Billy Joe Shaver crossed that river (the Jordan or the Brazos)

2,249 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CammoTX
Robert Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Joined up with Eddy. But he's gonna live forever.

EnglishBear
Prine, Scamp Walker, and Billy Joe. 2020 can get wrecked.
MrGolfguy
Robert Wilson
And .Justin Townes Earl. Brutal run.

Billy Joe with Eddy just layin' it down

Robert Wilson
MrGolfguy said:

Robert Duval and Willie Nelson hung out in the courthouse while Billy Joe was tried that week. McLennan County jury acquitted him in under 2 hours on self defense or, more likely, a needed shootin' defense. Proved that Six Shooter Junction was not completely a distant memory.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
RIP Met and hung out with him in the Whataburger on 6 and 84 early one Sunday morning.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Bexar Pitts
It's been said that Willie called him Texas best songwriter. One of my favorite albums is Waylon's "Honkey Tonk Heroes." Billy Joe Shaver wrote or co-wrote all but one song on the album. The photo on the front cover is awesome. What a group of outlaws!
Robert Wilson
Bexar Pitts said:

It's been said that Willie called him Texas best songwriter. One of my favorite albums is Waylon's "Honkey Tonk Heroes." Billy Joe Shaver wrote or co-wrote all but one song on the album. The photo on the front cover is awesome. What a group of outlaws!

Honky Tonk heroes retells Billy Joe's childhood hanging out at Green Gables bar in Waco while his mom tended the place.

I don't suppose we have anyone around here with a working recollection of Green Gables?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Bexar Pitts
Robert Wilson said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Honky Tonk heroes retells Billy Joe's childhood hanging out at Green Gables bar in Waco while his mom tended the place.

I don't suppose we have anyone around here with a working recollection of Green Gables?
Good stuff, Robert Wilson! I'd heard that story before, but I heard it as his Granny..named Birdie Lee. Legends like Billy Joe always carry their past with them..He was a great example of a rough and tumble life. I won't belabor this story, but the way he got Waylon to finally listen to his songs is classic. You seem to be a real fan, so you probably have heard the story a zillion times. Anyway, thanks for posting about Green Gables. I've been in quite a few of 'em around here in my day, but never came across that one. Would love to hear where it was and when it "crossed over" into history..
Robert Wilson
Looks like it was off Orchard Lane off Highway 77. I'd heard that before and forgotten it.

Someone oughta resurrect the old place. Or crank up a new place and name it Green Gables.

Great video that Brian posted.
Bexar Pitts
Robert Wilson said:

Looks like it was off Orchard Lane off Highway 77. I'd heard that before and forgotten it.

Someone oughta resurrect the old place. Or crank up a new place and name it Green Gables.

Man, that was indeed a great video! I enjoyed the stories of Green Gables, Honkey Tonk Heroes, and the Papa Joe's "Incident!" Most of the video was pretty much down the line of the stories I'd heard...with just a few differences..Always a few differences in 'legendary" history! I've been by Orchard Lane and South Loop a million times..used to frequent a tavern there called "Matties." Looked like the Alamo with a real oyster shell parking lot. Mattie used to tell stories about Willie coming in after a night on the Dallas Highway, and she'd make him Po' Boy Soup. Mattie was one of the sweetest ladies you could ever meet,,but you'd best behave in her business! Lots of my frat brothers would take dates there and play shuffleboard..Dick Deguerin was Billy Joe's lawyer in the "incident." I understand he did it pro bono. Deguerin was the best ...Combine that with Willie and Robert Duvall..well, you've got a winner! Thanks for keepin' the legend alive!
Robert Wilson
Bexar Pitts said:

Robert Wilson said:

Man, that was indeed a great video! I enjoyed the stories of Green Gables, Honkey Tonk Heroes, and the Papa Joe's "Incident!" Most of the video was pretty much down the line of the stories I'd heard...with just a few differences..Always a few differences in 'legendary" history! I've been by Orchard Lane and South Loop a million times..used to frequent a tavern there called "Matties." Looked like the Alamo with a real oyster shell parking lot. Mattie used to tell stories about Willie coming in after a night on the Dallas Highway, and she'd make him Po' Boy Soup. Mattie was one of the sweetest ladies you could ever meet,,but you'd best behave in her business! Lots of my frat brothers would take dates there and play shuffleboard..Dick Deguerin was Billy Joe's lawyer in the "incident." I understand he did it pro bono. Deguerin was the best ...Combine that with Willie and Robert Duvall..well, you've got a winner! Thanks for keepin' the legend alive!

Man that's great stuff. Very cool.

That was arguably the most colorful week ever in the McLennan County courthouse. Between the story, the defendant, Willie, Robert Duvall, and the jury acquitting BjS in under two hours for shooting a man in the face, the legend of Six Shooter Junction lived on for just a moment.
Bexar Pitts
Robert Wilson said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Robert Wilson said:

That was arguably the most colorful week ever in the McLennan County courthouse. Between the story, the defendant, Willie, Robert Duvall, and the jury acquitting BjS in under two hours for shooting a man in the face, the legend of Six Shooter Junction lived on for just a moment.
Talking about "Green Gables" sparked me into doin' a little homework..You were correct about BJS mother tending the place..Her name was Victory... Birdie Lee , his Granny, apparently stayed at her home in Corsicana, and continued to make and sell lye soap.Texas Monthly did a great story on him when he was 64..roughly 17 years ago. KWTX has information on their website about his visitation and funeral next week...They say its open to the public. I'll bet there will be quite a collection of music industry folks in attendance.
Robert Wilson
Bexar Pitts said:

Robert Wilson said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Robert Wilson said:

Talking about "Green Gables" sparked me into doin' a little homework..You were correct about BJS mother tending the place..Her name was Victory... Birdie Lee , his Granny, apparently stayed at her home in Corsicana, and continued to make and sell lye soap.Texas Monthly did a great story on him when he was 64..roughly 17 years ago. KWTX has information on their website about his visitation and funeral next week...They say its open to the public. I'll bet there will be quite a collection of music industry folks in attendance.
I've read that article before and did again this week. Good stuff. Saw that funeral was open to the public. Might have to go check it out...
Bexar Pitts
One of the greatest compliments a songwriter can get is to have other artists record his music. Billy Joe was given mountains of compliments. I'm gonna try and put a link up to one by Cody Johnson..in a tribute to a 7 year old little girl who crossed over from cancer. It's a simple Country version of the song..which is the way BJS wrote it. You know the great Country writer Harlan Howard said Country Music is "Three Chords and the Truth"..Billy Joe proved him right!
Robert Wilson
Thanks for posting. Johnson did a great job with it. Less is more with that song, like most of Shaver's songs. He had a way of boiling complicated truth's down to their essence - just a few simple words.

Great quote from Howard.
CammoTX
RE: three cords and the truth, referenced in this amazing song by Emmylou:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.