Nightlight Donuts Now Open

7,621 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bexar Pitts
Fat Daddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Opened earlier this week, rolling out a few menu items each day, capping it off with their grand opening yesterday!

Stopped by earlier for my first experience. Honestly wasn't prepared for a $3 donut .... or save a buck and get two for $5.... yep, $30 a dozen.

How many folks will be taking a few dozen to the office on Friday's to share with co-workers?
PartyBear
Is that the place at 340 and 84?

30.00 for a dozen? Is this a chain? I like cool trendy things coming to Waco but I don't see a donut place with those prices lasting that long here. Possibly it could downtown if and or when it comes back like pre Covid. I could get a nice steak dinner for less than that.
BaylorBear20
It's pretty good. Not good for office though. Good to take a girl for coffee and donut after church.
Fat Daddy
Yes ... 84 and 6
ImwithBU
Greasy donuts, not impressed at all. The wife loved it. The kid said it was yucky, I had to agree
TenBears
Local kids. Pay a couple of extra bucks and support a couple of young entrepreneurs. F the Big Donut industry.
NashvilleBear
They're really more of a "cro-nut"; a cross between a croissant and a donut.
trey3216
Yes, they're croissant donuts. They're very good in my opinion and have grown from a small food truck locating outside the bars at night and the businesses in the morning. They're more of a buy one or two for dessert type place than buying a dozen for the office type place. Some folks just don't understand how things can be different and still be successful. We want nice things in Waco but we don't get them because people don't understand how nice things work.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bear Doc
We tried them the other night. I think if you really liked croissants, you would like their cro-nuts. They were quite greasy. My wife commented that the cinnamon sugar one tasted like an expensive sopapilla. To each their own I suppose. We probably won't be back for the pastries at least. The coffee was good though.

Another issue they have is they really needed more land than what they have to run a drive-thru operation. Maybe all of that will work itself out when there are less people trying them out, but right now it is a bit of a cluster especially with the DiCampli's crowd right there too in the evenings.
Bexar Pitts
trey3216 said:

Yes, they're croissant donuts. They're very good in my opinion and have grown from a small food truck locating outside the bars at night and the businesses in the morning. They're more of a buy one or two for dessert type place than buying a dozen for the office type place. Some folks just don't understand how things can be different and still be successful. We want nice things in Waco but we don't get them because people don't understand how nice things work.
I think most employers want their employees to have " nice things." If I was still in the workforce, would you suggest that I ask my company for a raise so that I might afford the " nice things" in life? ;-) Businesses understand that Waco has been statistically one of the poorest cities of 100K residents in the state. It is getting better recently, but I'd guess our wages are still low. Hope that changes, and we ALL can experience the things you reference. ( Haves/ Have Nots....that's Waco's history...not necessarily it's future)
trey3216
Bexar Pitts said:

trey3216 said:

I think most employers want their employees to have " nice things." If I was still in the workforce, would you suggest that I ask my company for a raise so that I might afford the " nice things" in life? ;-) Businesses understand that Waco has been statistically one of the poorest cities of 100K residents in the state. It is getting better recently, but I'd guess our wages are still low. Hope that changes, and we ALL can experience the things you reference. ( Haves/ Have Nots....that's Waco's history...not necessarily it's future)

I'm talking about how Wacoans complain about not gettting this or that for restaurants a few years back. Then we get a cool place and it goes belly up because they didn't get 3 lbs of salty, greasy food for $6 like you can get at Cheddar's. Thank God it's been slowly changing for the better. I'm saying we need to support places like this, because they are good and they are different. Sometimes you don't need a dozen donuts to feed the family either. Perspective is a big deal.
Bexar Pitts
trey3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

trey3216 said:

I'm talking about how Wacoans complain about not gettting this or that for restaurants a few years back. Then we get a cool place and it goes belly up because they didn't get 3 lbs of salty, greasy food for $6 like you can get at Cheddar's. Thank God it's been slowly changing for the better. I'm saying we need to support places like this, because they are good and they are different. Sometimes you don't need a dozen donuts to feed the family either. Perspective is a big deal.
"Perspective is a big deal" Copy that 5x5 ,amigo. You said a mouthful with that statement! I've got over 7 decades of it.... Still learnin'......Wondering what I'm gonna be when I grow up. :-)
TenBears
Again. A couple of hometown 20 somethings trying something new in a town that desperately needs that type. Keep giving them bad reviews and the line at Shipleys for a couple of you to get you 4 dozen donuts you apparently need will be even longer!
ImwithBU
notbubbleboy said:

Again. A couple of hometown 20 somethings trying something new in a town that desperately needs that type. Keep giving them bad reviews and the line at Shipleys for a couple of you to get you 4 dozen donuts you apparently need will be even longer!

