Question about Waco Zoo Elephant death

1,876 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yogi
SSadler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waco Trib today runs a story about a favorite Waco Zoo Elephant's death.

Question: How does a zoo and a city like Waco dispose of a dead elephant ?

Are there such things as "elephant cemeteries"? If cremated, where is a crematory facility that large?

This 'rona virus and social limitations has me bored, and so I find myself with questions such as this occupying my time.

I know; I've got "boredom issues" (among others)
Nguyen One Soon
I'm guessing they called in a couple of heavy equipment operators from other City departments. Either that, or the zoo expanded its vulture collection by a few thousand birds.
CorsicanaBear
Elephant steaks for the lions, hyenas etc. Circle of life. Saw it in a movie.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Lund Vernquist
CorsicanaBear said:

Elephant steaks for the lions, hyenas etc. Circle of life. Saw it in a movie.
I imagine this is it. Growing up when we lost one of our horses to old age, we took their fresh carcasses to the Dallas Zoo for the big cats.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Likely harvested the skin for apparel, then the rest could be used to feed other animals for weeks/months?
BaylorHistory
Nguyen One Soon said:

I'm guessing they called in a couple of heavy equipment operators from other City departments. Either that, or the zoo expanded its vulture collection by a few thousand birds.
I'm not sure the laws of physics would allow for more vultures in a single area.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
jbbear
Put in the trunk???
T-REX
Turn it into my next pair of boots from City Rach Boot Co. Love my baylor elephant boots so why not get a 2nd pair lol
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Sampi82
A former customer of mine went on an elephant hunting trip in Africa and after killing one, many locals seemed to turn up out of nowhere. They butchered the elephant within a very short period of time hauling the meat away leaving nothing but bones. My customer kept the elephant's feet and making foot rests out of them.

I formally had a pair of elephant boots I wore everywhere. Had them resoled at least a couple of times but were finally retired. One of the best pair of boots I've worn.
“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
Big12Bear
Sampi82 said:

I formally had a pair of elephant boots I wore everywhere. Had them resoled at least a couple of times but were finally retired. One of the best pair of boots I've worn.

Extremely durable too.
Bear8084
Brian Ethridge said:

Likely harvested the skin for apparel, then the rest could be used to feed other animals for weeks/months?

Twisted Root is gonna have some crazy burgers on the menu soon.
T-REX
Big12Bear said:

Sampi82 said:

Extremely durable too.
love mine
SSadler
Having field dressed and later skinned white tail deer (and one North American black bear) in a time long ago, I'd pay a good ticket cost to observe an animal the size of an elephant being processed.

Not morbidity; just curiosity.

I know, I'm weird, but it's all apart of the wonder of Creation, and I'd love to have been able to see it.
Yogi
Not sure now that Campeche Bakery has closed.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.