High speed rail in Waco

8,048 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bexar Pitts
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

What is the Texas Central route? Am I safe to assume that runs parallel to and nearby the 35 corridor?
I put a link up in an earlier post in this thread..( 3rd post) It has good information about the project and a map of the route. Interesting project that's now caught up in politics...as many things currently are.
PartyBear
Thanks. For some reason I thought the Texas Central Route was a longer term proposal and a different line than the Dallas to Houston one.
Redbrickbear
Highspeed rail certainly works for China and its huge 1.3 billon person non-car owning population.

Just not sure it would work for America and its car owner based society.

Bexar Pitts
Redbrickbear said:

Highspeed rail certainly works for China and its huge 1.3 billon person non-car owning population.

Copy that on the Chinese demographics. However, I do think Texas routes between DFW/Houston and DFW/SanAntonio might work. There is now such a huge amount of commercial/private traffic on the 2 arterial Interstate connectors, that a high speed rail would offer a stress free method of travel for many riders that wish to avoid the headaches of the Interstate ."experience." I've been stuck in enough I-35 mega jams that I'd absolutely take a quick trip on a rail..but that's just me.
PartyBear
Bexar Pitts said:

Redbrickbear said:

Copy that on the Chinese demographics. However, I do think Texas routes between DFW/Houston and DFW/SanAntonio might work. There is now such a huge amount of commercial/private traffic on the 2 arterial Interstate connectors, that a high speed rail would offer a stress free method of travel for many riders that wish to avoid the headaches of the Interstate ."experience." I've been stuck in enough I-35 mega jams that I'd absolutely take a quick trip on a rail..but that's just me.
Additionally doesnt the train travel at about the speed of a commercial airline? If so it means if you go to SA non stop from Waco hypothetically it would be about a 30 minute ride.
trey3216
PartyBear said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Redbrickbear said:

Additionally doesnt the train travel at about the speed of a commercial airline? If so it means if you go to SA non stop from Waco hypothetically it would be about a 30 minute ride.
Not quite as fast, but damn fast. Waco to Dallas would be about 20 minutes. Waco to SA would be about 1hr due to a stop in Austin. I'd never drive to downtown Dallas or SA again. Train and Uber.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bexar Pitts
PartyBear said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Redbrickbear said:

The website mentions an initial speed target of 186 MPH.( in FAQ section)..making the Dallas/Houston run in about 90 minutes. It also says the train is capable of running at 205 MPH...and after an initial period, that may be closer to the final operating speed..
SSadler
A few years ago I road the Eurostar (?) high speed from London to Paris (as I'm sure some of you have). We were told we were at approximately 200 mph.

Great ride; going underneath the Channel had a bit of "closed in" feel for those who might have issues as such. And smooooooth ride. Really enjoyable. WAY better than a short air hop.

The only change I would make in the proposed DFW to Houston route would be a concession stop in Donie, Texas (halfway between Groesbeck and Buffalo, right about where the proposed route is projected).

Would invigorate the locals' economy by offering their steamed carp, mountain oysters, chittlins, hogshead cheese, fresh warm frothy milk (bovine or goat), friend chicken gizzards and cornpone. Probably no more than $5 bucks a head--all you can eat.
Bexar Pitts
SSadler said:

A few years ago I road the Eurostar (?) high speed from London to Paris (as I'm sure some of you have). We were told we were at approximately 200 mph.

Great ride; going underneath the Channel had a bit of "closed in" feel for those who might have issues as such. And smooooooth ride. Really enjoyable. WAY better than a short air hop.

The only change I would make in the proposed DFW to Houston route would be a concession stop in Donie, Texas (halfway between Groesbeck and Buffalo, right about where the proposed route is projected).

Would invigorate the locals' economy by offering their steamed carp, mountain oysters, chittlins, hogshead cheese, fresh warm frothy milk (bovine or goat), friend chicken gizzards and cornpone. Probably no more than $5 bucks a head--all you can eat.
Good old Donie, Tx! I'm more than familiar with that part of the world! Have mineral interests in the area, and used to own land near the megalopolis of Personville. Ever read the historical marker just up 39 from the old store? Once a booming little area until the train stopped running! I'm told the proposed route would be elevated over 50 percent of the way...including a viaduct over the super busy intersection of Texas 164 and 39! BTW, they've gone up to 5.25 on the "all you can stand" special ! :-)
SSadler
Bexar, my best bud from high school (class of '70 SALUTE) names Personville his home. He was raised there; went off to UT School of Engineering, and eventually came back home to Freestone County. Sims/Little families.

Beautiful country.
Bexar Pitts
SSadler said:

Bexar, my best bud from high school (class of '70 SALUTE) names Personville his home. He was raised there; went off to UT School of Engineering, and eventually came back home to Freestone County. Sims/Little families.

Beautiful country.
Small world...Both those family names are prominent in Limestone County history...Paid county taxes to a "Sims" for many years..but I won't hold that against them! :-) Personville is officially in Limestone County, but you can almost hit Freestone with a driver. 3 wood, and a wedge! Always enjoy your posts...Be well..
SSadler
Tax Collector was Alvin "Jep" Sims. He was a Groesbeck "city-slicker", but the Sims of Personville were his kinfolk. For years the "Sims Reunion" was one of the best dinner on the grounds you could find.

