Nightlight Donuts Now Open

7,616 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bexar Pitts
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

Yogi said:

Tried one this weekend.

It was good.

I like that they are flaky. (I am a huge fan of the flaky biscuit as well).

But, not $3.00 per donut good to me.

I mean, this is fine if you're flying solo, but you're spending $30.00 to bring a dozen to the office, which I just don't see the market for in Waco.

Still, it's worth a try, and I encourage everyone to give them a try.

It's a premium product.
I'll echo Yogi's posts. We took some teens from church their this Sunday.

It was very good! My first time to try a cro-nut. It was so flaky. I wish I used a small plate.

I also agree about not being $3.00 donut-good. I can eat copious amounts of food. I would rather get three Shipleys for the three bucks because I like to eat. (Even though I haven't had a donut in a year.)

I don't eat breakfast (or lunch) so I won't be back.

I do agree that everyone should try the place. They wont be disappointed in the taste.
People are thinking $3/donut or $3/pastry. Many of the same people will go to a cupcake shop and get 6-10 $4/cupcake things for their office, or their wife's birthday, etc. This is a different chapter of the same book in my opinion. I don't go to Cafe' du Mond in New Orleans to get a dozen bignets, I go there to get 2 of them and a cup of coffee.

How it's done

CorsicanaBear
Been to Cafe du Mond and fail to see the attraction.

Illigitimus non carborundum
Bear Doc
CorsicanaBear said:

Been to Cafe du Mond and fail to see the attraction.

The secret ingredient is pigeon poop...
Bexar Pitts
CammoTX said:

trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

Yogi said:

Tried one this weekend.

It was good.

I mean, this is fine if you're flying solo, but you're spending $30.00 to bring a dozen to the office, which I just don't see the market for in Waco.

It's a premium product.

It was very good! My first time to try a cro-nut. It was so flaky. I wish I used a small plate.

I also agree about not being $3.00 donut-good. I can eat copious amounts of food. I would rather get three Shipleys for the three bucks because I like to eat. (Even though I haven't had a donut in a year.)

I do agree that everyone should try the place. They wont be disappointed in the taste.
People are thinking $3/donut or $3/pastry. Many of the same people will go to a cupcake shop and get 6-10 $4/cupcake things for their office, or their wife's birthday, etc. This is a different chapter of the same book in my opinion. I don't go to Cafe' du Mond in New Orleans to get a dozen bignets, I go there to get 2 of them and a cup of coffee.

How it's done

Looks like a typical breakfast for Tony Montana.
ABC BEAR
I'm a Jack & Jill fan and won't be lured away by the new kid in town. Good food, good prices and big BU supporters.
jbbear
CammoTX said:

trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

Yogi said:

Tried one this weekend.

It was good.

It's a premium product.

How it's done

You're killing me. My wife and I once drove back from NO with a bag of these beauties and a half muffaletta from Central Grocery (the creator of the muffaletta). Quite a mess in the car but worth every memory.
FranchiseBear
Shipley do-nuts was mentioned a few times in thread. I live in Houston and Shipley donuts are held in high regard here for standard fare(not premium). What's the sentiment in Waco? Do you go to Shipley for coffee like Dunkin is a coffee destination?

Just curious.
trey3216
FranchiseBear said:

Shipley do-nuts was mentioned a few times in thread. I live in Houston and Shipley donuts are held in high regard here for standard fare(not premium). What's the sentiment in Waco? Do you go to Shipley for coffee like Dunkin is a coffee destination?

Just curious.

I'm not a big fan of Shipley's coffee. I do like their donuts.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Fat Daddy
FranchiseBear said:

Just curious.

Shipley's has made me want to seek a career as a policeman! Love their donuts, cinnamon twists, cinnamon rolls and Bear claws..... and blueberry glazed!
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

FranchiseBear said:

Just curious.

