New building under construction next to HOT Colisem

2,586 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Nguyen One Soon
Pea Weevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is it going to be?

Pea Weevil
MrGolfguy
They're calling it a multi purpose building. Go figure.
whitetrash
Replaced the old exhibits building, which hadn't seen much updating since the mid 50s.
JDGorham
I think it also is built to host indoor sporting events - basketball, etc..
Bear8084
JDGorham said:

Sooooooooo...when are the Waco Wizards coming back?
SSadler
Bear8084 said:

JDGorham said:

As soon as a Commish can be found to write rules for "slush" hockey
BaylorGuy314
https://www.extracoeventscenter.com/p/about/expansion

STxBear81
I saw Jim Haller over there with a hard hat directing traffic
Bear Doc
This is the secret location of the Tiny Arena.
Redbrickbear
Bear Doc said:

This is the secret location of the Tiny Arena.
So we are going back to HOT.

"Return to Tradition"
Yogi
You can host a ton of basketball tournaments/ volleyball tournaments in the new place.

But, I say, LET'S BRING BACK AUTORAMA!!!! Kick ass cars, the Batmobile, the General Lee and Miss September!!!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
SSadler
Wrasslin'

I saw Wrasslin' at the end of that preview !!!

BaylorHistory
Bear8084 said:

JDGorham said:

Please stop getting my hopes up.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Yogi
Bear8084 said:

JDGorham said:

Billy Pie!!!!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
sipembeers
The goal is to host select basketball and volleyball tournaments, with additional events that a convention center would hold. I believe that they have already agreed to terms with TAPPS for state volleyball and basketball tournaments to be held there as well.

Will be big for the first scenario if they can get the hotel in the second phase to attract the top talent from Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Waco for tournaments here.

My daughter plays select volleyball and we have to travel to all of those cities because they have enough teams to hosts tourneys in their respective cities. If this goes well, we can be the meeting point for the top teams from all of those areas.
CorsicanaBear
I cannot imagine there is enough revenue in the proposed uses for the improvements to pay the OPEX of the facility much less recoup the CAPEX.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Nguyen One Soon
CorsicanaBear said:

I cannot imagine there is enough revenue in the proposed uses for the improvements to pay the OPEX of the facility much less recoup the CAPEX.
That's the advantage of a building like this being government owned. It should function like a convention center. You don't try to lose money, but the number of people you draw into town, especially for overnight trips, is actually more important than your bottom line.
CorsicanaBear

Quote:

number of people you draw into town, especially for overnight trips, is actually more important than your bottom line.
So, I pay the taxes to build it and cover the net operating loss it generates while the guys that run the hotels and restaurants make the money. Hell of a deal.
sipembeers
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

number of people you draw into town, especially for overnight trips, is actually more important than your bottom line.
So, I pay the taxes to build it and cover the net operating loss it generates while the guys that run the hotels and restaurants make the money. Hell of a deal.

No, this what was being proposed and now being built with the hotel tax that passed two years ago. McLennan county residents aren't footing this bill. Folks coming to magnolia and Baylor sporting events staying in hotels/Airbnb's are footing the bill.
CorsicanaBear
So the out-of-towners, who didn't get to vote get taxed for it. I've expressed before when talking about Jerry World or other boondoggles like this that taxing others for things you want is not right. It does not always work out that way either. The county is on the hook still if revenue from those taxes falls short and they'll be looking to me.

If you have to tax people to make an entertainment facility work (not streets, not water, not sewer systems) then there is a problem.

Panem et circenses.
Nguyen One Soon
Yes, the non-voting out of towners get taxed for it, just like when I go just about anywhere. But localities, in this case the county, benefit from tourism. It doesn't matter if that tourism is based on scenery, entertainment, or it his case, events. It leads to more hotels and restaurants, both of which help the local economy and provide more tax dollars.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.