I-35 and University Parks

11,656 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cowboycwr
Pseudo3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I swear I remember reading that nearly a decade after redeveloping the southwest corner of I-35 and University Parks as green space for Baylor (Ivy Square, Jim's, Best Western, et. al.) some redevelopment is coming to the space. Is there any revealed plans for this or all just talk? Seems like a prime space for something interesting.
Edmond Bear

Baylor broke ground on the Hurd Howdy Hut a few months ago at that corner.

https://www.baylor.edu/givelight/index.php?id=956667
Yogi
Should have placed the new Basketball Pavilion there instead as a compromise.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
T-REX
Yogi said:

then put the welcome center "downtown"? then it is basically the same issue but flipped. then we say welcome to campus but not on campus lol
Shamgar
Why not have both there as one facility/building? Doesn't seem like there would a lot of instances where both uses would need to happen at the same time.
whitetrash
Edmond Bear said:

If they turned dirt there with shovels, as soon as the crowd left they put some squares of sod back down because there is no activity on that corner except for the I-35 construction.
southtexasbear
whitetrash said:

Edmond Bear said:

If they turned dirt there with shovels, as soon as the crowd left they put some squares of sod back down because there is no activity on that corner except for the I-35 construction.
That would be correct because of Covid. All came to a stop.

(Edit: After re-reading the link above, I noticed the official "Breaking Ground" was February 2020. March 2020....screeching halt!!!!)
Grinnin bear
Never really understood why the Fieldhouse and the new Welcome Center were not one facility.
Edmond Bear
Grinnin bear said:

Never really understood why the Fieldhouse and the new Welcome Center were not one facility.

It is going to be one of many buildings on that space.

From the link- "Anchoring a larger development on the property, the Mark & Paula Hurd Welcome Center will feature a 120,000-square-foot complex designed to create interest and enthusiasm in the University through a high-tech and interactive experience. The welcome center will serve as the hub for visitors to Baylor's campus. Strategic development of the property surrounding the new facility is anticipated to include businesses that will solidify the center as a travel and visitor destination for both Baylor and the Waco community."

But, I'm with you. I'd love to see the Hurd center share a lobby with a new fieldhouse and parking. Seems like a Baylor sports HOF with a National Championship exhibit and trophy, next to an alumni center with prominent alumni featured (build a vision in a recruit) would be a great place to start a campus tour.

jbbear
Grinnin bear said:

Can you name one other D1 school that combines both in the same building?
Edmond Bear
jbbear said:

Grinnin bear said:

No. Is that relevant?

Wichitabear
T-REX said:

Yogi said:

then put the welcome center "downtown"? then it is basically the same issue but flipped. then we say welcome to campus but not on campus lol
It's on Campus! Remember
bowdedg
Hurd Welcome Center will have activity next month. Things are getting ready to start. Feel bad for employees that will be working there, as traffic is already bad with the I35 road work.
No Longer Gold
jbbear said:

Grinnin bear said:

Arkansas
PartyBear
Why does a welcome center need to have the square footage of a typical Super Walmart? Why does the building need to have an interior size of about 4 acres? Doesn't that seem to be excessive for a Welcome Center?
Edmond Bear
PartyBear said:

Why does a welcome center need to have the square footage of a typical Super Walmart? Why does the building need to have an interior size of about 4 acres? Doesn't that seem to be excessive for a Welcome Center?

Why do you comment negatively on things you have no idea about? If you would have spent a half a second of research you would know it is not just a welcome center.

If you would spend a tiny amount of effort before you post, I probably wouldn't see other people commenting about you in other threads about how little you know.

PartyBear
I actually figured that but there are folks here saying we couldn't combine a basketball arena with a Welcome Center. I'm glad though you thoroughly research everything before you post. Your posts don't stand out to me so I had not noticed. I'm glad you take great care and preparation before you chit chat.
jbbear
Swart Dra said:

jbbear said:

Grinnin bear said:

Arkansas
Great. Even more reason not to.
Moondoggie
PartyBear said:

I actually figured that but there are folks here saying we couldn't combine a basketball arena with a Welcome Center. I'm glad though you thoroughly research everything before you post. Your posts don't stand out to me so I had not noticed. I'm glad you take great care and preparation before you chit chat.

Way to stick up for yourself. You tell em, partybear.

