Pic Piccadilly Cafeteria 1949

2,409 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Booray
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

Piccadilly Cafeteria
713-715 Austin Avenue

Waco Tribune Herald, October 31, 1949.
BaylorHistory
I had no idea Piccadilly as a chain was that old. Apparently there are still a lot of locations from Louisiana to North Carolina. I remember liking it slightly more than Luby's.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Bexar Pitts
gobears20 said:

Piccadilly Cafeteria
713-715 Austin Avenue

Waco Tribune Herald, October 31, 1949.
Thanks so much for putting up that photo! Piccadilly was a town favorite! It wasn't Friday if you didn't go to their Lake Air Mall location and eat catfish! Fred Tomchesson would always greet you by name with a friendly hello and the food was outstanding! Such great memories! Thanks again for making this old man's day!
CammoTX
Piccadilly Lemon Pie was the truth.

They also get bonus points for the amount of butter they put in their corn.
whitetrash
The downtown Piccadilly burned in about April 1968. The empty space was never rebuilt and is now the patio/pocket park next to Klassy Glass.

We stopped and ate lunch at a Piccadilly in Baton Rouge on our way to the Sugar Bowl last year. Still good as always.

gobears20
Staff
No problem!

Here is another inside

Piccadilly Cafeteria
713-715 Austin Avenue

The Waco Tribune Herald, October 31, 1949.

BaylorHistory
gobears20 said:

No problem!

Here is another inside

Piccadilly Cafeteria
713-715 Austin Avenue

I went to the NYTimes from that day and it looks like the big issues of the day were how Tito was causing some headaches for Stalin and how Western Germany was looking to start payments on war reparations. Always fun to see what people were worried/thinking about in old pictures like this.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
whitetrash
BaylorHistory said:

gobears20 said:

No problem!

Here is another inside

Piccadilly Cafeteria
713-715 Austin Avenue

I went to the NYTimes from that day and it looks like the big issues of the day were how Tito was causing some headaches for Stalin and how Western Germany was looking to start payments on war reparations. Always fun to see what people were worried/thinking about in old pictures like this.
BU had just beaten TCU 40-14 2 days earlier in the final homecoming game at Muny Stadium to go 6-0 and be ranked #6 in the country (until we lost the following week in Austin). Although we finished 8-2, no bowl bid that year. Coach Bob Woodruff bolted for the Florida job shortly thereafter.
Grumpy
Help me out: what building and storefront would that be today?
whitetrash
Grumpy said:

Help me out: what building and storefront would that be today?
It has remained empty space since the fire. It's now the outside patio space for a bar.
Grumpy
Thanks. Sorry I somehow missed where you answered this earlier in the thread. I know exactly where that is now. Very interesting.
PartyBear
whitetrash said:

The downtown Piccadilly burned in about April 1968. The empty space was never rebuilt and is now the patio/pocket park next to Klassy Glass.

We stopped and ate lunch at a Piccadilly in Baton Rouge on our way to the Sugar Bowl last year. Still good as always.

Are you sure of the location? I'm pretty sure Klassy Glass does not have a side patio. There is a place a little further down that does. I don't recall the name. But the building in the photo looks like the building that houses a bar called the Warehouse called Muddle a few years ago.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

whitetrash said:

Are you sure of the location? I'm pretty sure Klassy Glass does not have a side patio. There is a place a little further down that does. I don't recall the name. But the building in the photo looks like the building that houses a bar called the Warehouse called Muddle a few years ago.

It's not Klassy Glass patio; it's a couple of doors down to the left. It's some other bar I can't think of. Portofino and whatever the space that used to be Muddle are further up the block and not in the photo.
Booray
whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

whitetrash said:

It's not Klassy Glass patio; it's a couple of doors down to the left. It's some other bar I can't think of. Portofino and whatever the space that used to be Muddle are further up the block and not in the photo.

I think it was the open space for Austin's, which I never went to and is now closed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.