Waco History: Buried upright with a six-shooter in one hand and whiskey in the other

2,050 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SSadler
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The rumor from the day is that the colorful Telephus Telemachus Louis Augustus Albartus Johnson was buried upright in the crypt below sitting at a table with a six-shooter in one hand and a bottle of whiskey in the other.

?resize=1200%2C886

"Tel" Johnson's body (no relation) was later moved to Oakwood Cemetery. He was a legend so big that one grave could not hold him.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/history/tomb-of-colorful-early-wacoan-gets-facelift-after-146-years/article_39047fcc-629f-11eb-94a4-3b976a84f15d.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Named by his father, a Methodist Minister, Tel and his bride Mary moved to Waco in 1852 and within 10 years, the Johnsons were one of the wealthiest families in the area. Tel and Mary owned nearly 760 acres on the East side of the Brazos and much of the town square. The Johnsons built a home at 2nd and Mary Avenue.

The home is gone but Johnson's influence isn't. Current day Mary Avenue is named after his bride, Mary Johnson. And, Johnson strongly influenced the location of the County Courthouse. So, the next time you are having dinner at Hecho...or standing in front of a county judge...think of Telephus, and have a shot of whiskey.

Sources: Hidden History of Waco by Eric Ames, Waco Trib 02/01/21

Note: Tel's great-grandson in the Trib story is from Edmond but it's not me.

Yogi
Edmond Bear said:

The rumor from the day is that the colorful Telephus Telemachus Louis Augustus Albartus Johnson was buried upright in the crypt below sitting at a table with a six-shooter in one hand and a bottle of whiskey in the other.

?resize=1200%2C886

"Tel" Johnson's body (no relation) was later moved to Oakwood Cemetery. He was a legend so big that one grave could not hold him.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/history/tomb-of-colorful-early-wacoan-gets-facelift-after-146-years/article_39047fcc-629f-11eb-94a4-3b976a84f15d.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Named by his father, a Methodist Minister, Tel and his bride Mary moved to Waco in 1852 and within 10 years, the Johnsons were one of the wealthiest families in the area. Tel and Mary owned nearly 760 acres on the East side of the Brazos and much of the town square. The Johnsons built a home at 2nd and Mary Avenue.

The home is gone but Johnson's influence isn't. Current day Mary Avenue is named after his bride, Mary Johnson. And, Johnson strongly influenced the location of the County Courthouse. So, the next time you are having dinner at Hecho...or standing in front of a county judge...think of Telephus, and have a shot of whiskey.

The current courthouse, though, was built in 1902 and was built at the original location of St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church at 6th and Washington. So, I doubt he selected the spot of that courthouse - but maybe he did decide the general vicinity (back towards Columbus).

Where was the original courthouse located?

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Edmond Bear
Yogi said:

Edmond Bear said:

?resize=1200%2C886

The current courthouse, though, was built in 1902 and was built at the original location of St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church at 6th and Washington. So, I doubt he selected the spot of that courthouse - but maybe he did decide the general vicinity (back towards Columbus).

Where was the original courthouse located?

You are probably right. After your post I found that Waco has had 4 courthouses. The one that Tel influenced was started in 1874 and completed in 1875. I cannot find the actual location but I found a note in the 'Hidden History' book that Tel wanted the courthouse somewhere near a property of his at 2nd and Franklin.

The 1877 courthouse is below. Freaking gorgeous. But, Waco quickly outgrew it.

It's worth clicking through the link.

CammoTX
I thought this was a country song
Mr Tulip
"Named by his father, a Methodist minister" is an inadequate explanation. I've known several Methodist ministers, and their kids are named things like "Ben" or "Chris".

You can't just pass off a moniker like that with "his dad was a preacher", and leave it there.
CorsicanaBear
Telephus was the son of Heracles and Auge. Telemachus was the son of Odysseus and Penelope. Somebody liked stories from ancient Greece.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Good thread Edmund.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Robert Wilson
Good stuff. Six Shooter Junction.
SSadler
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Good thread Edmund.
I agree.

History and culture.

Always a great vantage point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.