Just read that all Regal Theaters are closed for good.

2,149 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Hob Howell
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I believe Regal is the big theater on Franklin and VM.
BylrFan
That's AMC. Regal is the one off 84 in woodway
gobears20
Staff
BaylorHistory
Kind of worked itself out with AMC, Hippodrome, and Cinemark (still coming?).
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Stranger
Movie theaters, like the hula hoop, are relics of the past.

No new movies made this year and the 'rona have killed the dang things. I wouldn't bet the ranch on the new Cinemark ones ever opening up
I'm a Bearbacker
CorsicanaBear
My plan is to never ever go to a movie theatre again and that has been the case for the last 3 years or so. Has nothing to do with COVID but theaters' lack of utility to me. 99.9% (an approximation) of movies I don't want to see ever see because I have no interest whatever in them. The very tiny remaining group I can wait the 6-18 months before they show up on various streaming services. A movie is not a live event and it's the same if you see it now or later. My home theatre set up is sufficient for my viewing requirements.

Horse drawn carriages did not long survive the introduction of automobiles except as novelty attractions. The same was true of live theater and the introduction of movies (it is instructive that in most towns, live theater can only exist as a charitable institution). The same will be true of movie theaters and the introduction of home theaters and on demand streaming.

Ultimately COVID will not have killed the movie theatre, it will merely be the coup de grace for an already mortally wounded industry.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Bexar Pitts
Stranger said:

No new movies made this year and the 'rona have killed the dang things. I wouldn't bet the ranch on the new Cinemark ones ever opening up
Roger that, Stranger. 'Rona has done to walk in movies what Daylight Savings Time did to the Drive-Ins.
BaylorHistory
CorsicanaBear said:

My plan is to never ever go to a movie theatre again
I love going to the movies. The excitement of turning off for a couple hours, the smell and taste of the overpriced popcorn, the drinks that are entirely too large for 1 human to consume.

The problem I find is that most of the movies I want to see end up only playing in Dallas or Austin making us drive down which isn't usually worth it.

I'm pretty sure they rely on teenagers to survive and I have no idea if that market is still interested in going to the movies. I would assume there will always be a market for a dark spot for teenagers to get into trouble without the parents knowing.
Bear8084
Going to the movies is still a great escape and experience for me and many others. To say it's a dying industry is ignoring that before COVID, it was having record years of income and ticket sales. Then COVID happened and theaters and studios stopped being open and showing and making movies. That would seriously dampen or kill any industry. I think it survives as a whole, but it's going to take awhile to recover. Some big chains will make it, some won't and you will probably see smaller chains do better with alternative screenings of older movies like Alamo Drafthouse does. Some of the bigger theaters have started to do that. The major studios has really put a damper on the theaters by delaying blockbusters until 2021.

I read that a good handful of big chains have enough saved up to last until 2021, so hopefully the studios will start releasing then.
Bexar Pitts
Bear8084 said:

Going to the movies is still a great escape and experience for me and many others. To say it's a dying industry is ignoring that before COVID, it was having record years of income and ticket sales. Then COVID happened and theaters and studios stopped being open and showing and making movies. That would seriously dampen or kill any industry. I think it survives as a whole, but it's going to take awhile to recover. Some big chains will make it, some won't and you will probably see smaller chains do better with alternative screenings of older movies like Alamo Drafthouse does. Some of the bigger theaters have started to do that. The major studios has really put a damper on the theaters by delaying blockbusters until 2021.

