Waco Par 3

2,405 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SSadler
FairwayBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assuming this is the right place for this post, forgive me if not.

I was recently in my hometown of Austin and happened to hear about the renovation of Butler Pitch & Putt. For those that don't know, BPP is a 9-hole par 3 course (holes are 70-100 yards) that has been around forever and is in the downtown area. It has never been in good shape, but it was recently renovated by Coore & Crenshaw. It has now turned into a really cool spot to hang out and hit some short golf shots.

I happened to be there on a night that they were having their weekly par 3 league. It was pretty cool and the guys looked like they had a ton of fun. This got me thinking since we have 2 par 3 courses in Waco between Cottonwood and Lake Waco. I wanted to see if there would be any interest in getting a weekly par 3 league going for a month or two this summer as we wait for the return of football. The benefit of the par 3 is that it's still fun, but you don't have to be in the heat as long as a full round of golf. Thinking of doing individual and team competitions and having a season points competition to have a league champion.

Feel free to respond or message me if you are interested.

About FairwayBear- young Baylor grad and former college golfer

MrGolfguy
The one at Cottonwood is really a pitch & putt as all 9 holes are less than 100 yds (most between 50 & 70). Sadly the greens are pretty bad now because the winter storm in Feb really did a number on them.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
If I was in Waco I'd be down for it with LW, SW combo
BaylorHistory
RIP Bogey's and whatever that pasture was called out in Speegleville. If I was any good I would join in, but nobody needs to be around a guy shooting a 120 on a nine hole par 3.
CammoTX
I recall playing Battle Lake for like $10.

RIP
MrGolfguy
BaylorHistory said:

RIP Bogey's and whatever that pasture was called out in Speegleville.
Seago's
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BaylorHistory
MrGolfguy said:

BaylorHistory said:

RIP Bogey's and whatever that pasture was called out in Speegleville.
Seago's
Bingo, thanks
BaylorHistory
CammoTX said:

RIP
Hey Mon-Fri walking is only $15 and there's always plenty of wildlife.
baylrballa
I might could be talked into it.
southtexasbear
Could be fun. Count me in
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BaylorHistory said:

CammoTX said:

RIP
and that's just the beer cart drivers
FairwayBear
Just a little more detail about what I was thinking:

A test run at Cottonwood par 3 course seems ideal. It's short and easy so it'll help even the skill level a bit. I know the greens aren't great, but I can look past that. I've played worse haha.

As far as format, this is what I had in mind:

-9 holes of individual play
-then pair up based on indy scores
-9 holes of team play.

So two different competitions which will be fun. I'm also never against some side competitions. The short course takes no time to play so I imagine it would take about 60-75 minutes to play 18. Seems like this could happen one night a week (maybe a Wednesday or Thursday). Just shoot me a pm if interested and I can start to get a list together.
SSadler
Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

CammoTX said:

RIP
and that's just the beer cart drivers
Does Battle Lake still have the "Birdie Girls" or the "Bogey Gals" or whatever they were called?

Battle Lake and I go back all the way to 1966 when, by design, the course had "dirt greens". Think a 20' x 20' square of dug out sod. Hard packed sand layered on top. The player who was away raked a trail to the hole and then every player putted that same putt. Not a blade of grass on the "dirt green".

Guess you'd have to have been there . . . .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.