Remodel recommendations

2,386 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ludwig von Missi
Bearicade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are about to begin an extensive remodel of our home prior to selling.

First, we are looking for recommendations for someone to remove and replace all exterior siding.

We will then tackle bathrooms and kitchen.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: we are in the Waco area
I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
4th and Inches
I know Mike (Redfish) is in remodeling/construction...
Nguyen One Soon
I'm sure you know you won't recover all your costs when you sell. I did a complete kitchen remodel a couple of years prior to selling, but the new kitchen was what helped the house sell quickly.
CTbruin
Redfish is very good.

I have also used Twin Tree Services at Homestead Heritage. They are very good
redfish961
Bearicade said:

We are about to begin an extensive remodel of our home prior to selling.

First, we are looking for recommendations for someone to remove and replace all exterior siding.

We will then tackle bathrooms and kitchen.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: we are in the Waco area
Feel free to give me a shout, if you'd like.

We do all of that and more.

Free estimate, plenty of references (including several on this board), and plenty of photos of similar type work.

Mike Dewey (254) 652-1376.
BCL79
I don't know your situation, of course, but be careful about remodeling before selling. I'm not in the Waco market, but I am a realtor and I have seen some very sad people after a remodel and the lack of a return on investment. I encourage you to talk to a competent realtor in your area. Good luck!
BaylorGuy314
Don't remodel prior to selling. Remodel if you are going to stay.

If you are trying to sell, freshen it up. Do the deferred maintenance, especially if it's obvious. New carpet (cheap and makes a big difference). Fresh paint. Landscaping is a big deal- keep it super simple and everything cut way back.

I've seen people drop $50K+ into a remodel because they felt like their home was not updated enough to sell only to overprice the home to try to get their money back and it not sell - or sell at a price that made the remodel a bad decision.

4th and Inches
Houses that have been remodeled within the last five years and houses that are already at the standard of the other houses in the neighborhood don't require much more than lipstick refinish work to sell. Replace any fixture that looks worn or rusty, make sure all appliances match in color.

Get a quality real estate agent to tell you what you should do to make your house ready to sell. Think about spending the money on a home inspector telling you what's wrong with your house before you put it on the market so you can fix the cheap and easy items and the obvious red flags thag would prevent a quick sell.

Make sure your house is staged well and make sure you get really good pictures of your house posted online, so many houses out there have terrible pictures that somebody did with an cellphone camera(wrong angles, bad lighting, cluttered looking)

If you do an extensive remodel, try not to make it look like you just pick things out walking down the aisle at Home Depot. People will notice that...
Gobearsgo0960
BCL79 said:

I don't know your situation, of course, but be careful about remodeling before selling. I'm not in the Waco market, but I am a realtor and I have seen some very sad people after a remodel and the lack of a return on investment. I encourage you to talk to a competent realtor in your area. Good luck!
Great input. As a mortgage lender in Texas I have seen the other side of this when someone finds that dream home and it doesn't appraise for what they need it to. Be smart with your upgrades and figure out what will bring the most value to your home. Best of luck!
1outawayBear
curbio is a great company

check them out

dont pay them till it closes for renovation costs, they make sure to leave room for pitfalls etc market changes.

they haven't had a client had to pay any money at closing in the over 1,000 renovations they have done bc of their model.
sipembeers
BaylorGuy314 said:

If you are trying to sell, freshen it up. Do the deferred maintenance, especially if it's obvious. New carpet (cheap and makes a big difference). Fresh paint. Landscaping is a big deal- keep it super simple and everything cut way back.

I've seen people drop $50K+ into a remodel because they felt like their home was not updated enough to sell only to overprice the home to try to get their money back and it not sell - or sell at a price that made the remodel a bad decision.

I just had a client put 200K+ into their home and only get 70k increase in appraised value... brutal.
trey3216
sipembeers said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

I just had a client put 200K+ into their home and only get 70k increase in appraised value... brutal.
Yikes
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Yogi
BaylorGuy314 said:

Agreed.

Plus, if you're a guy like me, you normally want to do your own renovations of a residence. I am kind of particular about stuff. As a buyer, all I need to see is the bones, but I come from a long line of carpenters and woodworkers (my father, in fact, did all the woodwork in the renovation of Carol Science back in the 1980's). When, I get in there, that's when I make it mine - in terms of flooring, decor, shiplap, etc... ha ha
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Ludwig von Missi
I can vouch for redfish961. Give him a shout. He's a great friend, but he also did great work for us on a renovation!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.