I read that a good handful of big chains have enough saved up to last until 2021, so hopefully the studios will start releasing then.
I surely hope you're right, 8084. I grew up loving the Movies..still do. "Going to the Show" is about as American as it gets...Having said that, I agree with your statement that it's going to take awhile to recover. That's where I have great concerns. I think it will be a long time before many folks go to ANY indoor entertainment venue for 2 or more hours. At least in numbers large enough to make it profitable for the venue. BTW...I also loved the Drive-Ins...Guess I should be glad they can show indoors before the sun goes down! I just pray this Pandemic can/will be beaten down by science in a reasonably short time frame...And then we wait for the next one...
STxBear81
Hollywood supports Antifa/BLM
i do not.
Bear8084
Bexar Pitts said:

Bear8084 said:

I surely hope you're right, 8084. I grew up loving the Movies..still do. "Going to the Show" is about as American as it gets...Having said that, I agree with your statement that it's going to take awhile to recover. That's where I have great concerns. I think it will be a long time before many folks go to ANY indoor entertainment venue for 2 or more hours. At least in numbers large enough to make it profitable for the venue. BTW...I also loved the Drive-Ins...Guess I should be glad they can show indoors before the sun goes down! I just pray this Pandemic can/will be beaten down by science in a reasonably short time frame...And then we wait for the next one...

I agree wholeheartedly. I still get a little rush of excitement going to the movies to see something I know is going to be good. My last movie was Uncut Gems, and was a great experience. You can practically feel the sweat coming off Sandler's face. Nothing beats seeing a great film on the big screen. Like you said, it's pure Americana at it's best. And I am with you, I am praying and hoping this pandemic runs it's course soon (God bless those working to make that happen), and things like movies and other indoor venues open back up to some normalcy again.
BaylorHistory
BornAgain said:

Hollywood supports Antifa/BLM
i do not.
So pretty much down to eating Chick-fil-A while building model ships from Hobby Lobby, eh?

Doesn't sound too bad actually.
STxBear81
Almost. the making of movies and the message most movies bring are really amazing. what turns me off is when the movie stars and Sports legends start spewing their hatred for this country when this country has been good to them. Its one thing to be self destructive and have nothing (deserved) and then working to recover and amass something for yourself without handouts (also deserved) vs having nothing and getting everything for free because you dont want to put forth the effort(undeserved)
Wichitabear
Stranger said:

depressing
Wichitabear
BornAgain said:

Almost. the making of movies and the message most movies bring are really amazing. what turns me off is when the movie stars and Sports legends start spewing their hatred for this country when this country has been good to them. Its one thing to be self destructive and have nothing (deserved) and then working to recover and amass something for yourself without handouts (also deserved) vs having nothing and getting everything for free because you dont want to put forth the effort(undeserved)
so agree with this. Just hate the way things have turned out. There goes the popcorn I soo enjoyed. Lol
Coke Bear
I think that I go to the movies for the popcorn as much as I do for the actual movie. My wife and I meet at BU while working at a video store. We've been watching movies together for nearly 30 years (man, I'm old).

In my pursuit of movie theater quality popcorn, I've purchased a new oil popcorn popper, Dutchman's butter-flavored coconut oil, mushroom popcorn kernels, and Kernel Season's movie-theater butter flavor oil-blend and flavored season.

The coconut oil and movie-theater "butter" are correct. The seasoning is OK. I need to find a more commercial one. While the mushroom kernels are amazing in their size, I'm not sure that they match what the theaters use.

My final steps in this stupid pursuit of movie popcorn will be to buy a better popper that dumps the popped corn and to purchase Flavacol made by Gold Metal. This is the seasoning used when cooking the popcorn.

I still love going to the movies. I love getting lost in the previews often forgetting what I came to see.

I saw Tenet a few weeks back. I loved the social distance protocols to keep the theater partially full.
CorsicanaBear
I guess I am insufficiently enamored with popcorn to make movie theaters useful to me. But for those that are sufficiently enamored of movie popcorn to make it a reason to go, or for any other reason, I hope theaters stay around forever.

Illigitimus non carborundum
SSadler
I'm a big Russel Crowe fan.

I'll be taking in his UNHINGED this weekend (and hoping to get some at-least reasonably fresh movie popcorn at AMC.

Hob Howell
Just stumbled across this and the news is hitting me like a sack of bricks.

Dang. Good memories at that theatre.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.