I've never known exactly where the county line runs north and south once you get past the roadsign. I just know you head east from Groesbeck and hang a right at the "Personville" sign to get to the home of Charles and Sue Little (my age--almost 70) who consider themselves "Personville" residents. Charles LIttle's Mother was Nelta Sims. Her nephew, Stephen Sims, was a decorated football QB and linebacker at Mexia--went to SMU on a football scholarship and is now back in Mexia practicing Law.

Have we now almost de-railed (yuk yuk) this thread on Central Texas Railway???
BUbearinARK
Redbrickbear said:

This map kinda looks like a mammogram
Wichitabear
SSadler said:

I'llskip that stop. Just not into hogsheads or chittlins. Lol
RightRevBear
I agree that we need to look at future transportation solutions. As Texas grows we are going to be faced with logistical difficulties. It is going to take longer and cost more to travel, expand, and maintain our highway system. With that said I also see the difficulties of high-speed mass transportation in Texas. We grow out a lot more than US cities with decent public transportation. We can't compare Texas cities to the east coast. It is an apples to oranges comparison.

I think looking at things such as high-speed rail is actually short sighted. When did we become people that were satisfied with copying Europe and Asia? I don't want to copy China. I want to out do them. I think we should look at other options such as Virgin Hyperloops. I loved flying on Virgin American Airlines, before they merged with Alaskan airlines. They are a top notch organization. Virgin is actually proposing a hyperloop line from DFW to Laredo. They travel at 600 mph. You will be able to get off at stations along the loop. It will take less land then a high-speed rail, so less eminent domain issues.

There are solutions to urban transportation which I agree is an issue with any non-automobile form of travel such as the Boring Company loops, etc.

Here are some links:

https://virginhyperloop.com/experience

https://virginhyperloop.com/project/texas

https://www.boringcompany.com/loop
nein51
That's super cool. Is it a pipe dream or does that technology exist?

Branson has always been interesting to me for his ability to just think of crazy crap then make it somehow work.

We are taking a cruise on Virgin in November. Was supposed to be on their maiden voyage pre Covid. Everything they do is first class. Excited to see how that translates on the seas.
RightRevBear
It is real. They have a small test/development loop outside of Las Vegas. The dev loop is only half a kilometer but the pod has reached speed of 387 km/h in it. Two people have ridden in a pod on the dev loop.

In 2022, they are going to start building a training center with a 6 mile loop in West Virginia. This center will allow for training, but federal regulators also plan to use it also to develop safety regulations.

Here are some more links about it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/virgin-hyperloop-west-virginia/exclusive-virgin-hyperloop-picks-west-virginia-to-test-high-speed-transport-system-idUSL1N2GY1LC

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2021-05-20/the-hyperloop-may-change-more-than-just-travel-video

trey3216
nein51 said:

Branson has always been interesting to me for his ability to just think of crazy crap then make it somehow work.

We are taking a cruise on Virgin in November. Was supposed to be on their maiden voyage pre Covid. Everything they do is first class. Excited to see how that translates on the seas.

Was the cruise going to take you underwater??
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
nein51
trey3216 said:

nein51 said:

Was the cruise going to take you underwater??

I think in an ideal world that's a no lol
Volunteer
Bexar Pitts said:

PartyBear said:

I would guess there will be more than just a Dallas to Houston line in a longer term plan. The Dallas/Houston line is probably an initial line.
I'm sure that's the ultimate goal, but I can tell you land acquisition hasn't been as easy nor as quick as had been hoped. The Texas Central planned route runs less than a half mile from some of my nat gas interests, and not all the property owners are on board with the idea.
And there is the problem. Property rights in Texas are strong and it's always a fight - even with eminent domain - to acquire the land. I suspect most land owners are amenable to high speed rail - as long as it doesn't run through their property. Plus there's always the folks suffering from the BANANA syndrome (build absolutely nothing around nobody anywhere). I've got to admit that I think high speed rail is an excellent idea, but I certainly wouldn't want the line to run through my ranch.

Seems like the best idea is to run the line down the medians of I35 and I45. But, I have no idea if that would be feasible given the cities through which the train would necessarily have to navigate.
PartyBear
There isn't much of a median anymore on 35 from DFW to SA. However from the renditions I have seen this thing looks more like the Monorail at WDW than it does a train in a track on the ground. So the idea might work. It would probably have to be practically flying with the rail line at least a couple hundred feet up to clear all the clover leaf over passes all along the way.
Bexar Pitts
PartyBear said:

There isn't much of a median anymore on 35 from DFW to SA. However from the renditions I have seen this thing looks more like the Monorail at WDW than it does a train in a track on the ground. So the idea might work. It would probably have to be practically flying with the rail line at least a couple hundred feet up to clear all the clover leaf over passes all along the way.
I'm not sure if the design plans are finalized, but the website states over 50% of the line will be elevated in viaduct fashion..with elevated berms used for most of the rest...with underpasses and overpasses utilized in those cases. Quite a lot of information on their web page..but again, with the current delay I'm not sure how much of that, if any, is "set in stone." Edit: that is info for the DFW-Houston route https://www.texascentral.com/project/
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.