot sauce. Finally after about four baskets the waitress would stop and demand, "are you boys going to order anything or just eat the free goods all night?". At that point we'd order the enchilada special.
Solid strah-tee-ger-y!
1outawayBear
cupps breakfast is 5.95 for eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast.
BaylorHistory
Taco Casa has 1,000 calories worth of bean burrito for under $3, iirc.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Fat Daddy
Monterey House on Valley Mills Student Special

What do you mean it's not there anymore???? When did that happen????? Geez....
Old300Bear
Stranger said:

Pete's Hamburger Inn on Speight- five hamburgers for a dollar on Sunday night.

El Chico on the Circle- cheese enchilada dinner for 95 cents on Wednesday night

KuKu Burger on 8th across from Collins Hall- 19 cent hamburgers every day.

The Black An(g)us on the Circle- Hungry BearSpecial. Half-price club steak on Sunday night.

Or at least that's the way I remember it . . .

For the entirety of my Senior year the G was burned out in the sign. Will always be the name I think of. Sunday night Baylor Special was good.
Fred Barber
GeorgesBigO
George's has Wing Wednesday with half-price wing baskets
baylor88bear
Jess Radles was excellent. Never more than $5
Yogi
So, this is just another Denny's moment for me, but please tell me why a Waffle House wouldn't do great business across from Baylor University?

I've always been curious how WH hasn't worked its way into the Waco market, yet. They have locations in Dallas and Austin, so it seems like next to Bryan/ College Station, Waco would be the ideal expansion point for WH once the election passes and the pandemic with it...

The closest location to Waco is about 65 miles right now in Waxahachie.

Yeah, it's crap, but if you haven't been there in a long time, you kind of miss the place.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Edmond Bear

My old roommate used to bring home IHOP waitresses. Awful House waitresses would be a whole other level.

Gobearsone
Fat Daddy said:

Monterey House on Valley Mills Student Special

What do you mean it's not there anymore???? When did that happen????? Geez....

Wife and I first date about 41 years ago. Yes I was cheap and poor. We liked their enchilada plate.
BaylorHistory
Edmond Bear said:

My old roommate used to bring home IHOP waitresses. Awful House waitresses would be a whole other level.

Crickethop next to Penland?
Edmond Bear
BaylorHistory said:

Edmond Bear said:

The one and the same.
BaylorHistory
Edmond Bear said:

BaylorHistory said:

Edmond Bear said:

The one and the same.

Tragic that they removed that location and they remodeled Penland. These kids don't know what it was like stumbling over from your bathroom looking room at Penland at 4AM to get a chicken fried steak and a short stack after a night of "studying".
Fat Daddy
Before there was IHOP, there was Denny's .... could always meet interesting people there at those wee hours!!
Bexar Pitts
Fat Daddy said:

Before there was IHOP, there was Denny's .... could always meet interesting people there at those wee hours!!
And before there was Denny's, there was The Italian Village and the Toddle House! (Only dinosaurs will remember those fine establishments!)
Stranger
Bexar Pitts said:

Fat Daddy said:

And before there was Denny's, there was The Italian Village and the Toddle House! (Only dinosaurs will remember those fine establishments!)

We used to hit the IV about 2 in the morning and order the chili mac and watch drunk cowboys fight.
I'm a Bearbacker
Bexar Pitts
Stranger said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Fat Daddy said:

We used to hit the IV about 2 in the morning and order the chili mac and watch drunk cowboys fight.
Yep. Prime Time in the IV was post Midnight . You could get in more trouble there than the beer joint ( or other social gathering) from whence you emanated !
Stranger
Bexar Pitts said:

Stranger said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Fat Daddy said:

Yep. Prime Time in the IV was post Midnight . You could get in more trouble there than the beer joint ( or other social gathering) from whence you emanated !

Spoken like Brother Dave.

And don't forget Little Johns on deep La Salle.
I'm a Bearbacker
WacoKelly83
GeorgesBigO said:

George's has Wing Wednesday with half-price wing baskets

The Hewitt location does not offer the crazy wing special or any other nightly specials til further notice. Lunch specials are still available.
Yogi
Edmond Bear said:

Apparently, you have never tried Denny's...
Yogi
Bexar Pitts said:

Fat Daddy said:

And in the middle? There was Tanglewood Farms, my friends!!!
baylor88bear
Yogi said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Fat Daddy said:

And in the middle? There was Tanglewood Farms, my friends!!!

My parents came to Waco one weekend and took me to breakfast at Tanglewood Farms. Right as about we were to walk in a fraternity brother of mine who lived in Waco Park apartments yells out my name. Problem is he is only wearing a towel! Thankfully the towel did not fall off. My dad says " damn I wish I had gone to college! I would have yelled out if that was me too!" Would have been fun to scare the heck out of I 35 I cannot ever thank my parents enough for allowing me to go to Baylor. A great experience on so many levels!
historian
Health Camp is great: burgers are good, fries/onion rings are very good, & the shakes are excellent.
Fat Daddy
historian said:

Health Camp is great: burgers are good, fries/onion rings are very good, & the shakes are excellent.

All true back in the mid '70's!!!
historian
And in 2020.
1outawayBear
historian said:

And in 2020.

I still go once or twice a month for lunch, and agree but the frito pies have significantly declined in last decade
historian
I've never tried the Frito Pies so I'll have to take your word for it. I only get to go when I'm in town for a football or basketball game.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.