A Little Memory Exercise!

3,727 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yogi
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't know if anyone can honestly remember all these..I couldn't. http://wacohistoryproject.org/remember.htm
Steve Sadler
Too many pre date me.

But I'm betting forza can ace this one.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I remember about 75% of them.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
2ndguesser
As a real oldtimer, I remember most of those plus:

Hank Thompson doing Kiddie Show at Waco Theater on Saturdays.
Reading comic books at Tarver's on 25th St.
Watching construction of 25th St theater, with workers catching glowing red-hot steel bolts
Eating bacon-wrapped steaks at Toddle House on Washington.
Lowest price gasoline was 14.9 cents per gallon at US Govt station.
Eating a Someburger on 25th.
Subscribing to Waco News Tribune daily for $1.10 or daily and Sunday for $1.40 per month.
Pool cost a dime...I believe "Rabbit" the racker was killed in the tornado of '53, with a dime clutched in his hand.
Watching Tom Landry of Texas get off a 67-yard punt at Muny Stadium in 1948.
Stood in line to see Harry Truman campaign from the back of a train ... then standing in line to see the Freedom Train.
Watching 7-foot Bob Kurland of Phillips 66ers barely beat Baylor's 1947-48 basketball team at Marrs McLean gym.
Learned algebra from Martha Leuschner at Waco High.
Talked to the crows at Cameron Park "zoo."
Bought cigarets for 19 cents a pack at Walgreens.
Eaten snowcones at Katy Park after climbing the left field fence to sneak in.
Nicknames of Jr High teams: North Eagles, West Yellow Jackets, South Panthers (?), East Lions (?)

2ndguesser
Bexar Pitts
2ndguesser said:

Watching construction of 25th St theater, with workers catching glowing red-hot steel bolts
Subscribing to Waco News Tribune daily for $1.10 or daily and Sunday for $1.40 per month.
Pool cost a dime...I believe "Rabbit" the racker was killed in the tornado of '53, with a dime clutched in his hand.
Stood in line to see Harry Truman campaign from the back of a train ... then standing in line to see the Freedom Train.
Watching 7-foot Bob Kurland of Phillips 66ers barely beat Baylor's 1947-48 basketball team at Marrs McLean gym.
Nicknames of Jr High teams: North Eagles, West Yellow Jackets, South Panthers (?), East Lions (?)

Great stuff !! I think you "stumped the band" with some of those! ( You certainly stumped me!) :-)
PartyBear
When was it that you took algebra from Martha Lueschner? I was a teen in the early 80s and recall her from 7th & James. Now keep in mind my perspective was that as a teen, but in my memory of her she appeared to have had to have been around 90 back then.
2ndguesser
Took algebra from Miss Leuschner 1949-50. She gave me a B, but I deserved a C. In those days 94-100 was an A at Waco High....86-93 was a B.

She never wanted anyone to fail and spent extra time with slow students.
2ndguesser
Bexar Pitts
2ndguesser said:

Took algebra from Miss Leuschner 1949-50. She gave me a B, but I deserved a C. In those days 94-100 was an A at Waco High....86-93 was a B.

The one that I'm drawing a complete blank on is the 'Someburger on 25th." Where on 25th was this located? Thanks for your excellent posts!
2ndguesser
Bexar Pitts said:

2ndguesser said:

The one that I'm drawing a complete blank on is the 'Someburger on 25th." Where on 25th was this located? Thanks for your excellent posts!
Across street from Dairy Queen, where Ed's Auto Glass is now. Used to get pineapple milk shake at DQ for two bits and cross street for large two-bit burger.
2ndguesser
PartyBear
That is a cool list: You saw Tom Landry play against Baylor. That's pretty interesting.
Bexar Pitts
2ndguesser said:

Bexar Pitts said:

2ndguesser said:

Across street from Dairy Queen, where Ed's Auto Glass is now. Used to get pineapple milk shake at DQ for two bits and cross street for large two-bit burger.
Can't believe I missed the Someburger! I know that area, as I frequented Johnny Morrow's Bar-B-Que..It was in a tiny little building that sat very close to the street ..He started the "Gut Pak" type craze with his Beanie-Q way back when! MC's 25 was just down the street.. close by the 25th Street Theater. Thanks for the memories..they are outstanding! EDIT: Someburger wasn't in that same tiny little building was it?
2ndguesser
Bexar Pitts said:

2ndguesser said:

Bexar Pitts said:

2ndguesser said:

Can't believe I missed the Someburger! I know that area, as I frequented Johnny Morrow's Bar-B-Que..It was in a tiny little building that sat very close to the street ..He started the "Gut Pak" type craze with his Beanie-Q way back when! MC's 25 was just down the street.. close by the 25th Street Theater. Thanks for the memories..they are outstanding! EDIT: Someburger wasn't in that same tiny little building was it?
I grew up on Gorman Ave. and 25th Street was great. My mother shopped at Piggly Wiggly and I learned the joy of playing pinball at the drug store across the street. I left Waco for good in 1954 (Army), returned many times for short visits. I remember Johnny Morrow but not his BBQ place.
2ndguesser
Bexar Pitts
2ndguesser said:

Bexar Pitts said:

2ndguesser said:

Bexar Pitts said:

2ndguesser said:

I grew up on Gorman Ave. and 25th Street was great. My mother shopped at Piggly Wiggly and I learned the joy of playing pinball at the drug store across the street. I left Waco for good in 1954 (Army), returned many times for short visits. I remember Johnny Morrow but not his BBQ place.
Yep, Johnny Morrow was a colorful character in Waco's past. His first BBQ place was down on 9th, and then he moved out to the 25th St. location later. I really appreciate your wealth of knowledge of our City's history! Always interesting to learn about and from the past! Thank you!
toughbear
Fabulous- great memories
forza orsi
SSadler1 said:

Too many pre date me.

