Waco History: Babe Ruth and a One-legged Pitcher at Katy Park

5,523 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 1outawayBear
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Professional baseball graced downtown Waco in the form of Katy Park, in the block south of the current day Silos at Magnolia. Originally built in 1889, Katy Park hosted a Pittsburgh Pirates affiliate, the Baylor Bears, the Texas League champion Waco Navigators, a few independent teams and a host of Major League exhibition games.

Some of the notable games included:
  • Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig led the 1929 Yankees against the Chicago Cubs in an exhibition game. There were so many people that officials let 1000 fans stand in right field where Babe Ruth would hit a double. Fans had to help recover the ball. During the game, Babe signed autographs while standing near the fans.
  • The Detroit Tigers defeated the Waco Cubs
  • The St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Waco Cubs
  • The Negro League Kansas City Monarchs played the Waco Black Cardinals in one of the first night games in Waco.
  • In 1930, Gene Rye set a professional baseball record that stands to this day by hitting 3 home runs in the same inning including a solo, a two-run home run, and a grand slam.

In addition, Katy park also hosted
  • a visit and speech by Teddy Roosevelt
  • spring training for the 1912 Chicago White Sox
  • a Joe Lewis pro boxing exhibition match - incidentally, Joe Lewis announced his retirement in Waco just before the match

IN 1947, the Waco Dons featured Monty Stratton, a one-legged pitcher. Monty was an MLB level pitcher before losing his leg in a hunting accident. Monty famously threw a shutout in 1947 against the Paris Red Peppers. He would even run the bases while a batboy kept track of his wooden leg.

In 1953, Katy Park was destroyed by the Waco Tornado and not rebuilt. Today, Chip and Joanna Gaines have memorialized Katy Park and it has been reborn as a whiffle ball field at the Magnolia complex.

Sources and more info:
https://wacohistory.org/items/show/111
http://digitalballparks.com/Texas/Waco5.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy_Park

On a side note: When I was at Baylor, my roommate and I lived in the apartments next to the FBC parking lot. We spent alot of summer nights hitting pop flies to each other on this field never knowing we were playing where Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe Lewis and Teddy Roosevelt stood.

Eleven-League Grant
Great, great info and pics. Thanks for posting those.

It's interesting to realize that 100 years ago Waco was a pretty big deal. I imagine that the ALICO Building (tallest building west of the Mississippi when it was built in 1911, IIRC) was another sign of our city's past importance.

Who knows what the future holds? With the way that Texas cities are growing, and our location on I-35, we may eventually re-visit some of that prominence.
Nguyen One Soon
Great post, but you delayed the tornado by three years. It was 1953.
Edmond Bear
Nguyen One Soon said:

Thank you. I have corrected to 1953 in the OP.
forza orsi
Waco businessman Joe Kemendo shown with Babe Ruth was a distant relative of mine. Part of the Sicilian clan. Before he was Joe Kemendo he was Salvatore Chimento.
Bexar Pitts
Thanks so much for the post! Thought I'd add just a bit more "stuff" https://wacohistory.org/items/show/111
Bearicade
I was told Katy park was inside Magnolia property and they placed the home plate of their new wiffle ball field in the exact spot of the original Katy Park home plate.
I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Edmond Bear
Bearicade said:

I was told Katy park was inside Magnolia property and they placed the home plate of their new wiffle ball field in the exact spot of the original Katy Park home plate.

It was at 8th and Webster. There is a Veteran's building or Postal something there.

The Magnolia Katy Park home plate is closer to 6th and Jackson.
Bexar Pitts
Edmond Bear said:

Bearicade said:

It was at 8th and Webster. There is a Veteran's building or Postal something there.

