Grocery competition for HEB

26,946 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hodedofome said:

This thread is funny. The future (and generally the present) is delivery. Amazon will win, H-E-B will have to find a way to stay relevant. Will be difficult when you get free delivery with your Prime subscription you already pay for. H-E-B will have to ask for an additional subscription, which will be a tough sell. And H-E-B will never be able to deliver ask quickly as Amazon.

Kroger, Albertsons, Brookshire's and all the other grocers will be in the same boat. Walmart will survive, but Amazon is a beast.
Agree that the trend is surely in that direction..HEB is resourceful, and I hope they can stay "relevant."
fadskier
hodedofome said:

This thread is funny. The future (and generally the present) is delivery. Amazon will win, H-E-B will have to find a way to stay relevant. Will be difficult when you get free delivery with your Prime subscription you already pay for. H-E-B will have to ask for an additional subscription, which will be a tough sell. And H-E-B will never be able to deliver ask quickly as Amazon.

Kroger, Albertsons, Brookshire's and all the other grocers will be in the same boat. Walmart will survive, but Amazon is a beast.
I disagree. It is much quicker for me to go to HEB and ick stuff up than to wait on Amazon. Additionally, Amazon take a few days so perishables could suffer. Finally, I stopped subscribing to Prime because the price that I was paying for items was the same price that I would buy from the manufactuer...for example, from the manufacturer, I would pay $15 plus let's say $10 shipping for a total of $25....Amazon would have the price at $25 plus free shipping

and finally, I'd much rather support a "local" store that employs my friends and neighbors than a beast.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Bexar Pitts
fadskier said:

hodedofome said:

I disagree. It is much quicker for me to go to HEB and ick stuff up than to wait on Amazon. Additionally, Amazon take a few days so perishables could suffer. Finally, I stopped subscribing to Prime because the price that I was paying for items was the same price that I would buy from the manufactuer...for example, from the manufacturer, I would pay $15 plus let's say $10 shipping for a total of $25....Amazon would have the price at $25 plus free shipping

and finally, I'd much rather support a "local" store that employs my friends and neighbors than a beast.
Not answering for another poster, but I would also rather support a "local" store. I used to go to HEB almost every day..and got to know employees and managers very well..I still go in person to shop, just not as often..I think we'll know more on the direction of their business model when we see how the remodel of the Wooded Acres store is designed..They are going to have to adapt to survive..it may not be an overnight "morph", but the direction is key..BTW, I miss the old full service gas station...each station had quite a few employees, but the business model necessitated a change..We'll see.
BaylorHistory
fadskier said:

hodedofome said:

Amazon's plan is not to take a few days for getting the product to you, but rather hours. Thats already in action in many cities.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
1outawayBear
Maybe so, but we will go in person till they can figure out actually giving us the stuff we actually ordered. Not a substitute or a different brand. I want the kind I requested. Why I told my wife to stop with curbside pickup bc it always ends in me having to go in to get all the **** they got wrong or subbed or said they didn't have but have in the store
Bexar Pitts
1outawayBear said:

Maybe so, but we will go in person till they can figure out actually giving us the stuff we actually ordered. Not a substitute or a different brand. I want the kind I requested. Why I told my wife to stop with curbside pickup bc it always ends in me having to go in to get all the **** they got wrong or subbed or said they didn't have but have in the store
I assume you're referencing HEB locally?
1outawayBear
Bexar Pitts said:

1outawayBear said:

Woodway HeB

But when we were in Dallas County during April and may of last year we'd get them delivered and it would always be wrong as well.
Nguyen One Soon
HEB has a 'Substitutions Allowed' checkbox. It defaults to being checked, but you can uncheck any that you are particular about. It may just be my store, but I get very few substitutions, and they notify me about each one in time to contact them.
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

Bexar Pitts said:

1outawayBear said:

Woodway HeB

But when we were in Dallas County during April and may of last year we'd get them delivered and it would always be wrong as well.
TO be fair, there was a horrific shortage of many items in April and May of last year. And you should uncheck the substitutions box since it's default setting is "substitutions allowed".
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bexar Pitts
trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

Bexar Pitts said:

1outawayBear said:

Woodway HeB

TO be fair, there was a horrific shortage of many items in April and May of last year. And you should uncheck the substitutions box since it's default setting is "substitutions allowed".
Good point, Trey..and I think HEB will become more proficient with their service as time goes by.
BaylorGuy314
It won't be long before the HEBs of the world offer delivery as well. I actually think they do already in limited markets within so many miles of their storefront.

Amazon is trying to get to hours, as mentioned, and that's realistic in major metro areas but probably less so in mid-sized towns and definitely not feasible in small towns.