But I'm betting forza can ace this one.

I can say yes to some of these, and I know a lot of stuff from my parents, grandparents, and in-laws, but I might not be as old as you think. The Waco Pirates left town the year before I was born.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Great thread and good to know I am not the oldest guy around.

Anybody remember the house that stood at the Waco Drive and Franklin split where the big Toy store was later built? Small house with a huge tree beside it. There were almost always Shetland ponies tethered to the tree and my brother and I always begged Dad to stop and let us see if we could ride them.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Edmond Bear
2ndguesser said:

That's alot of history to start your life.

Was the pool, the one downtown, near where Cricket's and Diamondbacks is today?

2ndguesser
When I mentioned pool, I meant billiards. The pool hall was entered from an alley behind the RT Dennis Building, between Austin and Franklin --- epicenter of the 1953 tornado. It was named Torrance's Recreation Hall and 25-30 young men were trapped inside when the tornado hit. Several died, including "Rabbit," who racked the balls, shined shoes, took the dime payment. Waco and LaVega high school kids and some Baylor boys played there. I never knew Rabbit's real name, but he was a great character. Pool halls still had a somewhat shady reputation in those days, but we Baptist boys got pretty salty at Rotation and 8-Ball.
2ndguesser
Bexar Pitts
2ndguesser said:

When I mentioned pool, I meant billiards. The pool hall was entered from an alley behind the RT Dennis Building, between Austin and Franklin --- epicenter of the 1953 tornado. It was named Torrance's Recreation Hall and 25-30 young men were trapped inside when the tornado hit. Several died, including "Rabbit," who racked the balls, shined shoes, took the dime payment. Waco and LaVega high school kids and some Baylor boys played there. I never knew Rabbit's real name, but he was a great character. Pool halls still had a somewhat shady reputation in those days, but we Baptist boys got pretty salty at Rotation and 8-Ball.
In the 60's, the Businessman's Club had some serious pool players downtown..Near the Waco Theater.(Hippodrome now) IIRC, there was a popular news stand close by where you went up the stairs to the tables. My memory gets worse by the day!
Steve Sadler
There was a SWIMMING pool just north of downtown--located, I think, near what would be now Waco High School and/or University Parks. Might have been a Cameron Park thing.
Edmond Bear
SSadler1 said:

There was a SWIMMING pool just north of downtown--located, I think, near what would be now Waco High School and/or University Parks. Might have been a Cameron Park thing.

Are you referring to the Natatorium at 4th and Mary?

https://wacohistory.org/items/show/132
Steve Sadler
No, what I am trying to remember was a pool somewhere along present University Parks between I-35 and Herring. Never swam there; and it's an old memory so I might have the image of a pool completely misplaced.
Bexar Pitts
SSadler1 said:

No, what I am trying to remember was a pool somewhere along present University Parks between I-35 and Herring. Never swam there; and it's an old memory so I might have the image of a pool completely misplaced.
Don't know if you're thinking about the Sun Pool..It was in South Waco behind the Cotton Palace grounds...The softball fields were right by the pool remnants.(.By Cesar Chavez Middle School on South 15th) ..I lived in South Waco when the tornado came through May 11th, 1953. It wasn't on the ground when the cloud went over our house near Bell's Hill area, but it touched down at some places around us and then hit the Sun Pool on it's way downtown, killing a young man who sought shelter in one of the pool's out structures..Seems like there may have been a pool around where the Cameron Park Zoo is now, but I never swam there either.
Nguyen One Soon
SSadler1 said:

Are you thinking of the old Kiwanis pool on 4th Street about Indiana or Tennessee?
Bexar Pitts
Nguyen One Soon said:

SSadler1 said:

Are you thinking of the old Kiwanis pool on 4th Street about Indiana or Tennessee?
Don't know about SSadler, but that's the one I was thinking of..Thanks! I do remember it now!
forza orsi
Bexar Pitts said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

SSadler1 said:

Don't know about SSadler, but that's the one I was thinking of..Thanks! I do remember it now!

My family's neck of the woods. For 60 years my family was about 3 of blocks away in the 700 block of Dewey. They had a grocery store there and lived upstairs from the store.
Steve Sadler
Nguyen One Soon said:

SSadler1 said:

Could have a winner.

forza orsi
Nguyen One Soon said:

SSadler1 said:

4th & Tennessee. As you turn into the present Cameron Park Zoo entrance, it's to the right. You can still see where it was on the satellite view map. It closed in the late 70s and became city maintenance's compost pile.
Bexar Pitts
That was a very active area back in the day. FabNit ( Holt's) had a large manufacturing facility and outlet store close by on 4th. A lot of Texas Jr.High and High Schools had their jerseys and letter jackets made there, and some colleges. They were a booming business for many years, I remember a large VFW Hall there on 4th and Tennessee, and it had a huge membership..they hosted some outstanding Texas bands at their special events. i once saw some of the original Texas Playboys perform there..They were awesome! I think Waco High football had a practice field down in that area, and remember the conditions on that field could get a little warm in the "hole" with no wind blowing.
CTbruin
Speaking of memories, during my Baylor days (68 to 72) we frequented Walker's Auditorium. House band was Sherman Evans and the Flames. Since we were in the minority, we had a special place in the front to the right of the stage. Good times!

Walker's was on Clifton Street a couple of blocks north of Waco Drive.
Yogi
2ndguesser said:

That's funny.

I love people who share self-deprecating humor.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.