Chef Geoffrey Michael passes away.

4,275 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Sampi82
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Great Chef Geoffrey Michael passed away yesterday. Many of us and our families have lots of great memories with him at the Water Works Restaurant. He was ahead of his time. Man he could cook! I'm very saddened by this news.

Posted by his son, Graham on Geoffrey's Facebook Page

Hello Friends,
It is with a very heavy heart that I make this post to inform you that my beloved dad and friend to so many, Chef Geoffrey passed away early this morning at 1:55AM ending his 24-year battle with cancer. Marcia and I were by his side as he passed on peacefully and we are so grateful to have spent his last days on earth with him. My dad had an extraordinary life and so many of you have played a huge part in it. We are so thankful for all-of-the care, support and love that so many have given to him and my family over the years. We will be having a Celebration of his amazing life and will have more details to share with everyone very soon.
Thank you to everyone for the calls, texts and emails of support during this trying time. We would not have made it through this without all of you. We know there will be a huge celebration and feast tonight with God's newest Chef as he joins my sister Gabrielle and so many other recently departed friends and loved ones in Heaven.
Thank you and we love you all,
Graham
I'm a Bearbacker
Big12Bear
Really sorry to hear that terrible news, but glad that he is at peace and pain-free now.

He actually posted a few times on the old Baylorfans site as ChefGeoff.

Prayers to his family. RIP Geoff.
CTbruin
I'll never forget the opening of the Water Works. We had nothing like it in Waco.

RIP Chef Geoff
Bexar Pitts
Just Great memories of the Water Works. RIP Chef Geoff
Yogi
RIP Chef Geoff

Loved his spices, as well.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
WacoKelly83
Yogi said:

RIP Chef Geoff

You can still buy them at HEB
beerman
Spicet, IMO, is the single-most "complete" spice ever made for beef, chicken, pork and fish. I have been giving it as Xmas gifts for years to clients all over the country who love to Bbq and every single one starts ordering it on their own.

He was a cutting-edge chef, that's for sure. Peace to his family.
beerman
WacoKelly83 said:

Yogi said:

RIP Chef Geoff

You can still buy them at HEB

If you see Spicet, buy as much as you can, it goes fast and often it takes weeks to replenish. I'm sure I'm part of the problem, I buy them out of it 2-3x per year.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Spicet
MSG and I are not friends (migraine inducing).

You can buy Spicet online.
The Original Spicet | Chef Geoffrey Michael Products (mysimplestore.com)

Including a 5 pound bulk package.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Rletbetter
I loved the Water Works! Just bought some spice in his honor!
Stranger
From Geoffrey's son

Hi Friends, here is the update I promised with information on Dad's upcoming Celebration of Life. We look forward to any photos or stories you have to share.

https://www.lakeshorefuneralhome.com/geoffrey-michael/

Memorial Service: 10:00 a.m. Saturday, December 19, at Oak Grove Baptist Church, 614 Oak Grove Loop, China Spring

Committal Graveside Service: Wortham Bend Cemetery with lunch provided by the members of Oak Grove Baptist immediately following.

"Chef" Geoffrey Michael ended his 24 year battle with cancer on December 14, 2020, surrounded by his precious family. Geoffrey's life has impacted the lives of thousands with his gracious wit and charm. He was not only an icon in Central Texas but a beloved husband, a world-class father, a man of faith, a mentor, and a dear friend to so many. He quite literally, wore many hats! To most, he was a Master Chef, TV personality, entrepreneur, and friendly face to everyone he passed. But he was also a life-line for many when they found themselves elbow-deep in an ambitious endeavor in their own kitchen or life for that matter.

He was born to Robert and Elaine Goodman on August 23, 1940, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was preceded in death by his cherished daughter, Gabrielle Michael, his Fathers, Mack Latz, and Robert Goodman as well as his Mother, Elaine Latz.
He is survived by his wife of 22 years, Marcia Michael, his son, Graham Michael, his brothers Gordon & Andrew Latz and their families, his step-daughter Ashleigh Russell and Granddaughter Ariella Russell, his siblings by marriage, Keenan Moore and Justine Slaughter along with their families, Judi Michael, Mother of Gabrielle and Graham Michael and God Grandson, Silas Afflerbaugh.

He will be remembered for his culinary wizardry, his general flair for life, and his line of seasonings that are present with us every time we are seated at our tables. Our "Cowboy-Chef" is sorely missed.

Additionally, the family is asking for anyone and everyone with photos or stories to share!
I'm a Bearbacker
Stranger
Geoffrey's rules

The Rules of the Chef

The Chef is right.
The Chef is always right.
The Chef does not sleep, he rests.
The Chef does not eat, he nourishes himself.
The Chef doesn't drink, he tastes.
The Chef is never late, he is delayed.
The Chef never leaves the service, he is called away.
If you enter The Chefs office with your own idea, you leave with his.
The Chef doesn't have a relationship with his secretary, he educates her.
It is forbidden for Chefs to marry in order that their numbers should not increase.
The Chef is always the Chef even in his swimming costume.
If you criticize the Chef, you criticize The Almighty.
I'm a Bearbacker
91 Bear
His late daughter, Gabby, attended BU. She was one cool chic. Chef cooked some great meals at Water Works and the Brazos Queen. One of a kind.
Stranger
91 Bear said:

His late daughter, Gabby, attended BU. She was one cool chic. Chef cooked some great meals at Water Works and the Brazos Queen. One of a kind.

Geoffrey named his favorite spice, Gabrielle, after his late daughter. He never got over losing her.
I'm a Bearbacker
br53
Stranger said:

91 Bear said:

Geoffrey named his favorite spice, Gabrielle, after his late daughter. He never got over losing her.
Most parents dont.
Stranger
br53 said:

Stranger said:

91 Bear said:

Most parents dont.

True. I lost my older daughter 24 years ago.
I'm a Bearbacker
BUwolverine2012
Stranger said:

br53 said:

Stranger said:

91 Bear said:

Most parents dont.

i'm sorry to hear this. prayers to you.
Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
PartyBear
Stranger said:

br53 said:

Stranger said:

91 Bear said:

Most parents dont.

I'm very sorry Stranger and to anyone else's here with that experience. I know it sounds hollow because no one can relate to that who has not experienced it (I do know that much from someone who also experienced this). But Stranger and any others out there may peace be with you and your family.
WacoKelly83
Stranger said:

91 Bear said:

Shrimp Gabrielle was the bomb. I loved his mushroom and cheese appetizer too. Anyone happen to have that recipe? It was awesome.
PartyBear
Where all was he a chef?
WacoKelly83
PartyBear said:

Where all was he a chef?

Here's a bio on his product website. I'm sure it's not complete but it's a good start
https://chefgeoffreymichaelproducts.mysimplestore.com/about
Bexar Pitts
PartyBear said:

Stranger said:

br53 said:

Stranger said:

91 Bear said:

Most parents dont.

I'm very sorry Stranger and to anyone else's here with that experience. I know it sounds hollow because no one can relate to that who has not experienced it (I do know that much from someone who also experienced this). But Stranger and any others out there may peace be with you and your family.
Amen.
Pronto Tonto
I worked at KWTX Channel 10 in the 80's and he was a regular on the noon show. Very nice gentleman, always with a smile.
Sampi82
Sorry to hear this.

Worked at Waterworks initially as waiter and then on to bartending. Back when bars in Waco shut down at midnight Sun thru Friday and 1am Sat. Bartended Sunday brunch one summer when Geoffrey would sometimes cook non-menu items for special guests and sometimes for employees. Came to Waco I believe after being Head Chef at the Royal Orleans Hotel in NO.
“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.