Waco Snow History

3,015 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bearicade
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
https://www.weather.gov/fwd/wmosnow
gobears20
Staff
trey3216
gobears20 said:

Top 9, or 11, whatever.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
4th and Inches
Wife and I were discussing this over the weekend and we both recalled 1982 being the last "big" snow in Waco...
NOVA Bear
There was a pretty decent snow in December of 1989. I was a freshman at Baylor and it snowed during exam week. The campus looked beautiful with about an inch or two of snow. It was late in the week so many students had already finished up. I lived in Brooks and they turned the heaters off assuming all the students were gone, but there were still a few of us with a Saturday exam that had to convince facilities to turn the heat on for one more night.
PTGHUNTER
That must be the year I had a test late in the test cycle and I took my last test and decided to stay in Waco that night before I drove to Dallas the next day.

I woke up the next day and the whole state was covered in snow and ice.

I drove to Dallas and you really couldn't change lanes because there were tire ruts formed in the ice, in each lane, and once in a rut it was hard to change lanes.

I was thankful for the ruts because it was at least keeping cars on the road. I got to Dallas and I-20 was a sheet of ice and I was longing for those ruts.

That was a long stressful drive.

PartyBear
I recall a large snow storm in about February perhaps late January of 85. That keeps being left off the list. My memory of that one was that it was bigger than the one this past Sunday. I remember it being about like the 82 one. I'm not sure why it keeps being left off of this lists of records.
MrGolfguy
PartyBear said:

I recall a large snow storm in about February perhaps late January of 85. That keeps being left off the list. My memory of that one was that it was bigger than the one this past Sunday. I remember it being about like the 82 one. I'm not sure why it keeps being left off of this lists of records.
It just missed the cut apparently. In the link in the OP it shows that Waco got just under 3 inches in Jan/Feb 1985.
whitetrash
MrGolfguy said:

PartyBear said:

It just missed the cut apparently. In the link in the OP it shows that Waco got just under 3 inches in Jan/Feb 1985.
I was in Dallas in grad school in 1985, but there were two snowstorms that hit that year--one on the afternoon/evening of New Years Day and another on either Feb 7 or Feb 14. I'm pretty sure both of these made it as far south as Waco.
redfish961
MrGolfguy said:

PartyBear said:

The fish always get bigger, lol.
Chipoople
It snowed in freakin April when I was a senior in 2007.
saabing bear
I was 8 in '64. That had to be one of the years I spent playing in the snow on the Hillcrest Elementary playground.
BUClassof91
woooo that. was some history!
baylor1984
Thank God for the Jan of 82 snow storm. School was announced that it was closed on Monday so we threw a big party at our apartment on Sunday night. Ended up meeting my wife that night ( married in August of 83).
Tylerbear
December of 1929 was a crazy time.

Shakesbear
I was there for #2. We "Skied Waco" out near MCC on a steep hill road in front of my buddies house. Even built jumps Fun times!
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
4th and Inches
We may hit top 10 twice in the same year...
gobears20
Staff
Bearicade
Chance to set the all time record for lowest high temp. Let's gooooooooo!
PartyBear
These things always posted about records in Waco by local media Im thinking are always inaccurate. I always thought I remembered it getting down to about 0 or -4 in December of 89. But never saw that mentioned anywhere when records were discussed by local weather folks. I was beginning to think it was some sort of false memory I created. But low and behold there I see it listed for the first time.

Btw the lowest high during this snap is today at about 24 according to my weather app so it doesn't look like it will break the record lowest high. In terms of low it looks like the 0 or below lows forecasted a few days ago have been revised to about 8 now. Thankfully I might add.
Bearicade

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.