Who gives a **** if they are local. The donuts are greasy, that's my opinion. My wife bought them from the food truck often and then we went to the brick and mortar. Same results, wife like them, too damn greasy for me. She will likely continue to go, I won't. They are a nice alternative for those that won't a late night snack. I'm not going to change my review just because they are local. **** doesn't get nbettwr by making people think their product is perfect
trey3216
ImwithBU said:

notbubbleboy said:

Who gives a **** if they are local. The donuts are greasy, that's my opinion. My wife bought them from the food truck often and then we went to the brick and mortar. Same results, wife like them, too damn greasy for me. She will likely continue to go, I won't. They are a nice alternative for those that won't a late night snack. I'm not going to change my review just because they are local. **** doesn't get nbettwr by making people think their product is perfect

Cool. Don't go. But don't be an ass about it man. I could tell you how garbage half the food in this town is and question why people would spend a dime on it let alone real money. But I don't trash businesses, except garbage BBQ joints, and there's two of those in town that somehow still get lots of business with product that's as bad as Dickey's.
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

By the looks of us, we could stand to eat A donut instead of 10. Place serves a good cronut, but I guess the average Wacoan's never ending quest for Pappadeaux continues. It did seem that most of the clientele were Baylor students when I made a stop on Friday night.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Michibear
notbubbleboy said:

Local kids. Pay a couple of extra bucks and support a couple of young entrepreneurs. F the Big Donut industry.
Did someone say Big Donut?

[url=https://www.4shared.com/photo/VX2HTogY/wEIS_DONUT.html][/url]
jbbear
trey3216 said:

I get it. I live in a small town with a Starbucks and so many have never tried it and think all u can get is a $5 cup of coffee. I tell them I NEVER get just coffee. They don't understand and are just simpletons. I'm guessing Waco still has a lot of that to overcome.
CorsicanaBear
Wish them well. I'm not their market.

I never go anywhere to eat a donut and drink a cup of coffee. I don't meet people for coffee and a donut. Its just not something ever on my schedule. I also don't take out coffee and donuts. I occasionally stop at Starbucks to get a cup of coffee when I'm on the road.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Jakedasnake
CorsicanaBear said:

Wish them well. I'm not their market.

I never go anywhere to eat a donut and drink a cup of coffee. I don't meet people for coffee and a donut. Its just not something ever on my schedule. I also don't take out coffee and donuts. I occasionally stop at Starbucks to get a cup of coffee when I'm on the road.
Constant coffee meetings for me. 2-3 a week.

- Quick networking
- business meeting
- ministry related
- Jacob
1outawayBear
Wife and I tried it Sunday morning and thought it was great. Unique for sure
Coyote Bear
I love their product, but I thought their store would mean lower prices than their food truck. Donuts are traditionally a volume driven business.

I went to buy a dozen for my office. I saw that price and decided to just buy one for myself.

It was excellent. But I'm not paying $30+ for the office to partake.
Fat Daddy
Coyote Bear said:

I love their product, but I thought their store would mean lower prices than their food truck. Donuts are traditionally a volume driven business.

I went to buy a dozen for my office. I saw that price and decided to just buy one for myself.

It was excellent. But I'm not paying $30+ for the office to partake.

Obviously, according to Trey, you and I don't understand how nice things work!

I am glad they are here and wish them all the best... and I will stop by occasionally and grab one or two and some coffee!
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Obviously, according to Trey, you and I don't understand how nice things work!
Bespoke donuts.
Illigitimus non carborundum
WILLIS
Kids picked the wrong food to try and get rich off of. Bet the food is dang good tho.
CammoTX
We now have a Voodoo Donut in Houston and those price points are on point for gourmet donuts.

Same thing with gourmet cookie, cupcake and now cinnamon roll places that are sprouting up.

Trendy as all get out, but man they are delicious!
PartyBear
Waco has a few gourmet cookie and gourmet cup cake places and the Nothing Bundt Cake place. I suppose this is somewhat in line with those types of places. Sounds like a desert place not a grab a dozen for breakfast snack type of place.
Fat Daddy
Second visit this morning.