You could feel the rumble from the trains as they passed by.
whitetrash
Edmond Bear said:

Bearicade said:

Katy Park occupied the block where now is the Magnolia coffee shop, furniture store, and the "new" buildings and church they moved and erected there. Webster on the SE side (across from VA office and diagonal from the Findery that used to be Baby Percy Medicine), silos on the NE side and the RR tracks on the NW side. I believe the 1st base line was parallel to the RR tracks. Diagonally across the tracks to the west was the Katy depot where the bus transfer station now stands.
Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

Edmond Bear said:

Bearicade said:

Katy Park occupied the block where now is the Magnolia coffee shop, furniture store, and the "new" buildings and church they moved and erected there. Webster on the SE side (across from VA office and diagonal from the Findery that used to be Baby Percy Medicine), silos on the NE side and the RR tracks on the NW side. I believe the 1st base line was parallel to the RR tracks. Diagonally across the tracks to the west was the Katy depot where the bus transfer station now stands.
You are correct on 1st base line being parallel to the tracks!
Baylor3216
forza orsi said:

Waco businessman Joe Kemendo shown with Babe Ruth was a distant relative of mine. Part of the Sicilian clan. Before he was Joe Kemendo he was Salvatore Chimento.

What kind of business was he in? How'd he end up in Waco? Fascinating
forza orsi
Baylor3216 said:

forza orsi said:

The article referred to him as "Waco businessman," but he just owned a barber shop. He was said to be a walking baseball encyclopedia, so I'm not surprised that he'd come out to see the Babe. And he was actually Antonino Sebastiano Chimento before being Joe Kemendo - I confused him with his cousin at first. He was born in Sicily and came here when he was 9. As for how he ended up in Waco, Sicilian immigrants tended to be clannish, going in groups to the same places in America. There were quite a few from the same 2 square mile area in western Sicily that came to central Texas. The farmers ended up in Highbank, outside of Marlin and the businessmen went to Waco, but they stayed connected. Waco Sicilian boys used to go to Marlin on Saturday nights to go dancing and meet Sicilian farmers' daughters. The ones that went into business here were mostly barbers, grocers, and shoemakers. Joe's family was one of the few Italian families here from outside that little square in Sicily, being from Alia, about 20 miles to the east, so I'm not sure how he ended up here. A couple of the Kemendos married into my extended family.
vg1984
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wacotrib.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/e6/ee676662-0b36-585e-997b-fcc48becee17/5bf8dec6662a3.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C906
Yogi
Nguyen One Soon said:

Interestingly enough, at the time of the tornado, the KATY railroad happened to have a locomotive parked right beside Katy Park, which would have been very unusual at the time. Two men inside Katy park actually had their lives saved by the locomotive because they were able to use it for shelter at the time the tornado hit the park.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
br53
forza orsi said:

Baylor3216 said:

forza orsi said:

The article referred to him as "Waco businessman," but he just owned a barber shop. He was said to be a walking baseball encyclopedia, so I'm not surprised that he'd come out to see the Babe. And he was actually Antonino Sebastiano Chimento before being Joe Kemendo - I confused him with his cousin at first. He was born in Sicily and came here when he was 9. As for how he ended up in Waco, Sicilian immigrants tended to be clannish, going in groups to the same places in America. There were quite a few from the same 2 square mile area in western Sicily that came to central Texas. The farmers ended up in Highbank, outside of Marlin and the businessmen went to Waco, but they stayed connected. Waco Sicilian boys used to go to Marlin on Saturday nights to go dancing and meet Sicilian farmers' daughters. The ones that went into business here were mostly barbers, grocers, and shoemakers. Joe's family was one of the few Italian families here from outside that little square in Sicily, being from Alia, about 20 miles to the east, so I'm not sure how he ended up here. A couple of the Kemendos married into my extended family.

My family knew the ones in Highbank. Dad hunted and fished on their land near the Brazos. Great people.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
Bexar Pitts
Yogi said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

Interestingly enough, at the time of the tornado, the KATY railroad happened to have a locomotive parked right beside Katy Park, which would have been very unusual at the time. Two men inside Katy park actually had their lives saved by the locomotive because they were able to use it for shelter at the time the tornado hit the park.
There was a short interview on the Waco City Cable Channel with a lady whose father owned Katy Park..also interviews with some Waco residents who frequented the Ballpark.A few members of the "knot hole gang" were interviewed as well.These folks were youngsters back in the day that would gather and watch the games through a hole in the outfield wall..Really interesting piece of film. Don't know for sure, but it may be archived on the Waco website for viewing..
1outawayBear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.