Grocery competition for HEB

26,532 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
joseywales
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know why with Waco's growth we don't have more options for grocery shopping etc, like a Kroger etc..HEB has been slowly but surely eliminating great products and brands and replacing them with their brand....not their central market brand which is good but HEB..I can't find hardly any of the items I used to buy reguraly there...It is obvious they have quite the choke hold on Waco except for Walmart which really sucks....I refuse to buy the replacement HEB brand crap...who would I talk to to get information to get more legit competition into Waco and stop the HEB monopoly?
Stranger
Even with the presence of Wal-Mart, HEB owns over 82% of the Waco market.
I'm a Bearbacker
CTbruin
Stranger said:

Wal Mart? I'd rather buy groceries at PetCo
CTbruin
I am an HEB fan. Big Baylor supporters.

You might try Brookshires. Not HEB, but ok
Nguyen One Soon
A lot of the HEB, or even their Hill Country Fare items, are very good.
Eleven-League Grant
I accept that Walmart is not everyone's cup of tea, but depending upon location, and the time of day you are there, it can provide a better shopping experience than does HEB.

Certainly their aisles are wider than those at HEB and I find the customer density in the grocery area is lower than it is at HEB at the same time of day.

I've also found that, generally speaking, their prices are slightly lower than are those at HEB, but not significantly so.

On the downside, though, is their relentless shift to requiring self-checking. For a small number of items, that is certainly no big deal. If, however, you've got many items, that can be a bit tedious and inconvenient.

Also, if you're looking for the freshest meats and seafood, Walmart isn't your place, I'm afraid.

As with most other things, your mileage may vary.
CTbruin
Visit "People of Walmart.com".

That's why I don't go to Walmart
beardoc
CTbruin said:

Visit "People of Walmart.com".

That's why I don't go to Walmart
That's one of the best reasons to go to Walmart. Most places have a cover charge for tha kind of entertainment.
CammoTX
Waco needs a Whole Foods 365.
BylrFan
joseywales said:

Does anyone know why with Waco's growth we don't have more options for grocery shopping etc, like a Kroger etc..HEB has been slowly but surely eliminating great products and brands and replacing them with their brand....not their central market brand which is good but HEB..I can't find hardly any of the items I used to buy reguraly there...It is obvious they have quite the choke hold on Waco except for Walmart which really sucks....I refuse to buy the replacement HEB brand crap...who would I talk to to get information to get more legit competition into Waco and stop the HEB monopoly?
probably never, heb has driven out piggy wiggly, albertsons, safeway to name a few

hoping for a trader joes someday
trey3216
joseywales said:

Many H-E-B branded items are way better than their big-branded counterparts. I'll never buy regular Fritos for my chili again. That goes for 40-50 different things I eat regularly. And they're cheaper.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
redfish961
trey3216 said:

joseywales said:

Many H-E-B branded items are way better than their big-branded counterparts. I'll never buy regular Fritos for my chili again. That goes for 40-50 different things I eat regularly. And they're cheaper.
Same for me.

You can normally find what you want or a quality substitute and on occasion the quality substitute is better than what you originally wanted.

For me, options, price, and convenience will keep me a customer. They do a great job with that.
Bearly
I guess that if you cover the chips with chili, it doesn't make that much difference. But right out the bag, HEB generic doesn't match the original Fritos.

HEB puts Fritos on the bottom shelf and their own corn chips at eye level. IMO, It's worth reaching down to get the real thing.
EnglishBear
CammoTX said:

Whole Foods is great, but the 365 concept was a disaster. They're closing them all down.
trey3216
Bearly said:

I guess that if you cover the chips with chili, it doesn't make that much difference. But right out the bag, HEB generic doesn't match the original Fritos.

HEB puts Fritos on the bottom shelf and their own corn chips at eye level. IMO, It's worth reaching down to get the real thing.
i actually like them better than Fritos because they're not near as greasy or salty. They actually have a good taste.

But I can see why your normal American would prefer the over processed pile of garbage that are original Fritos.
Stranger
EnglishBear said:

CammoTX said:

Whole Foods is great, but the 365 concept was a disaster. They're closing them all down.

They said Waco is not big enough for a Whole Foods so they are going to open a Half Foods.
I'm a Bearbacker
lrwells50
joseywales said:

I would LOVE to have an HEB. We have what my daughter would call a ghetto Kroger, a Brookshires, and a Walmart. Brookshires selection is limited, and I haven't been inside Walmart in 5+years and don't intend to start, so I shop at Kroger. Forgot Aldis, which is fine if you want to go several times a week to see what they've got, but it's not what I would call a full service grocery store here.

Grass is always greener.
trey3216
joseywales said:

But to answer your first question: H-E-B is kicking Kroger's as up and down the field. Kroger cannot compete with them in any capacity, so that's why other chains are afraid of coming to waco, because H-E-B will beat their brakes off.
CorsicanaBear
I like HEB, but I want a Kroger in town just to keep them honest. The stores HEB stores in the Houston area are better because of competition. I am not a fan of the elimination of brands and replacement with house brands. Just about the time I find a product I like, its gone. If I wanted nothing but store brands I could shop at Aldi.

Walmart is ok for household/cleaning products, boxed/canned stuff but never, never, ever produce or meat.