First visit was thru the drive-thru and due to confusion with the order, they failed to give me my coffee... and I failed to ask for it. Was opening week and a lot of going on. Forgivable.

Went back today and went in with my wife, but ordered "to go". Handed me my coffee and said "here you go, coffee with cream"... and I looked at the lady that took the order and asked "is that right" and she said "no, you ordered black". The guy serving the coffee looked at the order and said "oh, I just read it wrong"... and got a new cup of coffee for me.

Took our donuts home. The receipt showed what we ordered.... but what was on the sacks didn't match the order. And we were the only ones there and ordering.

And the parking lot is very tight... probably impossible if there are more than four or five cars in the drive-thru.

I hope they get the service worked out... I would like to stop by every now and then!
SSadler
Even though Fat Daddy has given his review, as a local to Waco I feel it my serious obligation and commitment to sample--especially since a donut combines all the white, yellow, dairy, fat, starch and sugar content a balanced diet is supposed to have.

Fat Daddy
SSadler said:

Even though Fat Daddy has given his review, as a local to Waco I feel it my serious obligation and commitment to sample--especially since a donut combines all the white, yellow, dairy, fat, starch and sugar content a balanced diet is supposed to have.

The S before Sadler is for Service!

Anything for Baylor!!!
Yogi
Tried one this weekend.

It was good.

I like that they are flaky. (I am a huge fan of the flaky biscuit as well).

But, not $3.00 per donut good to me.

I mean, this is fine if you're flying solo, but you're spending $30.00 to bring a dozen to the office, which I just don't see the market for in Waco.

Still, it's worth a try, and I encourage everyone to give them a try.

It's a premium product.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Coke Bear
Yogi said:

Tried one this weekend.

It was good.

I mean, this is fine if you're flying solo, but you're spending $30.00 to bring a dozen to the office, which I just don't see the market for in Waco.

It's a premium product.
I'll echo Yogi's posts. We took some teens from church their this Sunday.

It was very good! My first time to try a cro-nut. It was so flaky. I wish I used a small plate.

I also agree about not being $3.00 donut-good. I can eat copious amounts of food. I would rather get three Shipleys for the three bucks because I like to eat. (Even though I haven't had a donut in a year.)

I don't eat breakfast (or lunch) so I won't be back.

I do agree that everyone should try the place. They wont be disappointed in the taste.
Bexar Pitts
Maybe the folks just need a "hook" or a signature item to get customers to repeatedly stop by and pay a little more for their product? I mean, what does Magnolia get for a cupcake ..$ 500 dollars? J/K .My kids took me to a little ice cream shop in Long Beach that served their "specialty" Milky Bun..It was a donut , sans the hole, that was filled with your choice of ice cream..sealed..glazed..and heated..Donut Bun was warm and tasty..and the ice cream inside was perfectly cold and awesome....I'm obviously no restaurateur, but maybe something like that would help them? Would love for them to succeed..
trey3216
Coke Bear said:

Yogi said:

Tried one this weekend.

It was good.

It's a premium product.

It was very good! My first time to try a cro-nut. It was so flaky. I wish I used a small plate.

I also agree about not being $3.00 donut-good. I can eat copious amounts of food. I would rather get three Shipleys for the three bucks because I like to eat. (Even though I haven't had a donut in a year.)

I do agree that everyone should try the place. They wont be disappointed in the taste.
People are thinking $3/donut or $3/pastry. Many of the same people will go to a cupcake shop and get 6-10 $4/cupcake things for their office, or their wife's birthday, etc. This is a different chapter of the same book in my opinion. I don't go to Cafe' du Mond in New Orleans to get a dozen bignets, I go there to get 2 of them and a cup of coffee.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

Yogi said:

Tried one this weekend.

It was good.

It's a premium product.

People are thinking $3/donut or $3/pastry. Many of the same people will go to a cupcake shop and get 6-10 $4/cupcake things for their office, or their wife's birthday, etc. This is a different chapter of the same book in my opinion. I don't go to Cafe' du Mond in New Orleans to get a dozen bignets, I go there to get 2 of them and a cup of coffee.

Ha I was thinking the same thing. All three times we've gone together we just get One donut and coffee each. Even this morning, I stopped and grabbed 6 donuts for the 6 daycare workers on my way to drop him off. 20 bucks ain't bad.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.