Richland Mall 1981

10,700 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pseudo3D
Mr Tulip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the "Dillard's" area was also Jerry's Perfect Pets. I think across from that was a keyboard or organ shop. In the bend before going up to to Service Merchandise (it was "Wilson's" before that?) was "The Great Hot Dog Experience".

Never ate those, because if I had money for snacks, there was the soft pretzel shop a few doors down.
WacoKelly83
Wasn't there a corn dog 7 in the mall once upon a time? There was one in the Corsicana Mall I would stop by occasionally on my way to Shreveport
Scratchy Bear
Mr Tulip said:

In the "Dillard's" area was also Jerry's Perfect Pets. I think across from that was a keyboard or organ shop. In the bend before going up to to Service Merchandise (it was "Wilson's" before that?) was "The Great Hot Dog Experience".

Never ate those, because if I had money for snacks, there was the soft pretzel shop a few doors down.
As you walked out of Dillard's, Lewis Shoes and Jerry's Perfect Pets were on the left. Regis was on the right, followed by the organ/piano store. Around that bend was Endicott Johnson Shoes. A little further down on that same side was the original location of Chik-Fil-A. A bit further down was the Musicland, B. Dalton, and Eckerds (was it something else...Revco? Skillerns?).

I also remember Hickory Farms (maybe next to Coach House?) across from the KayBee and WaldenBooks on the corridor that led to Penney's. Years later, Kay Bee later moved to the store vacated by Circus World which was on the right as you walked out of Sears. I also seem to remember on that same side as you walked out of Sears, there was a Kenney's Shoes, and of course, Radio Shack. There were several clothing stores on that side as well...I don't remember exactly, but maybe Foxmoor, 5-7-9, and Chess King?

As you walked out of Bealls on the right was Giovanni's Pizza by the Slice. As you walked out of Wilson's on the left was a Zondervan Christian book store.

I also remember Karmel Korn (sp?) and Deck the Walls close to the middle of the mall and across from the previously-mentioned Great Hot Dog Experience. There was also an ice cream stand right by the corridor that led to the bathrooms and offices. I seem to also remember a tobacco store close to the Hickory Farms.

I may be off on some of this, as the theft and vandalism that time has done on my brain has altered some of my memories.
Coke Bear
I remember in the mid-80's the United Colors of Benetton shop being at the corner where Chick-fil-a is now. I believe it turned into an AT&T store for a short time.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Yall spent a lot more time at the mall than I did. One of my best friends worked at K Bees toy store for a while so I was familiar with that store. Then he went to work in the arcade on the Penny's end. The mall closed at 9 but the inside movie theater usually wouldnt get out till 10 or 10:30. So my friend would close the arcade at 9 and wait till 10 to reopen. So in that hour Todd would go put credits on all the games and we would have big competitions on all the games. Good times.
Yogi
Don't forget Musicland! I bought my first CD at Musicland.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
LionBear
IndyYes said:

My favorite memory of Richland Fashion Mall when I was a Baylor student from 1982-1986 was Chelsea Street Pub. They would offer 3 for 1's on Texas Teas. But about the time I graduated, MADD wasn't a fan of those promotions and put an end to it.

Heard Chelsea Street Pub was a place where David Koresh would frequent and do his recruiting.

Chelsea Street Pub in the 80's
Sugar drinks of massive size - and cheap
Basically a Swenson's Ice Cream store that served booze
Biggest hangover in my life afterwards
Never did that again
Never saw Koresh but did see hundreds of recruitable women there
LionBear
Coke Bear said:

MrGolfguy said:

Richland Fashion Mall was the official name the first couple decades i believe.
Very true. I remember joking at the time that they change the name to "Richland Mall" that there was NO fashion there.

I turned 21 at the December of 1990. I enjoyed Chelsea's Street Pub. I found out one night that puke can red when one drinks too many "Big Red Ones" on drink special. I do apologize now for what I did to that bathroom. It look like someone was killed with a shot gun.

Just posted the same thing. Those giant sugar drinks at Chelsea Street Pub were lethal. Worlds most violent barfing and reality bending hangovers were the norm after a night there.
WacoKelly83
I remember the Super Nachos (Mountain of Nachos?) at Chelsea Street . Only nachos I ever had with cocktail weenies in them.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU

I remember those nachos. Koresh did hang out on air guitar nights. He also bought groceries at Safeway 704 at the corner of VM and Bosque early Sat. mornings. Usually it was 2 or three carts and close to $100;
Griz
Was there a Piccadilly in Richland Mall in addition to the Lake Air Mall location?
WacoKelly83
Yes. It's where Dick's sporting goods is now. There was also a location downtown prior to both mall locations
Pseudo3D
The one thing that I could find that Richland Mall may have been unique in was that according to a 1990 phone book, there was "Sears Bakery Deli Cafe" inside the Sears store, different from the coffee shops of yore.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.