Richland Mall 1981

10,676 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pseudo3D
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Grumpy
Wow. Looks like the edge of town. What is the building in front where restaurants are now?
Bexar Pitts
Grumpy said:

Wow. Looks like the edge of town. What is the building in front where restaurants are now?
Commercial office space..I remember the bronze like reflective glass on the outside.
CTbruin
And I remember when it was the Lake Air Drive In movie
MrGolfguy
Richland Fashion Mall was the official name the first couple decades i believe.
PartyBear
It revamped its signage to red with a different font and started going by just Richland Mall in Fall of 95.
Stranger
CTbruin said:

And I remember a Baylor offensive lineman and my ownself would buy three cases of beer down at the Schlitz Distributor on Friday afternoon for $9.95 and invite a couple of coeds to the Lake Air Drive for movies and stuff.
I'm a Bearbacker
IndyYes
My favorite memory of Richland Fashion Mall when I was a Baylor student from 1982-1986 was Chelsea Street Pub. They would offer 3 for 1's on Texas Teas. But about the time I graduated, MADD wasn't a fan of those promotions and put an end to it.

Heard Chelsea Street Pub was a place where David Koresh would frequent and do his recruiting.
WacoKelly83
CTbruin said:

I remember seeing Omega Man with Chuck Heston at the Lake Air drive-in. My friends big sis drove Mom's station and we packed in 9 of us kids and backed in with the tailgate open. Simpler times.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Looks like the edge of town.
Felt like it too. The Loop/6 was way out. Heck Woodway felt like another town, not a continuation of Waco. The funny thing is that the interchange there at 84/6 looks unchanged from until now 30 years later.

I worked at Richland in the Sunglass kiosk near the Chick-fil-a until I graduated in 1981. That cash bought my wife's engagement ring on layaway at Kindler's Gem Jewelers (then on Bosque).
Illigitimus non carborundum
PartyBear
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Looks like the edge of town.
Felt like it too. The Loop/6 was way out. Heck Woodway felt like another town, not a continuation of Waco. The funny thing is that the interchange there at 84/6 looks unchanged from until now 30 years later.

I worked at Richland in the Sunglass kiosk near the Chick-fil-a until I graduated in 1981. That cash bought my wife's engagement ring on layaway at Kindler's Gem Jewelers (then on Bosque).

Actually as to your first paragraph it has been almost 40 years and that interchange is in need of a massive refurb and expansion.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

interchange is in need of a massive refurb and expansion.
True. And not the only one. Valley Mills at 35 is probably an even more urgent candidate. Problem is the Circle. As much as I like the history, it probably needs to go. Lived in the Boston area for a while. Traffic Circles/Rotaries work well, but the people using them have to instinctively know how to use them. Few in Texas do and the circle is very inefficient as a result. You have to maintain speed entering the circle, adjusting to actually merge with flowing traffic, not stop and wait for an opening. The circle might as well be a 4 way stop with turn lanes the way it works now.
Mr Tulip
IndyYes said:

My favorite memory of Richland Fashion Mall when I was a Baylor student from 1982-1986 was Chelsea Street Pub. They would offer 3 for 1's on Texas Teas. But about the time I graduated, MADD wasn't a fan of those promotions and put an end to it.

Heard Chelsea Street Pub was a place where David Koresh would frequent and do his recruiting.
Chelsea's was the heartbeat of a lot of Waco music. Being 15 years old in 1986, I certainly can't confirm.
Coke Bear
MrGolfguy said:

Richland Fashion Mall was the official name the first couple decades i believe.
Very true. I remember joking at the time that they change the name to "Richland Mall" that there was NO fashion there.

I turned 21 at the December of 1990. I enjoyed Chelsea's Street Pub. I found out one night that puke can red when one drinks too many "Big Red Ones" on drink special. I do apologize now for what I did to that bathroom. It look like someone was killed with a shot gun.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Grew up in Woodway and went to the drive in often. Spent most of my time in the gravel playground on the side. I thought it was named the "western". Saw Leonard Nimoy there once but I was only around 7. My dad was a big Star Trek fan and we used to watch it. Mother would get mad because Dad let me watch it and it had all the "bosomy women/"
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Yogi
That's when the Landmark Apartments were the standard.

Now?

A great place to buy crack.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Beverly Hills Bear
IndyYes, those 3 for 1's were mind erasers. Spent a few nights CSP also. Thank God for guardian angels
SSadler
When the site was still the Drive In Movie (but barely open and deemed by most Wacoans as a completely useless piece of property right slap dab in what at that time was the developing HIghway 84 west corridor), a certain realtor/developer in my church had a wall-size areal photo of the drive in on his office wall and told me one day before hardly ANYone in Waco knew of it.-- of plans to develope it into anything. The man was in his 40s and median income.

"Steve," he said, "If I and my partner can pull of what we think we can, that's my ticket to my first million dollars."

And he was right; and it did.
CooterBU
Burned through many an allowance at Just-For-Fun arcade back in the day. My high score on Zaxxon was boss!
LIB,MR BEARS
Stranger said:

CTbruin said:

And I remember a Baylor offensive lineman and my ownself would buy three cases of beer down at the Schlitz Distributor on Friday afternoon for $9.95 and invite a couple of coeds to the Lake Air Drive for movies and stuff.
What is this "stuff" you speak of?
LIB,MR BEARS
CooterBU said:

Burned through many an allowance at Just-For-Fun arcade back in the day. My high score on Zaxxon was boss!
If you were one of those that had your initials on all ten of the top ten score then, I HATED YOU!
CooterBU
LIB,MR BEARS said:

CooterBU said:

If you were one of those that had your initials on all ten of the top ten score then, I HATED YOU!

