I-35 and University Parks

11,728 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cowboycwr
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jason_cook said:

Confirming primary entrance will face UParks; however, a major secondary entrance will face toward campus. We've kept the I35 elevation in consideration ... we are bringing in dirt to raise the foundation. You will be able to see the building from the interstate.
That's what I think would be nice. People need to see it.
Gunny Hartman
Pseudo3D said:

I swear I remember reading that nearly a decade after redeveloping the southwest corner of I-35 and University Parks as green space for Baylor (Ivy Square, Jim's, Best Western, et. al.) some redevelopment is coming to the space. Is there any revealed plans for this or all just talk? Seems like a prime space for something interesting.

Point of information: I believe you intended to refer to the southeast corner of I-35 and University Parks, where the Hurd Howdy Hut is being built (credit: Edmond Bear).

Clarified for those of us that don't make it back to Waco as much as we'd like to, perhaps because we have entirely too many kids at a somewhat advanced age.
Pseudo3D
Gunny Hartman said:

Pseudo3D said:

I swear I remember reading that nearly a decade after redeveloping the southwest corner of I-35 and University Parks as green space for Baylor (Ivy Square, Jim's, Best Western, et. al.) some redevelopment is coming to the space. Is there any revealed plans for this or all just talk? Seems like a prime space for something interesting.

Point of information: I believe you intended to refer to the southeast corner of I-35 and University Parks, where the Hurd Howdy Hut is being built (credit: Edmond Bear).

Clarified for those of us that don't make it back to Waco as much as we'd like to, perhaps because we have entirely too many kids at a somewhat advanced age.

I think I was going on the orientation of "Waco North", where University Parks runs "North and South" whereas others like Franklin Avenue run east and west.
Tiny Elvis
Edmond Bear said:

It is going to be one of many buildings on that space.

From the link- "Anchoring a larger development on the property, the Mark & Paula Hurd Welcome Center will feature a 120,000-square-foot complex designed to create interest and enthusiasm in the University through a high-tech and interactive experience. The welcome center will serve as the hub for visitors to Baylor's campus. Strategic development of the property surrounding the new facility is anticipated to include businesses that will solidify the center as a travel and visitor destination for both Baylor and the Waco community."

So I'm guessing there will be a Bucee's next door to the Hurd Center?
Yogi
Nah. Bucee's is totally Aggy,.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Edmond Bear
Yogi said:

Nah. Bucee's is totally Aggy,.

Never thought about it before but this is totally true.

It is giant, loud, fixated on an animal, and full of gas. It's a great place to pee.

Yogi
PartyBear said:

I actually figured that but there are folks here saying we couldn't combine a basketball arena with a Welcome Center. I'm glad though you thoroughly research everything before you post. Your posts don't stand out to me so I had not noticed. I'm glad you take great care and preparation before you chit chat.
Don't mock Ivy Square Garden!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Redbrickbear
PartyBear said:

Why does a welcome center need to have the square footage of a typical Super Walmart? Why does the building need to have an interior size of about 4 acres? Doesn't that seem to be excessive for a Welcome Center?
Also, why does it have to be so ugly.

I mean I understand that modern architects can't resist the impulse to look at a beautiful historic campus and say "how can I ruin this"... but come on.
Booboo Bear
Tiny Elvis said:

Edmond Bear said:

From the link- "Anchoring a larger development on the property, the Mark & Paula Hurd Welcome Center will feature a 120,000-square-foot complex designed to create interest and enthusiasm in the University through a high-tech and interactive experience. The welcome center will serve as the hub for visitors to Baylor's campus. Strategic development of the property surrounding the new facility is anticipated to include businesses that will solidify the center as a travel and visitor destination for both Baylor and the Waco community."

So I'm guessing there will be a Bucee's next door to the Hurd Center?
Shoulda been a field house.

(Yeah, I'm still bitter.)
quash
Edmond Bear said:

Grinnin bear said:

Never really understood why the Fieldhouse and the new Welcome Center were not one facility.

But, I'm with you. I'd love to see the Hurd center share a lobby with a new fieldhouse and parking. Seems like a Baylor sports HOF with a National Championship exhibit and trophy, next to an alumni center with prominent alumni featured (build a vision in a recruit) would be a great place to start a campus tour.

So... bring back the businesses that were lost in the teardown for green space?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Pseudo3D
quash said:

Edmond Bear said:

Grinnin bear said:

Never really understood why the Fieldhouse and the new Welcome Center were not one facility.

But, I'm with you. I'd love to see the Hurd center share a lobby with a new fieldhouse and parking. Seems like a Baylor sports HOF with a National Championship exhibit and trophy, next to an alumni center with prominent alumni featured (build a vision in a recruit) would be a great place to start a campus tour.

A few months ago, I created an entire page on what exactly was torn down, but I don't think you'll find anyone clamoring to bring back what was lost. Since Ivy Square and the other retail was torn down, Interstate 35 from Brazos River to Valley Mills has had a lot more commercial development.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Pseudo3D said:

quash said:

Edmond Bear said:

Grinnin bear said:

A few months ago, I created an entire page on what exactly was torn down, but I don't think you'll find anyone clamoring to bring back what was lost. Since Ivy Square and the other retail was torn down, Interstate 35 from Brazos River to Valley Mills has had a lot more commercial development.

Agreed

Those will be replaced by higher end development and better coding.
SSadler
I don't know. For 40 years I've had a hole in my heart for that ceramics arts and crafts store where eveyone created a plaster Baylor shield to be hung on the wall. Only problem it weighted about 10 lbs and you had to drill massive wall mounts into your sheet rock to get the thing to hand on the wall.

BaylorHistory
Pseudo3D said:

quash said:

Edmond Bear said:

Grinnin bear said:

Wow that's amazing.
Old300Bear
SSadler said:

I don't know. For 40 years I've had a hole in my heart for that ceramics arts and crafts store where eveyone created a plaster Baylor shield to be hung on the wall. Only problem it weighted about 10 lbs and you had to drill massive wall mounts into your sheet rock to get the thing to hand on the wall.

John's Plaster Gallery. Looking at my shield as I type.

Fred Barber
Pseudo3D
BaylorHistory said:

Pseudo3D said:

quash said:

Edmond Bear said:

Grinnin bear said:

Wow that's amazing.
Thanks! I'm always looking to improve and expand it.
cowboycwr
I saw something saying the I-35 expansion is set to finish next year ahead of schedule.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.