Grocery competition for HEB

26,996 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fadskier said:

For the record, HEB didn't drive anyone out...consumers did. There's a REASON HEB is so big in Waco.

Thank you. That's how g TV had free market system works: competition plus supply and demand. The other places left because everyone preferred HEB. Personally, I do toalthough I will go to Kroger, Walmart, & Aldi.
Pseudo3D
H-E-B's success in Waco has been longevity but also capitalizing on the failures of its predecessors.

Safeway? Divested its whole division as AppleTree, which sank in debt and went bankrupt a few years later.
Winn-Dixie? Series of bad business decisions in the 1990s and obsolete stores.
Albertsons? Never had much of a grip in Waco, except for one store they bought off of Skaggs. Also a victim of company issues when the company went private and started pruning stores.
Kroger? Never built a store here.
Bexar Pitts
I'm headed to a Waco HEB in an hour or so..I hope I don't have to line up outside like customers yesterday..Was told they limited customers inside due to so few employees that were able to get to work..We'll see how today goes..It's a "joint venture" for family and neighbors that can't get out for one reason or another. Perhaps those of us able to get out with reasonable safety should try to help a neighbor , friend or family member that's not able to venture out and truly needs food/supplies of some form? Just thinking out loud. :-)
historian
That's a great idea!

As for myself, the roads are too icy where I am so I am not going anywhere today. Thankfully I am well stocked and the things I need can wait.
Bexar Pitts
historian said:

That's a great idea!

As for myself, the roads are too icy where I am so I am not going anywhere today. Thankfully I am well stocked and the things I need can wait.
Wooded Acres HEB was crowded, but orderly..no carts..only hand baskets handed out at entry.Smart move...No bread..bagged veggies were in short supply..Plenty of meat. chicken, etc in meat market..Bottled water was selling but still available in ample amount at !0:30..Don't know how that will play out by evening..I'd call and ask first if that was only item I went for..Just dayum glad they were open..and appreciative of their effort to serve their customers..Time to make a pot of 5 alarm Chili ! Good luck to everyone..take care of the elderly/ shut ins, and your pets! Sic 'Em
Bexar Pitts
Newly announced limits.. https://newsroom.heb.com/product-purchasing-limits/
historian
I went to an HEB near me & they had lots of things but also plenty of empty shelves: produce, dairy, frozen foods, baking goods, etc. It reminded of last year when the hoarders went COVID mad.
Bexar Pitts
historian said:

I went to an HEB near me & they had lots of things but also plenty of empty shelves: produce, dairy, frozen foods, baking goods, etc. It reminded of last year when the hoarders went COVID mad.
HEB's Temple Warehouse will probably start delivering to stores again in some measure as soon as possible..Hopefully things will improve as power returns. Bell County has been particularly hard hit in this event.

BellCountyBear
Anyone know if Spec's in Temple is open?
trey3216
BellCountyBear said:

Anyone know if Spec's in Temple is open?

Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bexar Pitts
historian said:

Just FYI, just called Wooded Acres HEB and they are out of water..Still only allowing hand baskets for customers..no bread either..couldn't tell me when they'll be restocked...Hope this warm up gets their trucks rolling....open at 9 AM tomorrow...Just FYI if anyone's interested.
1outawayBear
My wife sent me to Aldi yesterday after someone in her moms group posted they had it around 5. By the time
I got there, it was 525 and all out. Walked into their cold storage and grabbed two whole mills and walked out of it.

Gotta do what you gotta do
ursamajor
HEB in woodway was pretty well stocked today on dry goods. No eggs, milk, frozen food, and little produce. Pretty good on meat, but not much cheese
Bexar Pitts
ursamajor said:

HEB in woodway was pretty well stocked today on dry goods. No eggs, milk, frozen food, and little produce. Pretty good on meat, but not much cheese
Ursa, can you use a cart ?
1outawayBear
Bexar Pitts said:

ursamajor said:

I went to it two days ago and they only had hand held baskets. Not sure about today
Bexar Pitts
1outawayBear said:

Bexar Pitts said:

ursamajor said:

I went to it two days ago and they only had hand held baskets. Not sure about today
Thanks! Guess it's best to call first and see if they've been restocked.
trey3216
Bexar Pitts said:

ursamajor said:

theyre getting multiple trucks tonight. They closed early so they can get the store restocked.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

ursamajor said:

theyre getting multiple trucks tonight. They closed early so they can get the store restocked.