And yes, I did all of the requisite research into both Edmond bear and party bear before I posted.
SSadler
PartyBear said:

40 miles to the south is a GREAT model (though much smaller in scale than what we would need), but the concept works wonderfully of what Baylor might do in blending visitor's center and bb Pavilion.

West (home) side of UMHB football stadium opens at the level of the top row/pressbox into a spacious student life space, fully enclosed. When entering from the student life side you would walk across the entire foyer to a floor to ceiling glass wall that looks out over the football field. You do not hear (or sweat since you're completely outside) the football game other than a few muted yells. But you have the colorful dynamic of college life right before you.

Separate entrances and monitors for fans who have JUST a football ticket as opposed to those who have football ticket AND a guest/ID card admittance to the visitor's center.

The student life space is filled with small vending of food, souvenirs, photo essays around the walls. Large, clean restrooms, etc. Multi level. With lower level including class rooms and multipurpose rooms.

Instead of student life square footage, such footage could be dedicated to a visitor's center (where BU would gladly sell you a ticket to the bball game going on on the other side of the plate glass). The only limitation on how to blend (on the much larger scale Baylor would want) a beautiful visitor's center and a bball only pavillion would be the architect's budget and property footages.

Since the consensus of conversations says no to Ferrell site, then reclaim the Towers and its adjoining property and be a trend setter for other universities.

First time I heard of the idea I hated it; first time I went to a ball game there, I loved it. No reason a small college concept could not be borrowed, upsized and used for a major National Champion University.
PartyBear
I just thought the location across the Dutton garage all the way to about Russell Hall (practically next door to Penland ) and along 35 would be a perfect spot for an on campus hoops arena. If a visitor center just had to be there, I couldn't see why they couldn't be the same complex.
VaeBear
A similar, bigger version of this is at Minute Maid Park in Houston. The old Union Station is connected to the ball park. Union Station contains offices for the Astros, gift shop for stadium tours, and you can rent out the top deck for parties.
Grinnin bear
Dr Sadler is getting the idea. Plus, could relocate the Baylor Bookstore to the Pavilion/Welcome Center.

Notre Dame has a great store on campus. So does the University of Georgia.
Edmond Bear
Grinnin bear said:

Dr Sadler is getting the idea. Plus, could relocate the Baylor Bookstore to the Pavilion/Welcome Center.

Notre Dame has a great store on campus. So does the University of Georgia.

Maybe the Mark and Paula Hurd Court is not named after Mark and Paula Hurd the people but the Mark and Paula Hurd Welcome Center.

Dr. Livingstone on Sunday, "Oh, when we announced the court and the start of construction on the Welcome Center, we meant to say......"
jason_cook
A new Baylor Bookstore - focused on spirit items, not books - is part of the Hurd Center scope.
BaylorHistory
jason_cook said:

A new Baylor Bookstore - focused on spirit items, not books - is part of the Hurd Center scope.
In addition to the current one or as replacement? I love a college bookstore.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
jason_cook said:

Make Follett throw in some cash
BaylorHistory
Brian Ethridge said:

jason_cook said:

I worked for them when I was at BU for a summer. I don't think they how to find their checkbook.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BaylorHistory said:

Brian Ethridge said:

jason_cook said:

I worked for them when I was at BU for a summer. I don't think they how to find their checkbook.
I did as well.
BaylorHistory
Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

Brian Ethridge said:

jason_cook said:

I did as well.
I got really good at putting tape on boxes.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BaylorHistory said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

Brian Ethridge said:

jason_cook said:

I did as well.
I got really good at putting tape on boxes.
Changing prices with lighter fluid.
Bearicade
How is this building oriented? Main entrance with columns facing University Parks, or 35?
I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Sampi82
Bearicade said:

How is this building oriented? Main entrance with columns facing University Parks, or 35?

May have changed or may not be accurate but based on the renderings I've seen, the entrance will be facing University Parks.
“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
PartyBear
That was my understanding as well all along is that it will face University Parks. It appears 35 will be raised right through that area anyway. Not raised as much as Austin's second deck or anything. But high enough that it runs at a level about as high as the high point of the IHOP building roof. There would not be a good view of the building from 35 running right next to it anyway.
jason_cook
Confirming primary entrance will face UParks; however, a major secondary entrance will face toward campus. We've kept the I35 elevation in consideration ... we are bringing in dirt to raise the foundation. You will be able to see the building from the interstate.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.