RIP Hippodrome (again, sort of)

2,796 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SIC EM 94
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shutting down the movies, restaurant and rooftop bar.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/movies-dining-to-cease-at-the-hippodrome/article_0364dd98-1d31-11eb-9af9-433236b9dff3.html?fbclid=IwAR1dHoEU3yoVOPUSkMHux2pQrLkEr1zqr6QWmdVLeOWFiEwuqxU7tYSkSMo#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
1outawayBear
So when they do re runs of home alone this Christmas I can't buy a bucket of beer? Sucks
Bear Doc
This is sad. Another small business COVID casualty. We enjoyed seeing movies there. Hopefully the new Cinemark will offer some of the same more "luxury" movie options that we had gotten used to.
Showtime
I'm not totally clear from the article what is going to be leftover from this.

I actually enjoyed eating at The Raleigh. Hopefully another restaurant can occupy that space.
1outawayBear
Showtime said:

I'm not totally clear from the article what is going to be leftover from this.

I actually enjoyed eating at The Raleigh. Hopefully another restaurant can occupy that space.

Same.

Sounds like they are going to put the restraunt/bar area for lease/sale? Seemed odd after so much into it but I get it. My uncles cover band played there to a (covid) sold out crowd a few weeks ago so didn't seem to be doing horribly since reopening
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Looking at it makes me think the development side of Waco is greater than the restaurant side of Waco.
CorsicanaBear
Very sad and a big hit to the Austin Avenue area.
Illigitimus non carborundum
trey3216
As a very good friend of the owners, it hurts to see this. I can't begin to tell you how much has gone into making the Hippo a great place again. The pandemic has hit millions of businesses like this in the mouth, and it's taking names. Sad for a couple of great friends and BU grads to have poured everything into it, only to have the business environs rip it away.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Alf
CorsicanaBear said:

Very sad and a big hit to the Austin Avenue area.

Yep, this is bad for Waco. Hope this isn't the first of more downtown businesses to go belly up.
Robert Wilson
Was nice to have a place to eat a meal and have a drink while watching a movie. That was the only dining / movie option in Waco.

I'll be a bit of a curmudgeon and say the Raleigh venue was nice, but the food and service was average and sub-par, respectively. Not shocked that didn't make it.

The concerts they were bringing to town were a big boon. REK and Lyle Lovett (especially), Ray Wylie Hubbard - I'd hate to see that side of it go away, though covid has killed all that for now anyway.
PTGHUNTER
I have never been to The Raleigh but it always appeared to be busy every time we would drive by.

Actually just this last weekend I told my wife we need to go eat there because it must be good because it always looks busy.

Maybe just the outside seating is really busy.

Grinnin bear
Gotta wonder if this could be prime Chip and Joanna territory.
PartyBear
Yes and they just finished renovations. I view this as terrible news.
CorsicanaBear
C & J can't own everything downtown.
Grimm
The writing was on the wall when they didn't have Ford vs Ferrari and kept forcing dumb movies... Sad to hear it though...
baylrballa
Was a great place to catch a movie. But haven't been since covid.

Was never impressed with the restaurant.
whitetrash
Grinnin bear said:

Gotta wonder if this could be prime Chip and Joanna territory.
Turner brothers (who own the Hippodrome) owned the one story cinder block building at 8th & Webster that used to house CrossFit (and was the only part of the block of the Silos Magnolia didn't own). Chip & JoJo paid either $1.3mm or 1.4mm for it. Now houses Magnolia Press. I would expect them to concentrate on their newly expanded amusement park instead of another downtown venture.
BaylorHistory
baylrballa said:

Was a great place to catch a movie. But haven't been since covid.

Was never impressed with the restaurant.

This 100%, though we still did enjoy some queso and drinks at the Raleigh on the weekends.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
CorsicanaBear
Never went to the movies there, of course I never go to movies anywhere, that's what streaming video and big screen TV's are for. I shouldn't have to go to the movies, they should come to me. Movie theaters are doomed to the same future as live theatre performances of plays and classical music. They will require charity support in most places.

Agree the Raleigh was sort of blah on the food side. About two months ago we went with our dog for a walk downtown and ate on the patio, enjoyed that a lot, but the food was not the reason to go.

Still, regardless of my selections in the market, I would like to see a vibrant night life scene (restaurants, live music venues etc) along Austin and the Hippodrome was a significant cornerstone for that kind of growth. I am not happy when anyone's business fails.

southtexasbear
My wife and I would regularly go to The High Top Bar. Loved sitting outside and looking over downtown. It was our go to date night spot before or after eating dinner somewhere.
Grimm
Does anyone know what they are doing on the roof of the Stratton building next door? It looked like they were putting in Pergolas and I assumed another full rooftop bar, but then never saw anything else...
Robert Wilson
Grimm said:

Does anyone know what they are doing on the roof of the Stratton building next door? It looked like they were putting in Pergolas and I assumed another full rooftop bar, but then never saw anything else...
I was told rooftop bar
SSadler
Assuming if we had a credit for the C.S. Lewis tickets that never got used due to canceled performance that there is a way of requesting a refund now instead of a credit.

Anyone know if so?
SIC EM 94
SSadler said:

Assuming if we had a credit for the C.S. Lewis tickets that never got used due to canceled performance that there is a way of requesting a refund now instead of a credit.

Anyone know if so?

They posted this on Facebook the other day:

If you have a gift card for the Waco Hippodrome, please reach out to our box office line this week to plan a time to come by and receive a refund.
BaylorHistory
Aren't they still doing some special events?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
1outawayBear
BaylorHistory said:

Aren't they still doing some special events?

Very vague via their release.

My uncles Pink Floyd cover band that sold out was told no more unless they rent it out personally
SSadler
My $200 was paid for tickets to the C.S. Lewis program that canceled. Not a gift card. Simply tickets paid for and event was canceled. The tickets were to be held at the Box Office. After the cancellation the office said I could come get a refund or simply "hold" the credit for any future box office event/ticket.

Obviously, now, there will be no such "future" box office events.

So, surely there is a way of refunding. Surely????
SIC EM 94
SSadler said:

My $200 was paid for tickets to the C.S. Lewis program that canceled. Not a gift card. Simply tickets paid for and event was canceled. The tickets were to be held at the Box Office. After the cancellation the office said I could come get a refund or simply "hold" the credit for any future box office event/ticket.

Obviously, now, there will be no such "future" box office events.

So, surely there is a way of refunding. Surely????

It sounds like they would be willing to refund...call them or go by there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.