The reality is - just like many, many industries - people are demanding more product or service for equal or less money. You have to become big to compete or offer a service or product the big boys can't/won't because that particular service/product doesn't scale and make monetary/logistical sense.

I doubt HEB goes away - they are on the cutting edge as far as grocery stores go. I do think a lot of smaller grocery chains are going to retreat (and probably still do adequate financially) where there is not the pressure of the major chains/Amazon. And I believe boutique groceries can make it but they have to have that additional service/product component that the Amazons/WalMarts/HEBs do not.
CorsicanaBear
HEB needs to up its game in terms of its apps and payment systems. The apps are not top quality to say the least. They need contactless pay (Apple/Android) at check out.
Illigitimus non carborundum
lrwells50
1outawayBear said:

Bexar Pitts said:

1outawayBear said:

Woodway HeB

Kroger sends me a text of anything that is unavailable, and I check whether I want the substitution or not.
lrwells50
BaylorGuy314 said:

It won't be long before the HEBs of the world offer delivery as well. I actually think they do already in limited markets within so many miles of their storefront.

Amazon is trying to get to hours, as mentioned, and that's realistic in major metro areas but probably less so in mid-sized towns and definitely not feasible in small towns.

The reality is - just like many, many industries - people are demanding more product or service for equal or less money. You have to become big to compete or offer a service or product the big boys can't/won't because that particular service/product doesn't scale and make monetary/logistical sense.

I doubt HEB goes away - they are on the cutting edge as far as grocery stores go. I do think a lot of smaller grocery chains are going to retreat (and probably still do adequate financially) where there is not the pressure of the major chains/Amazon. And I believe boutique groceries can make it but they have to have that additional service/product component that the Amazons/WalMarts/HEBs do not.
My Kroger offers delivery, and we're a town of 25,000. Hard for me to believe it's not available in a city the size of Waco.
canoso
The only other grocery store I'd like to see in Waco is Trader Joe's. Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread to see if already mentioned. They just have some things I've never seen in HEB or anywhere else, for that matter.
BylrFan
lrwells50 said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

My Kroger offers delivery, and we're a town of 25,000. Hard for me to believe it's not available in a city the size of Waco.
they do actually, they own favor and can ship 25 items and 15$ for the service.just checked with my address

https://favordelivery.com/order-delivery/h-e-b-5
BylrFan
hodedofome said:

something amazon can't deliver is fresh meats, frozen food, fresh vegetables, and everyday food goods. Interesting to see how these grocers react once amazon opens in Waco with 2hr delivery. Will possibly happen if whole foods is in the area but remains doubtful.
dave714
BylrFan said:

joseywales said:

Does anyone know why with Waco's growth we don't have more options for grocery shopping etc, like a Kroger etc..HEB has been slowly but surely eliminating great products and brands and replacing them with their brand....not their central market brand which is good but HEB..I can't find hardly any of the items I used to buy reguraly there...It is obvious they have quite the choke hold on Waco except for Walmart which really sucks....I refuse to buy the replacement HEB brand crap...who would I talk to to get information to get more legit competition into Waco and stop the HEB monopoly?
probably never, heb has driven out piggy wiggly, albertsons, safeway to name a few

hoping for a trader joes someday. They've all been gone for 20+ years

Edmond Bear
canoso said:

The only other grocery store I'd like to see in Waco is Trader Joe's. Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread to see if already mentioned. They just have some things I've never seen in HEB or anywhere else, for that matter.

Trader Joe's has been mentioned but it's worth mentioning again.

Our routine has become home delivery of dry goods, Sprouts for fruit and vegetables, a local meat market for proteins and Trader Joe's for cheap but good wine and whatever we find interesting.

1outawayBear
Edmond Bear said:

canoso said:

Trader Joe's has been mentioned but it's worth mentioning again.

Our routine has become home delivery of dry goods, Sprouts for fruit and vegetables, a local meat market for proteins and Trader Joe's for cheap but good wine and whatever we find interesting.

I drive to Dallas one a week for work and my wife has me stop at TJs every time

Man are they crazy strict about the exact number of people in there
Yogi
United Super will always be super.

Old Time Rock N' Roll plus the Produce Tunnel.

And who doesn't like the Produce Tunnel?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
lrwells50
BylrFan said:

lrwells50 said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

they do actually, they own favor and can ship 25 items and 15$ for the service.just checked with my address

https://favordelivery.com/order-delivery/h-e-b-5

Since the pandemic started, Kroger hasn't been charging for pickup. I haven't tried delivery, but I know it's available.
T-REX
Every trader joes i have ever been to has been in a higher income area. Idk wacos stats but I just don't see that being a worthy investment for TJ. Only one even close to me is in South Lake & im in keller area. Back in KC the only 2 were in Leawood, high income area, & on the border of Ks & MO which was also pretty much the part of town that was all old money & doctors. I just don't see Waco supporting a Trader Joe's how their back office would want.