You're welcome.
Stranger
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Stranger said:

CTbruin said:

Do you want me to draw you picture?
I'm a Bearbacker
LIB,MR BEARS
CooterBU said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

CooterBU said:

You're welcome.

Noooooooooooooo!
LIB,MR BEARS
Stranger said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Stranger said:

CTbruin said:

Do you want me to draw you picture?
Bearicade
#RIP Piccadilly
I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
dave714
Yogi said:

That's when the Landmark Apartments were the standard.

Now?
A great place to buy crack.
I don't think landmark is a crack haven but I could be wrong. You're probably thinking Waco dr and the river.
Yogi
You guys got me thinking to stores that have lived and died in that mall.

For one, I remember the salon "Your Father's Moustache", where I was able to fill an autograph book of the Baylor Football team and coaching staff from 1981. Mom probably still has it stashed away somewhere.

Of course, there was Picadilly, Wicks N Sticks, Just for Fun, and who could possible forget Chelsea Street Pub?

Before the "Men's Dillards", there was Service Merchandise, and before that, Wilson's.

But as a kid, I liked going into KB Toys when I could, but it still was no match for Molitor's. Ha ha. Molitor's, even the mini-store on the Lake Air Mall next to the barber shop, was a wonderland for a kid back then. I still have the first adult bike I purchased from Molitor's somewhere - a 27 inch Schwinn.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
LIB,MR BEARS
Yogi said:

For one, I remember the salon "Your Father's Moustache", where I was able to fill an autograph book of the Baylor Football team and coaching staff from 1981. Mom probably still has it stashed away somewhere.

Of course, there was Picadilly, Wicks N Sticks, Just for Fun, and who could possible forget Chelsea Street Pub?

Before the "Men's Dillards", there was Service Merchandise, and before that, Wilson's.

But as a kid, I liked going into KB Toys when I could, but it still was no match for Molitor's. Ha ha. Molitor's, even the mini-store on the Lake Air Mall next to the barber shop, was a wonderland for a kid back then. I still have the first adult bike I purchased from Molitor's somewhere - a 27 inch Schwinn.

Dang yogi, I remember all of that. Molitor's , at the big store, had the best bike selection I'd ever seen. My Schwann Stingray came from there.
Bexar Pitts
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Yogi said:

Dang yogi, I remember all of that. Molitor's , at the big store, had the best bike selection I'd ever seen. My Schwann Stingray came from there.
You're talking about the big Fairgate store, right? Help me remember..for some reason I'm thinking of it opening as Molitor's Toy Wonderland..am I getting that right?
Mr Tulip
Let's see. from the "main entrance" on opening day was First Federal (with the "Prestidigitator" one the outside - the first ATM I ever used), I believe Gingiss tuxedo and formal wear, then "Just for Fun" arcade. The other side was Piccadilly, I think.

JCPenny anchored that side, and the Plitt 3 and 4 theaters were next to them (1 and 2 being on the hill). My little sister had an overnight Blue Birds camp out, and my parents couldn't ditch me, so they took me to see "Best Little *****house in Texas" there. I thought I was the shixnit.

I think Zales was always on the corner bend as it went downstairs. Wicks n Sticks was across from that. Linz Jewelers were next door. Coach House Gifts (Waco's sort of, could be version of Spencer's) was on that hall, but I can't remember if they were there when it opened.

I remember doubling up on Kay-Bee Toys and Circus World (down by Sears). Musicland had a better sheet music selection than Hastings. B. Dalton was one bookstore, but I'm blanking on the other one right now.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

B. Dalton was one bookstore, but I'm blanking on the other one right now.
Walden Books.
Mr Tulip
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

B. Dalton was one bookstore, but I'm blanking on the other one right now.
Walden Books.
Ah! Bless you! That would have for real bugged me until I remembered!
IndyYes
Mr Tulip said:

Let's see. from the "main entrance" on opening day was First Federal (with the "Prestidigitator" one the outside - the first ATM I ever used), I believe Gingiss tuxedo and formal wear, then "Just for Fun" arcade. The other side was Piccadilly, I think.

JCPenny anchored that side, and the Plitt 3 and 4 theaters were next to them (1 and 2 being on the hill). My little sister had an overnight Blue Birds camp out, and my parents couldn't ditch me, so they took me to see "Best Little *****house in Texas" there. I thought I was the shixnit.

I think Zales was always on the corner bend as it went downstairs. Wicks n Sticks was across from that. Linz Jewelers were next door. Coach House Gifts (Waco's sort of, could be version of Spencer's) was on that hall, but I can't remember if they were there when it opened.

I remember doubling up on Kay-Bee Toys and Circus World (down by Sears). Musicland had a better sheet music selection than Hastings. B. Dalton was one bookstore, but I'm blanking on the other one right now.
Man that is an awesome memory and appears to be very accurate. I need to take your vitamins.
WacoKelly83
My first memories of Richland Fashion Mall was going to Dillard's and picking out overpriced blue jeans. Then waiting to get my hair styled at Regis, which was right outside of Dillard's. Then on to Foot locker and Musicland. Then up the mall to Piccadilly for dinner.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.