I'm not a big fan of Shipley's coffee. I do like their donuts.
It is certainly considered the standard for "church/office donuts" though for sure. You might see some Daylight, Jack, or local shop on occasion, but I'd say Shipley is the expected donut. Sort of how Krispy Kreme was at church every Sunday when it opened in Waco in the early 00's. Except Shipley has a staying power that KK didn't.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
baylrballa
FranchiseBear said:

Just curious.
outside of maybe Donut Stop in amarillo, Shipley's is the best. Ran circles around that trash krispy kreme when they tried to come in town. Coffee is terrible though.

trey3216
baylrballa said:

FranchiseBear said:

Just curious.
outside of maybe Donut Stop in amarillo, Shipley's is the best. Ran circles around that trash krispy kreme when they tried to come in town. Coffee is terrible though.

Southern-Maid donuts is still my favorite, or was. Not sure if they're even around anymore (DFW)
pmoose72
Southern Maid still has a shop in Paris. They are tasty. Also my favorite for a tailgate treat are their sausage and jalapeno sausage kolaches.
SSadler
Shipley's is the go0-to in Waco simply because it has so many locations--as Fat Daddy can probably attest (being the afficianado on donuts that he's proving to be in this thread).

All major roads with strip centers coming and going in Waco have sites. Jack N Jill, notsomuch.
FranchiseBear
Fat Daddy your post just made me want to dive into some donuts!
WacoKelly83
Good memories of Jack and Jill. As a kid growing up in the FBC Waco family I ate my fair share. We would wait til the adults cleared out and feast on leftover glazed donuts in the classroom. I'm sure there are some on here that participated.

Sorry to divert the discussion. Carry on..
trey3216
WacoKelly83 said:

Good memories of Jack and Jill. As a kid growing up in the FBC Waco family I ate my fair share. We would wait til the adults cleared out and feast on leftover glazed donuts in the classroom. I'm sure there are some on here that participated.

Sorry to divert the discussion. Carry on..

No, I'm the adult that has their donuts feasted on by the kids when we clear out.
redfish961
Tried one at the Farmers Market this morning.

It was different, but good...Not really a donut in the classic sense, but pretty good and the chocolate was excellent.

You never go to the Farmers Market expecting to save money so price point wasn't an issue.
hodedofome
Nightlight is a little too pricey for me to make it a regular stop for donuts. Trendy atmosphere though.
trey3216
Had their Jasmine Green Tea and a glazed donut today. Delicious.
lrwells50
jbbear said:

trey3216 said:

Yes, they're croissant donuts. They're very good in my opinion and have grown from a small food truck locating outside the bars at night and the businesses in the morning. They're more of a buy one or two for dessert type place than buying a dozen for the office type place. Some folks just don't understand how things can be different and still be successful. We want nice things in Waco but we don't get them because people don't understand how nice things work.

I get it. I live in a small town with a Starbucks and so many have never tried it and think all u can get is a $5 cup of coffee. I tell them I NEVER get just coffee. They don't understand and are just simpletons. I'm guessing Waco still has a lot of that to overcome.
We live in a small town with a Starbucks, and I can't remember the last time I went. I have a Nespresso machine, and have multiple shots of espresso with frothed milk, then don't drink any more coffee the rest of the day. Mine actually may cost as much as a Starbucks coffee would, but it sure is better.
BaylorHistory
lrwells50 said:

jbbear said:

trey3216 said:

Yes, they're croissant donuts. They're very good in my opinion and have grown from a small food truck locating outside the bars at night and the businesses in the morning. They're more of a buy one or two for dessert type place than buying a dozen for the office type place. Some folks just don't understand how things can be different and still be successful. We want nice things in Waco but we don't get them because people don't understand how nice things work.