If HEB is going to be a monopoly they need to get it in gear and replace the ghetto 19th street store with the long promised store at Lakeshore and China Spring Highway. I can't help but speculate that our city government is involved in keeping a store from opening there. They are openly (it's an announced goal with related tax and permitting policies) seeking to stymie growth outside the "core" of Waco. A new HEB at the corner of CSH and LS would be the focal point of a retail boom in the area and make additional residential development even more attractive.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Weston Rogers
As someone who works closely with every major grocer in the country it's not going to happen. Just look along I35 south of DFW there's nothing but HEB... Austin/Williamson County would be more likely if Kroger or Albertsons ever decided to compete in the region.

As for 19th and Lakeshore that's an HEB decision to not build, just a land grab that keeps smaller comp(Brookshire's/Brookshire Brothers) from building in China Spring area. Could change in 5-10 years of demo keeps trending to the area.
Bexar Pitts
Weston Rogers said:

As someone who works closely with every major grocer in the country it's not going to happen. Just look along I35 south of DFW there's nothing but HEB... Austin/Williamson County would be more likely if Kroger or Albertsons ever decided to compete in the region.

As for 19th and Lakeshore that's an HEB decision to not build, just a land grab that keeps smaller comp(Brookshire's/Brookshire Brothers) from building in China Spring area. Could change in 5-10 years of demo keeps trending to the area.
HEB has recently announced a remodel of the Wooded Acres store, which is now over 20 years old. My guess is a more "home delivery " geared store model..as the trend to that model is strong..( covid was a real accelerant) ..As more and more major retail groceries become self checkout oriented, I'm also wondering if they will cut jobs? Even unloading and stocking in major markets are becoming automated. With Amazon on the horizon in Waco, will HEB feel a little pinch from them if Amazon Prime grocery delivery comes directly out of their new Waco distribution facility? Lots of moving parts in play now....
fadskier
For the record, HEB didn't drive anyone out...consumers did. There's a REASON HEB is so big in Waco.

Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
CorsicanaBear
The HEB at Wooded Acres was a great store when it first opened, Central Market-esque in many ways. Now it's difficult to find premium brands, the meat and produce are not as good and it seems to be in a race to the lowest common denominator. In my opinion none of the other HEB's in town are as good as Wooded Acres at its former peak.

There are better HEB's out there. I'd like just one here.
BaylorHistory
Are we going to be getting some of the Whole Food same day delivery options when our Amazon distribution center opens?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Robert Wilson
Uh, because HEB dominates all of its competition. Pretty simple.
Robert Wilson
CorsicanaBear said:

The HEB at Wooded Acres was a great store when it first opened, Central Market-esque in many ways. Now it's difficult to find premium brands, the meat and produce are not as good and it seems to be in a race to the lowest common denominator. In my opinion none of the other HEB's in town are as good as Wooded Acres at its former peak.

There are better HEB's out there. I'd like just one here.
I agree with this. I believe the problem is us. HEB over time accommodates its locations to match the market. Welp.
Edmond Bear
CorsicanaBear said:

I
Walmart is ok for household/cleaning products, boxed/canned stuff but never, never, ever produce or meat.

You don't need a Kroger's. You need a Meat Market. Way better than any grocery store.
lrwells50
Edmond Bear said:

CorsicanaBear said:

I

You don't need a Kroger's. You need a Meat Market. Way better than any grocery store.

Actually our Kroger has very good meat, although some cuts you're limited to the days you can order.
trey3216
Edmond Bear said:

CorsicanaBear said:

I

We've got a pretty damn good meat market here.
ImwithBU
I've lived in several parts of Texas and outside of Texas. You will be hard pressed to find a better store than HEB
Showtime
HEB is great but I'd love a Sprouts or something similar.
CorsicanaBear
I've been to the meat market on Lake Air several times. Prices like Central Market in Dallas (or more), but in my opinion, not as good. Does not look as good in the case either, it looks dull compared to CM meats. Nobody in town, that I've found, can sell me a really good NY Strip.

"Hey, this ain't bad for Waco" only goes so far.

A good supermarket should have a great meat case too.

Quote:

I believe the problem is us.
Correct. Not enough people demanding quality products.
RightRevBear
lrwells50 said:

Edmond Bear said:

CorsicanaBear said:

I

Actually our Kroger has very good meat, although some cuts you're limited to the days you can order.
I grew up going to Kroger. It was kind of the HEB of the area. My parents still live there. Whenever they come in town they rave about how good HEB's are. I think it often depends on the individual store. You can have superstar stores with both brands. My experience has been that HEB is more consistent than Kroger overall. HEB is great grocery company overall. I think sometimes Texans take them for granted.

I also agree with the posters that have said that the issue is that HEB runs everyone out of business.
ABC BEAR
CTbruin said:

Stranger said:

Wal Mart? I'd rather buy groceries at PetCo
I can recommend the Doggie Donuts. After accidently eating one in 1976, I've been a big fan ever since. Seriously, shop at Aldi to supplement your big box store shopping. They beat the competition on most staples and actually have some decent one-time specials on overstock items.
hodedofome
This thread is funny. The future (and generally the present) is delivery. Amazon will win, H-E-B will have to find a way to stay relevant. Will be difficult when you get free delivery with your Prime subscription you already pay for. H-E-B will have to ask for an additional subscription, which will be a tough sell. And H-E-B will never be able to deliver ask quickly as Amazon.

Kroger, Albertsons, Brookshire's and all the other grocers will be in the same boat. Walmart will survive, but Amazon is a beast.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.