Thanks for the info on why closed early. I just called the pharmacy to get more asthma meds and they said the pharmacy was closed at 5. I asked why and she didn't know.
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

ursamajor said:

Thanks for the info on why closed early. I just called the pharmacy to get more asthma meds and they said the pharmacy was closed at 5. I asked why and she didn't know.
the whole store closed at 5 today. They were doing a full clean out and getting pretty much a full store stock tonight from what I gathered.
historian
I went to my local HEB to get some things but the shelves were still empty for those items. Went to Walmart & got everything easily & at good prices. That's why people go there.
Bexar Pitts
trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

ursamajor said:

the whole store closed at 5 today. They were doing a full clean out and getting pretty much a full store stock tonight from what I gathered.
Thanks, trey! Really appreciate the information. Got some errands to run early, and then have to refill some fridge,shelf and cabinet spaces at home.
trey3216
historian said:

I went to my local HEB to get some things but the shelves were still empty for those items. Went to Walmart & got everything easily & at good prices. That's why people go there.
cool. And H-E-B will be locked and loaded by opening tomorrow, and they're an in state business. They've actually had product except for today and yesterday, and a lot of the reason they didn't t have product is because it was given to the hospitals and nursing homes to make sure they had product since it had to be off the floor. But now down at the feet of Wally and others.
Bexar Pitts
trey3216 said:

historian said:

cool. And H-E-B will be locked and loaded by opening tomorrow, and they're an in state business. They've actually had product except for today and yesterday, and a lot of the reason they didn't t have product is because it was given to the hospitals and nursing homes to make sure they had product since it had to be off the floor. But now down at the feet of Wally and others.
Tried going at 9AM..Wooded Acres store did indeed look like the early Covid days with the loooong line curled around the building. This one store serves such a large area of Waco that I decided to wait until tomorrow to go inside..I'm sure a lot of those folks had more urgent needs than me. It has probably settled down a lot by now..Just FYI.
Wrecks Quan Dough
I like HEB/Central Market for several reasons. First, their people are top notch. Generally pleasant and helpful. Second, when there is a disaster HEB has been there to help Texans. Third, the product quality is outstanding and a good value in my opinion.

Also, I believe they have their own disaster and risk mitigation team. When covid first hit, HEB was on top of sanitation and risk mitigation faster than the government. I have a lot of confidence in the experience when I shop at HEB.
canoso
SIAP

1/09/2021

HEB rated #1 grocery retailer in US by Dunnhumby in survey of 7,500 consumers across the country. That's among 60 chains nationwide.

My son and daughter have both lived in Waco but now live in Oregon and Minnesota respectively. Both miss HEB like you cannot believe!
historian
HEB is the best.
joseywales
Used to be the best but greed has taken over
Bexar Pitts
Went to Wooded Acres at 8AM...fairly well stocked with exception of bread...I'm sure they got cleaned out yesterday, but will probably restock as soon as they are able. Not overly crowded, but busy..Very pleased to find most everything I went for..Love the store and their great employees.
trey3216
joseywales said:

you're insane
BUbearinARK
trey3216 said:

joseywales said:

you're insane
You might think jw would be happy you can no longer buy mypillow products at HEB

Wrecks Quan Dough
BUbearinARK said:

trey3216 said:

joseywales said:

you're insane
You might think jw would be happy you can no longer buy mypillow products at HEB

I get the My Pillow products online. They have really good towels.
Nguyen One Soon
joseywales said:

Yeah, for sure. Greed is why they take their kitchens into areas after disasters and feed thousands of people. Or greed is why their store that lost power last week told everyone in the store just to take the groceries in their carts home at no charge. There is not a better corporate citizen around than HEB.
73s de N4WJP
Bexar Pitts said:

Went to Wooded Acres at 8AM...fairly well stocked with exception of bread...I'm sure they got cleaned out yesterday, but will probably restock as soon as they are able. Not overly crowded, but busy..Very pleased to find most everything I went for..Love the store and their great employees.
It's 10:50, and I just came from there. That was my experience too. I'm guessing closing early yesterday, then waiting until 9 to open made a big difference. It was busier than usual, but except for bread the shelves were pretty well stocked. Lots of check out registers open with a couple of extra "15 items or less" registers. My guess is by Tuesday all should be back to normal.
Bexar Pitts
73s de N4WJP said:

Bexar Pitts said:

It's 10:50, and I just came from there. That was my experience too. I'm guessing closing early yesterday, then waiting until 9 to open made a big difference. It was busier than usual, but except for bread the shelves were pretty well stocked. Lots of check out registers open with a couple of extra "15 items or less" registers. My guess is by Tuesday all should be back to normal.
I think so too. Carts were nice..I had lots of stuff to get. BTW, they did open at 8..Google showed 9, but I called late yesterday and a helpful young lady told me 8..
trey3216
Bexar Pitts said:

73s de N4WJP said:

Bexar Pitts said:

I think so too. Carts were nice..I had lots of stuff to get. BTW, they did open at 8..Google showed 9, but I called late yesterday and a helpful young lady told me 8..
They actually officially opened at 9 but we're letting people in around 8 to relieve the pressure of having too many lined up to get in all at once. Pretty commonplace for them actually

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.