I get it. I live in a small town with a Starbucks and so many have never tried it and think all u can get is a $5 cup of coffee. I tell them I NEVER get just coffee. They don't understand and are just simpletons. I'm guessing Waco still has a lot of that to overcome.
We live in a small town with a Starbucks, and I can't remember the last time I went. I have a Nespresso machine, and have multiple shots of espresso with frothed milk, then don't drink any more coffee the rest of the day. Mine actually may cost as much as a Starbucks coffee would, but it sure is better.
I bought the Walmart combo K-Cup/Ground coffee maker for $19 and haven't gone back. I'm not picky about a cup of Joe....Of course I drink it with just a dash of milk so I guess I don't need much more than that.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
trey3216
I typically use an actual coffee maker every morning. I actually have to take as much time to brew 1/3 of a pot as I do making a k-cup. THe Horror!!!!
jbbear
lrwells50 said:

jbbear said:

trey3216 said:

And that machine can make iced caramel macchiatos, iced lattes and cold brew as good as Starbucks? Not a chance. You don't have to like or frequent a Starbucks but to think some machine you purchase at Walmart is the same is beyond funny. Starbucks dominates the market for a reason.
PartyBear
Shipley is the current Waco go to and has been since at least the 90s. We don't get donuts that often. But when we do that's where we get it from. I actually like Jack N Jill more although I'm going by a memory here. I have not actually had their donuts in 20 years. I think there is only one left, if it is still there. They were more the go to at one time at least that is my memory from the 80smy first decade in Waco. We loved Krispy Kreme back in the day of their short existence here. Dunkin I had not had since 76 when I lived in another part of the country. I remembered it being better than the modern Dunkin I tried in Waco. Could all be the same as when I had it as a kid maybe it didn't change at all and it was just more appealing to me when I was 10. I didn't think it was that great when I tried it 6 months ago.
lrwells50
jbbear said:

lrwells50 said:

jbbear said:

trey3216 said:

And that machine can make iced caramel macchiatos, iced lattes and cold brew as good as Starbucks? Not a chance. You don't have to like or frequent a Starbucks but to think some machine you purchase at Walmart is the same is beyond funny. Starbucks dominates the market for a reason.
Well, you don't buy a Nespresso machine from WalMart (which I haven't visited in over 5 years,) and I don't like cold coffee, or sugar in my coffee, so I really don't need Starbucks. I didn't start drinking coffee until I was about 45, and my daughters started me out with mochas. They just always seemed too sweet, and I transitioned to no chocolate and no sugar pretty quickly.

I do like Starbucks strawberry Frappuccino, but don't get them very often.
PartyBear
You can buy Starbucks Nespresso pods and Starbucks coffee to make in your own coffee maker. If you drink your coffee black or with cream and sugar, you can do that at home.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
I'm thinking the angry get off my lawn sports guys in this group are not the demographic for Nightlight. They had a rough opening, some fry issues they are still working through but I will drive the 30 min from my house off Gholson to get a bag of the cinnamon sugar donut holes once a week.
Bear Doc
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

I'm thinking the angry get off my lawn sports guys in this group are not the demographic for Nightlight. They had a rough opening, some fry issues they are still working through but I will drive the 30 min from my house off Gholson to get a bag of the cinnamon sugar donut holes once a week.
Username does not check out.
TenBears
Jack and Jill is up there with Molitors, Sears toy department and Holzes Music for my favorite Waco childhood spots.
Bexar Pitts
notbubbleboy said:

Jack and Jill is up there with Molitors, Sears toy department and Holzes Music for my favorite Waco childhood spots.
Jack N' Jill was great back " in the day"..may still be..haven't been in years...If my memory serves me correctly, they were long time sponsors of Dub King Sports Show on KCEN TV..Does anybody remember Spudnuts in Waco? They were on 25th Street, right across from O and H Rare Foods...just down from Otis Stahl drugstore at 25th and Austin! Ate many "Blue Plate Specials" at Otis Stahl's counter..Awesome homecookin"! Spudnuts hired kids to peddle their potato based flour morsels all over town...they rode bicycles in our neighborhood, while shouting the brand and ringing their handlebar bells just to let you know they were around! I may be mistaken, but I believe Shipley uses a potato based mix. I love the taste/texture of the donuts.. Just a tad bit of Waco trivia!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.