Almost feel it is kinda the same for Whole Foods but that could change. Sorry to those who love Waco so much but it in reality isnt that nice of an area overall. It is growing but it is still far away imo from being what some like to think it is.

But then again I prefer metroplex type areas & will never live in waco. Did my 18 years growing up there & it just isnt my cup.of tea living wise.
T-REX
As for Kroger in Waco, i have always heard there was a gentlemens agreement between kroger & heb founders due to being college buddies. At least as to why no HEB in the dfw. idk if true.
BUbearinARK
T-REX said:

As for Kroger in Waco, i have always heard there was a gentlemens agreement between kroger & heb founders due to being college buddies. At least as to why no HEB in the but idk if true.
You never, never want HEB in the but
T-REX
BUbearinARK said:

T-REX said:

As for Kroger in Waco, i have always heard there was a gentlemens agreement between kroger & heb founders due to being college buddies. At least as to why no HEB in the but idk if true.
You never, never want HEB in the but
its in the name tho
SSadler
used to work (not grocery related) for the Butt family in San Antonio. Interesting year.

Most of you youn-uns probably don't know of the storied history of Howard Butt, Jr. and his "little" brother Charles. Quite an intriguing story of family/faith/money/who's in charge here kind of stuff between the two brothers. Older brother, Howard, Jr. was heir apparent to running the family business but felt called into the evangelistic preaching ministry. Little bother, Charles, determined the family business had no time for traveling evangelist CEO.

Little brother gained the CEO mantel and big brother, Howard set sail with the Billy Graham Crusade traveling show and the rest was history.

I never met Charles Butt in the year I worked for Howard/Leakey Retreat ministries, but Howard was as gracious a man as I've ever met.

Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

Most of you youn-uns probably don't know of the storied history of Howard Butt, Jr. and his "little" brother Charles. Quite an intriguing story of family/faith/money/who's in charge here kind of stuff between the two brothers.
Thanks for sharing your experience, and for the backstory.

I recall a time when HEB would not sell beer in its stores, and that sometime during the 1970's that policy changed. Would that change coincide with Charles' taking over management of the business?
Nguyen One Soon
It was 1976, five years after Charles took over from Howard Sr. Took that long to solidify his position enough to make such a radical change.
Bearicade
fadskier said:

hodedofome said:

Amazon Prime membership covers a LOT more than just product purchasing with free shipping.
Bearicade
CorsicanaBear said:

I like HEB, but I want a Kroger in town just to keep them honest. The stores HEB stores in the Houston area are better because of competition. I am not a fan of the elimination of brands and replacement with house brands. Just about the time I find a product I like, its gone. If I wanted nothing but store brands I could shop at Aldi.

Walmart is ok for household/cleaning products, boxed/canned stuff but never, never, ever produce or meat.

If HEB is going to be a monopoly they need to get it in gear and replace the ghetto 19th street store with the long promised store at Lakeshore and China Spring Highway. I can't help but speculate that our city government is involved in keeping a store from opening there. They are openly (it's an announced goal with related tax and permitting policies) seeking to stymie growth outside the "core" of Waco. A new HEB at the corner of CSH and LS would be the focal point of a retail boom in the area and make additional residential development even more attractive.
Why would the City be against all of the added tax revenue that HEB would add, not to mention all the added developments it would bring.
Michibear
If y'all ain't shopping ah the 99 Cents store, are you even grocerying?
Edmond Bear
Michibear said:

If y'all ain't shopping ah the 99 Cents store, are you even grocerying?

99 cent stores? Thanks for including the Tech grads in this conversation.
SSadler
Eleven-League Grant said:

Quote:

Most of you youn-uns probably don't know of the storied history of Howard Butt, Jr. and his "little" brother Charles. Quite an intriguing story of family/faith/money/who's in charge here kind of stuff between the two brothers.
Thanks for sharing your experience, and for the backstory.

I recall a time when HEB would not sell beer in its stores, and that sometime during the 1970's that policy changed. Would that change coincide with Charles' taking over management of the business?
Correct--at least that is my recall. As long as Mrs. Howard Butt, Sr. (family Matriarch and Mother of Charles and Howard, Jr.) was alive, the "no-beer" policy held. After her death Charles Butt, as CEO, began expanding (and selling beer and wine).
SSadler
CTbruin said:

I am an HEB fan. Big Baylor supporters.

You might try Brookshires. Not HEB, but ok
I drive past several HEB stores to shop at the Brookshire's in Robinson. Much smaller and fewer selections, obviously, but it's a much kinder, gentler, and less crowded parking lot and store aisles. No self-check outs. Four (?) checking lanes. Baggers will still bag and cart your groceries to your car if you need help.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.